If you are looking to buy a new Eriba do you really need a hot water boiler?

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:51 pm
by Soulbluesman (deleted)

I have just been reading the interesting thread on the Troll 535 and studied the visuals with the moved fridge and boiler on Randa's last contribution and it has brought back a discussion my wife and I had about the need for the hot water in our Troll 540. Some of you will remember that I had to ask for help from the Forum in getting it to work correctly. This is now sorted but we now feel that we may have wasted a few hundred pounds on something we don't really need.

When we ordered our Troll we had long discussions with Cameron from AL about the value of the boiler. When we talked about how we would use the Eriba Cameron wondered if we really needed it, considering how much it would cost as an option.In the end my wife decided that she needed a supply of hot water as we got older.

Having had the van a year we are pretty clear that we will always use sites with good shower facilities and rarely, if ever, go anywhere without an EHU. If we want any hot water in the van we tend to boil the kettle. Given the time it takes for the boiler to heat up and the gas/electricity it takes we simply don't use it at all.

I was wondering if other people feel the same. I would suggest to any new member thinking of buying a new Eriba, other than the Troll 535, that they give it a lot of thought before splashing the cash. MikeT

WendyT likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: If you are looking to buy a new Eriba do you really need a hot water boiler?

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:04 pm
by highmiler | 367 Posts

Hi Soulbluesman,

We have a 2001 Troll, rather than a hot water system we bought a Superkettle which gives us a supply of hot water when we have EHU, otherwise we use a saucepan on the cooker. We have had the van since late 2014, and had some long trips of 2-4 weeks away in Europe. We don't use the sinks or the water supply
via taps, we buy 5 litre flagons of water when we are away and just use all the facilities available on the site, when we are travelling, we wash up with wet wipes!

I contemplated a hot water system but the cost ruled it out, Eriba's are small and beautiful and we go for the simple life, run a dry ship , less hassle.
Less water more beer/ wine room.

Highmiler.Troll 530GT and Skoda 2.0 TDi
Poptop320 and WendyT like this post!
Scroll up

RE: If you are looking to buy a new Eriba do you really need a hot water boiler?

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:23 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

We have "camped" for 3 to 4 weeks each year in France with electric hook ups and good facilities, These have been supported by odd weekends on UK sites with facilities.
Eriba no 1 was bought used with cold water and two on-board small water canisters.
Eriba no 2 was ordered new with a Truma electric water heater and on-board 30L tank under instructions of Mrs eribaMotters. We loved it.
Eriba no 3 bought used and I fitted a Propex electric water heater and on-board 45L tank. Fantastic.
Eriba no 4 ordered new with Truuma electric water heater and on-board 30L tank. Perfect.
We like our hot water. It has cost about £600 including 30L tank each van. We do use on-site shower facilities and sinks for the dirty washing up [Cadac etc]. We use it for general dish washing and morning/evening wash. We would not be without it, but each to there own. This is what is good about eriba ownership.

Colin

Skoda Yeti diesel 2wd _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice new white 430.
WendyT likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:29 pm
by pianosteve (deleted)

I'm caught right in the middle of this conundrum...
When I go away on my own the boiler never gets switched on. I use the site facilities for showering and washing up.
When I go away with the wife the boiler is in use non-stop as she insists on showering in the van.
I guess you have to work out how you'll use the van and then plan and purchase accordingly.
Horses for courses.

WendyT likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:27 pm
by Frantone (deleted)

We have the Truma Therme hot water system supplied from an external aquaroll. We prefer to do the washing up in the van and have hot water for hand washing, shaving etc.

I know there will be fellow Eriba owners queuing up to say it's unnecessary or too expensive or not in the true spirit of real camping but basically ......we want it!

Tony & Frances

Troll gently nudging up against Galaxy.
Pepé Le Pew, thecolliss and WendyT like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:26 pm
by Magpie | 672 Posts

We appreciate the convenience of ready hot water when pitched a distance away from the washing up facilities and it's cold, dark and rainy or when the site showers are tepid. (I can just manage to shower in the van, though himself cannot). Like most other things it's a matter of choice.

WendyT likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:24 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.463 Posts

We didn't have hot water in our PuckL. When we moved up to the 420 we had the hot water system, we used it occasionally. Now we have a 530, no hot water system, haven't really missed it yet but we always use sites with facilities and can boil a kettle for the odd washing up session in the van.
Each to their own, no two Eriba's are the same and that applies to their owners and how they use their vans.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
WendyT likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:50 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

We have it but never use it.

WendyT likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:58 am
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I use a super kettle as well it gives me 3 litres of boiling water which is enough to have a wash and do the pots during the day, I just keep it topped up. I also use it home so its been in constant use 24/7 for the last 2 years...

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
WendyT likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:24 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

We always stay on sites with full facilities and make use of them so we have very little need for hot water in the caravan, apart from for brewing tea.

A small, two-cup 800W kettle is perfect for this and will not trip a 6A supply.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
and WendyT like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:07 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

I consider hot water as an essential. Would be first on my wish list if it wasn't fitted from new. I switch the thermostat on on arrival and put it off when leaving. So handy for washing hands, rinsing cups, etc. Without having to treck to facilities or take up space and a socket with an urn. Boiling up on gas seems archaic to me.

Each to their own.

Stewart

Triton 420 GT 2008. Skoda Superb MK111 Saloon
WendyT likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:03 pm
by Tonks (deleted)

On one hand I have always considered hot water an essential and have it on my 2015 Troll. We have the Truma Electric/Gas Hot Water and the optional 30 Litre water tank. That being said, after two trips in our new van I'm not so sure about the 'essential' element. I filled the 30 Litre tank on my last trip to Black Knowl and it lasted me from the Sunday until I left on the Thursday. We do use the onsite facilities for showering and any really dirty washing up etc, so mainly use the onboard hot water for light washing up....So I suppose we could have boiled the kettle and therefore not as essential as I first thought.

Ford S Max tugging along a new to us 2015 Eriba Troll 530GT.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:29 pm
by thecolliss | 137 Posts

Why would you not want hot water on tap.
Cameron always makes the same comment, go with two separate internal 15ltr water containers and boil a kettle.
The space where the two15ltr containers fit is more useful storage space.
A 30ltr internal tank & truma heater is superb.
Cameron would also suggest keeping warm by rubbing two boy scouts together !!

Last edited Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:52 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:46 pm
by Soulbluesman (deleted)

Poor Cameron!!!!!!!!!

I thought that the advice he gave us on lots of things was good and fitted with our needs

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:35 pm
by BenW (deleted)

Does anyone know how much it would cost to have a Truma gas/elec boiler with a 30l on board tank fitted to a Troll, and who would do this? Are there other options to provide hot water when this is not already fitted?

likes this post!
Last edited Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:36 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 57 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5