In a pickle with CRIS...

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:21 am
by Deraldos Maisonblanc (deleted)

Dear fellow Eriba owners,

Following the damage incurred to my 530 during a recent excursion (covered in my post maiden voyage...) I have submitted a claim to my insurers, Eric Pickles, who are underwritten by MB&G. I have now had a curt email reply requesting further information in order to validate my claim. One of the requests is for a copy of the CRIS certificate.....

I am aware of what CRIS provides and my understanding is that it is not a pre requisite for insurance. I didn't think the process was worth it, especially as my van is always under close control with ample security and I declared that it wasn't CRIS registered when I took the policy out. However, I know that insurers will try anything to evade liability. On checking my policy schedule it lists CRIS/serial number the / being of possible useful relevance should the claims handler choose to make an issue of this.

I would value any advice or experience any of you may have had regarding this potential issue - hopefully my concern will not materialise but my suspicion is based on why they would ask for something like this when it has no bearing whatsoever on the claim and it should be clear if they check my schedule that the van is not CRIS registered.

Thanks all

D

Per Terram - 2017 530 with Skoda Superb
Scroll up

RE: In a pickle with CRIS...

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:16 pm
by Randa france | 12.886 Posts

Hi D hi.
Ouch. There is a lot of talk regarding CRiS on here if you use the search engine.

However, Have you read the small print on your insurance document? I discovered, last year I think, that upon reading my policy renewal, I was expected to get the van registered with CRiS which would cost the sharp end of £60.00. Furthermore, the insurance company wanted the van to be annually serviced by a reputable caravan engineer. If you did inform them at the time you insured the van that your van was not CRiS registered then if there was an issue they should have drawn it to your attention at the time.

Can I ask an obvious question? Why do they need a CRiS registration? You're van wasn't nicked at the time of the accident. It was with you and you must have many other forms of identifying the van including photographs..

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

likes this post!
Last edited Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:18 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:51 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

I've just checked my policy documents (I'm with Alan Blunden & Co., Southend trading as 'Cover4Caravans'; the cover is via Chilli Underwriting on behalf of Zenith Insurance) and my schedule shows the CRIS number as my caravan serial number VGNTRTN0000#######.

I seem to recall that when this question of CRIS registration was queried by one of our members a year or so ago, I contacted Cover4Caravans and was told that the serial number was perfectly acceptable. As you know, I had a claim for bodywork damage a bit like yours and there was no problem with their settlement.

See this thread post #7: CRIS number?

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

, Randa france and like this post!
Last edited Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:55 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:53 pm

Hi Randa,

Thanks for your response.

I'm confident that I covered the absence of CRIS registration and I can not find anything to the contrary in the paperwork. Re the obvious question you ask - I am asking exactly the same. The van wasn't stolen so it has no bearing on the claim. I suspect it may be an excuse to invalidate my claim.

I will catch up with the CRIS thread but I am satisfied I made an informed decision not to have it registered. In my opinion it only provides an added means of identifying a van post theft. As we know theres very little police resources to investigate such matters, so I decided to spend my money on securing my van to prevent theft. - I clamp both wheels and the hitch with different recognised security devices. Separately I would also consider a tracker before CRIS registration.

I shall see what happens when I provide the quote and purchase receipt etc.

Cheers

D

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:09 pm

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your response - it provides me with some reassurance and suggests that CRIS is not a requirement throughout the caravan insurance industry. I think I may be being a little over concerned. Probably due to a bad experience I had years ago when my landrover defender was stolen from my driveway. It took me six months of battling before they settled - basically I had to prove I wasn't complicit in the theft of my own vehicle! One accusation they posed was they couldn't understand why I didn't hear the thieves and intervene whilst they were quietly uplifting my defender (I was in bed at the time)... think the experience has left me scarred. But hey ho I'm still hear to tell the tale - I was quite a fit unit back then and would have confronted anyone messing with my beloved Landy but may have come off 2nd best against a team of Gypsies.
Anyhow I digress. I value your experience - it makes me 'prepared for any battle'..

'Don't tell em your name Pike!'

Aaron Calder and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:56 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I was with the caravan club and CRiS registration was not required, however as they were always very expensive I wanted to use another insurance company.When I asked most lot of them insisted with CRiS registration. Eventually I got my 2015 Eriba CRiS registered, the cost of the registration was soon paid back with the saving. Unfortunately non UK made vans are not automatically CRiS registered like the UK made vans which causes the problem, I hope you get it all sorted.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

likes this post!
Last edited Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:56 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:43 pm
by Old Rocker | 496 Posts

Earlier this year I had nearly £7k repair claim sorted with no reference to Cris, I'm with C
MC insurance and my recent renewal only went up by just about £30 which amazed me
Edit : should have said it was my caravan insurance
Having had a slight, and I mean in my case it polished out, coming together in a car park my car insurance went up nearly £150

Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Don't ask me nothing about nothing, I might just tell you the truth

Last edited Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:57 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:30 pm

My car insurance came down by £15.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:38 pm
by Old Rocker | 496 Posts

Amazing! 😆

Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Don't ask me nothing about nothing, I might just tell you the truth
Aaron Calder likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:27 pm

Yes, but the wife's with the same company and hers went up £20 for no apparent reason. They always win.

Forum Administrator
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:06 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

When we told our car insurers that we had a tow hook on the car and would be towing a caravan, we received a REBATE !!!

Work that one out.

Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 Pan Familia 320
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:02 pm
by Big Al | 223 Posts

Towergate have sent out my renewal, I feel they don't want my custom.

Their quote is 25% more than one of the best companies on the comparision sites. I know the polices and cover are like for like because both are Towergate... That's 2 years in a row that has happened.

As a member of the Camping & Caravan Club I see the cover may be better and their quotes fit between the 2 from Towergate. Anyone recomend the ClubCare cover?

I might add I was asked if I had CRIS but wasn't a requirement to get a quote.

1997 Puck pushing a 1970 Morris Minor Traveller, sometimes a Pug 3008

Last edited Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:03 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:04 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Hi Big Al

We use Camping & Caravan Club to insure our Troll 540GT. My experience with them has been strange. At the first renewal it fell in price fairly significantly; and then gone up a bit, & then gone up a bit again. This year it went up by over 20% which was a shock. I rang them and spent an age getting through. After a long conversation the only way I could get a significant reduction was by changing my cover, which I refused to do. I eventually got a £10 reduction

When I got the paperwork I could see that they had altered the company I was insured with from the one I had always been with, which wasn't mentioned. I also asked them to change some personal details which they made a note of. When I got my documents these had not been changed.

This happened at a time when we had a lot of things on. I have made up my mind not to use them again despite being a long-standing club member.

I have to say that until this year I have been happy with them but I have never made a claim. This is just my experience, yours may be totally different

Good luck
MikeT

Big Al likes this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:06 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:04 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

I was with the caravan club insurance for a long time, I got a shock when I realised they were only insuring my 2015 Familia for the basic price which was £14000. I pointed them to Lowdhams website which showed them more than £20,000 to buy new. The quote went up to well over £500, I went with CarvanGuard which was £200 cheaper.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
SOULBLUESMAN68 and Big Al like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:40 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Quote: Sportique wrote in post #11
When we told our car insurers that we had a tow hook on the car and would be towing a caravan, we received a REBATE !!!

We also got a small reduction when I informed our insurer that we had a tow bar fitted. The reason they said, was that the towbar adds strength to the rear of the car reducing the likelihood of damage in small rear end shunts.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi

Last edited Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:10 am | Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 40 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105778 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2