RE: Vango Bondi Low review

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:44 pm
by Suzywong (deleted)

The limpets do need a smooth surface to attach to. The sides on the Siesta low do have tension straps, to draw up any surplus, and pegging close in at the bottom should do it.

Troll 540 pushing Mazda CX-5

Doonhamer likes this post!
Last edited Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:51 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:32 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Agreed Suzy, but in stronger winds and rain we have fitted a pair of these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunncamp-Inflatable-Awning-Rear-seals/dp/B00GA4N3XG to keep out the draughts,

and a pair of extendable poles with T-piece and 2 large (80-100mm) suckers to reduce pooling.

HTH

Dave

Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 Pan Familia 320
Doonhamer and like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:01 pm
by fishcultureman (deleted)

Quote: Suzywong wrote in post #16
The limpets do need a smooth surface to attach to. The sides on the Siesta low do have tension straps, to draw up any surplus, and pegging close in at the bottom should do it.

Yes, the bondi also has these straps, and work well if the awning is fitted to the rail centrally - gap on both sides equal that so straps tension up equally. Of course, on my 2nd Bondi setup (the pole break incident), I didn't have it central, so nice and snug on the left, and flapping about on the right. Still learning I suppose. Having said that, I have an idea for side sealing the awning, but that's for another post.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:06 pm

Quote: Sportique wrote in post #17

'...and a pair of extendable poles with T-piece and 2 large (80-100mm) suckers to reduce pooling'.

Hi Dave. Would it be possible to see a pic of this setup?

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:32 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Sorry, don't have a pic of the poles setup, but I will describe:

One pole vertical in the centre of the awning adjusted for height - at the top is a readily available plastic T-piece and at the bottom a 80mm sucker fitting (approx size). Then a pole with another large sucker running from the van just below the awning rail through the T-piece to a position on the seam at the front centre. I would emphasize that this construction is only put in place when expecting/during heavy rain to reduce pooling 'cos the centre pole gets in the way!

For the inflatable seals, there is a pic in the Picture Gallery half-way down page 8 showing the van, the Bondi Low and inflatable seals. There are close-ups pics of the seals somewhere else on the forum.

Aha - found it: https://www.eribafolk.com/t830935f15-Vango-Bondi-Low-for-GT.html#msg71046

HTH

Dave

Last edited Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:35 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:09 pm
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

Dave. Good...great in fact. I really did read your previous post on the inflatable seals before - thought I had imagined it during lockdown or something. They seem to fit snugly to your van - same as ours I think btw. The van I mean. One question though - are they connected to the van or awning in any way? I probably need to know this before I press the buy in now button on eBay. Apart from that, I think I've got your pole arrangement also, so thanks for the description.

Update 10 mins later!: forget my question, read other post, so yes they need connected to the awning.

Last edited Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:23 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:51 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Yeah, otherwise they tend to slip south.

I must say that neither of these solutions will deal with all weather types , but they should deal with all but exceptional wind/rain, and certainly the addition of the inflatable seals makes the awning much more comfortable.

Dave

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:34 pm

As I said on your earlier related post (via your link), I'll probably go ahead with the inflatable seal approach to solve that issue. Good idea there btw. I'll probably then try to fit some poles shaped to fit the vans side profile - these going against the mid section of the inflatable seals vertically and attached to the awning rail top, and stuck in the ground bottom. Anyway, I have some extra lengths of 15mm push fit plumbing pipe that needs used for something, so might get the heat gun out and start bending. No big loss either way.

Last edited Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:34 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:10 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Good idea.

I had made a similar attempt using two bamboo canes joined by a piece of flexible tubing to follow the shape of the van. But at that time I had no thought of the the inflatable tubes! So I couldn't fathom a way to get get the edge of the awning attached to the poles (can't sew!!)

Dave

Last edited Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:11 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:47 pm

I believe reasonably heavy duty velcro tabs are the way forward for me. So a few positive velcro tab connector's on the shaped poles, and probably a negative velcro strip on the awnings vertical edge. I used these before in our tenting days to pin ground sheets to the tents inside and they worked well.
Of course all this is pie in the sky at the moment, as I have barely left the house last few days!

Sportique likes this post!
Last edited Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:47 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:45 am
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Mr Fishcultureman - this video is quite interesting - shows Vango solution to sealing an awning to the side of a van - doesn't take account of the "waist" shape of an Eriba but may give you some ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPq-pNygT7o

Dave

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:18 am

Re: 'Mr Fishcultureman - this video is quite interesting - shows Vango solution...'

Dave.

Good video spot there. Bookmarked it. I had read about these earlier. They are normally supplied with triangular wedges that allow a seal around windows etc. For now I'm sticking to your inflatable seals approach though, as I think they might suit the vans curved profile a bit better. Watch this space... or thereabouts!

Colin.

Sportique and like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:27 pm
by Doonhamer | 77 Posts

I've got a Vango Elwood which is Go Outdoors identical twin of the Vango Siesta.

To stop the pooling of water on the roof I bent a bolt over, sawed off the head, screwed it into the end of an extendable paint brush pole & attached it to where I would attach the central pole of my awning. I did have to use a plastic cereal bowl to raise the roof a bit, but this worked out very well.

|addpics|pv1-6-d0eb.jpg-invaddpicsinvv,pv1-7-bc1d.jpg-invaddpicsinvv,pv1-8-2c80.jpg-invaddpicsinvv,pv1-9-7f25.jpg-invaddpicsinvv,pv1-a-0bb2.jpg|/addpics|

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 20200908_171231.jpg 

Last edited Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:03 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:26 pm

Ingenious solution to the pooling problem on an air beam :)

Doonhamer likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:25 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Great idea .

You appear to have some sort of rail beneath the awning rail?

On my older Eriba it is not possible to attach anything below the awning rail, so I used a large (75mm) sucker instead.

This worked very well in a recent storm in Cumbria - no roof pooling, but I need to improve the attachment to the outer edge of the awning - there is a handy loop sewn into the awning there, so I hall use this to anchor the roof pole.

Dave

Dave

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 16 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12515 topics and 105593 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0