Can I get a water heater retro fitted?

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:53 am
by BenW (deleted)

Hi. Given the current "situation" we are looking to upgrade to an Eriba with a "wet room" however not all vans with them have hot water systems. Can they be retro fitted, and if so have you had one done, where and what is the cost? I am thinking electric rather than combi, however happy to receive advice and helpful tips. Thanks!

Scroll up

RE: Can I get a water heater retro fitted?

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:10 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

I must confess that I have never previously heard the term 'wet room' linked with 'Eriba'.

Washrooms in Eribas are not sealed and spraying water about in them is asking for trouble with rotted woodwork and a rusted steel frame. My advice would be to use the sink for washing and teeth cleaning and for any other more serious ablutions to use campsite facilities.

Retro-fitting hot water systems is of course possible but it will be expensive and take up what otherwise would be internal storage space. We have discussed the desirability of onboard hot water systems at some length and while some of us wouldn't be without hot water on tap, others see little need for it and as with all such considerations, it's a matter of personal choice and depth of wallet.

Do a search on 'hot water'. I'm pretty sure someone revived an old thread on the subject only a couple of days ago.

See here: Hot water thread

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Williebraveheart, and Pepé Le Pew like this post!
Last edited Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:17 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:49 pm
by correzeian (deleted)

Hi BenW

We had a Truma water heater fitted when e bought our Troll 530, have found it very useful for ablutions (not a wet room) and washing up especially if the weather deters us from using camp facilities. The cost was 500€ (we live in France) but we were given a discount on the van. Hope this helps.

Correzeian

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:28 am
by Nthurrzzz (deleted)

We had an electric truma water heater fitted. We are glad we did as we like the hot water. It was a bit pricey (I forget what it was) but we are pleased with it.
Worth noting that you need to be on mains hook up to work.

Regarding space - we have a Troll and we didn’t loose any storage space as it was installed in the bit at the back where you have a the curved seat cushion that runs along the whole back that you don’t sit on.

~ N

~ 530 and proud
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:40 am
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Ben,
I thought i had already posted on this.
I retro fitted hot water back in 2011 to a Famila. This was a one sink/basin set-up. It cost me about £500 in parts of which the tap was fairly expensive. On newer vans, post 2010, you may be able to use the existing taps as they are hot/cold and not just the standard cold. I used a Propex electric heater instead of the usual Truma. I prefer this to the Truma as it is 10L as opposed to 5L and has a thermostat instead of one set temperature. CAK Tanks supplied the 45L onboard tank, who can weld your fittings on if given time for a small cost. Leisureshopdirect supplied heater, pipes, fittings. Tap was purchased off e-bay. Electrics from Clearcut conversions. It took about two days to do and shows what a good price a factory installatio is if anybody was ordering a new van.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:12 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:46 am
by Eribacamper | 111 Posts

I've just completed a retro fit of the Propex electric water storage heater and it was surprisingly easy! Total cost including heater, 10mtr hot water pipe, Fiamma Aqua 8 Caravan Water Pump , Fiamma A20 Universal Expansion Tank ( both not necessary but what the hay), Plastic P-Clip Pipe & Cable Clamp (10 Pack) for £312 from https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/

I used the original Y connectors from the taps to connect the heater/cold water etc.

I put the heater under the fixed bed of our Troll 550.

Heater under the fixed bed

20200616_122554.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

20200616_122559.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

20200616_122625.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

This shows the new pump and expansion tank. I removed the Truma pump from the storage tank extended the hose to the new external pump.

20200616_144048.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

The reason for fitting the new pump was to future proof myself if I ever want to add an external shower I'll have plenty of pressure. Might be over kill but again, what the hay.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:54 am

A nice neat job and a very good price. The Propex I fitted on my Familia in 2011 was a 10L capacity and obviously took up more space.
The location is as my current Triton. What I have found useful is fitting a plywood box around it so I don't bash it. I've also put a false top on this set just above it so I have about 150mm of usable storage above this top. it. I sit a laundry bag on this and just lift the mattress up to drop dirty laundry into the bag. Works a treat.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:52 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:59 am
by Eribacamper | 111 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #7
What I have found useful is fitting a plywood box around it so I don't bash it.

Was thinking of doing that myself! Thanks.

This is also a 10ltr tank.
A nice little project that took a day and a half.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:03 am

This is the one I fitted. Yours looks a lot more compact.
p_water heater location-800.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Colin

Eribacamper likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 54 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6