Spare wheel change on Troll

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:19 pm
by Scottish Troll (deleted)

Please forgive me and my newby question.

I have a new Eriba Troll Ocean Drive and about to head out on 21st July for the first time. If i get a flat tyre on the Troll is there a Jack for the wheel? I can't find one enywere? Or do I simply use the caravan corner stability stays and jack them up to the max?

Thanks in advance,

Craig

Scroll up

RE: Spare wheel change on Troll

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:51 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.309 Posts

Craig,
Bad news, you do not get a jack with your Eriba. Do not attempt to lift the van using the corner steadies as they are what the name says, steadies. If you try then you will damage your van
You are very limited on your choice of jack. A trolley jack will fit under the axle [the correct location for lifting] but these are fairly heavy. I use one at home to lift my van if needed. In the van I carry a Coram/Land Rover bottle jack. This I believe is the only one that will fit under your axle. It has a broad base, is squat, and the double lift ram gives the lift you need. These are not cheap. I doubbt you would like to pay the £180+ new price for one and prefer to source a second hand unit from a breakers on e-bay. Make sure it comes with the long two bar handle.
If you have alloy wheels and a spare steel you should have been given another set of wheel bolts for this spare. Do not use those that hold the alloy wheel in place.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
, Poptop320 and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:29 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.608 Posts

I would only carry out a tyre change as a last resort, caravans can be inherently unbalanced when changing a wheel. My first resort would be a breakdown service which incorporates your caravan. I use Green flag Mayday as they cover the van without the car been attached. In an emergency I carry a small bottle jack, and it is placed under the axle as close as the wheel you can get it, leaving the van attached to the car. The Eriba has used various T chassis over the years the most common is probably the AL-KO which has a tubular axle, the Land Rover type bottle jack with the cradle is best suited. The BPW chassis has a square axle and the standard bottle jack can be used. My 2015 Familia has a BPW chassis with a square axle.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:43 pm
by Scottish Troll (deleted)

Thanks Colin

Similar to this?

jack.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I am glad i checked with you guys.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:58 pm

Quote: Scottish Troll wrote in post #4
Thanks Colin
Similar to this?

I am glad i checked with you guys.
I

That's what I carry, just check that you have a square BPW axle. If it's round you will need the jack that Colin recommended..

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:59 pm

Last edited Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:01 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:33 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.309 Posts

I think it is to tall. With a correctly inflated tyre you only have 230mm at best, with a flat probably 170mm. The cradle toped Coram jack only just fits and it is the shortest bottle jack you can buy.
CORAM - 1 -cradle top Land Rover bottle jack.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)CORAM - 2 -cradle top Land Rover bottle jack.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
, and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:44 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

I carry a trolley jack in the boot of the car. Can be purchased very cheaply E-bay, Aldi, Lidl, etc. Does the job well and more stable than a bottle jack.

Stewart

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Mercedes GLA 220d 4Matic
and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:41 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

I hitch the car on to hold the van steady, then use the supplied car jack, but I only have the 750Kg Familia.

Just done it in order to remove the "winter wheels" and fit the road wheels as we are off to Banchory.

Dave

PS Car jacks are usually very low to get under a jacking point when you have a flat tyre

Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 320GT

likes this post!
Last edited Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:42 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:11 pm

This little fellow fits under the axle, only use this one if you have a BPW axle with a flat surface. As Sportique says if you have one with your car that will probably be ok..

IMG_20200713_210533.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte).

likes this post!
Last edited Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:16 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 43 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105657 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3