Vango Bondi Low review

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:45 pm
by fishcultureman (deleted)

I'll make this quick. Second time out with our Vango Bondi Low awning and the single pole system turned into a double pole system when the winds got up. Broke towards the centre in high gusts. In fact the whole front of the awning pretty much buckled in a head wind. Yes we could have turned the van around or went to a different more sheltered pitch, but then we are due to go home tomorrow. The sides don't sit snug to the van either. Dissapointed to say the least.
A decent enough budget awning in a wind sheltered spot but pitched anywhere else not really up to scratch. Lovely time on Benone Strand, NI though, so not all bad news.

Bondi on a 91 Pan Familia btw.

Last edited Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:47 pm | Scroll up

RE: Vango Bondi Low review

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:55 am
by eribaMotters | 5.300 Posts

Colin/Paula,
at the very least the supplier should be able to source you a new pole from Vango. I think I would try for a return on the awning as it is not fit for purpose as it did not cope with even a moderate wind. I would not go down the route of it not fitting 100% as it is not a made to measure/model specific awning.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:56 pm

Thanks for the advice Colin. A replacement pole section will be the way forward. Having said that, I think we probably need to invest in a better awning. On that, can you advise on a good made to measure full awning for our 91 Pan Familia? I expect the price to go up fairly dramatically.

Update: Vango warranty does not cover broken poles caused by high winds. A replacement pole is not too expensive though.

Last edited Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:33 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:03 pm
by NickR | 38 Posts

As I own one of these awnings, your experience of the pole breaking in a high wind is worrying.
May I ask whether you had the two cross bracing straps at the front engaged, as these are intended to help in high winds. Having said that, I think this emphasises a design fault with the awning, which is that the roof ponds in heavy rain; my fix has been to erect an adjustable tent pole to push the fabric up next to the gutter on the roof centreline, but a far preferable arrangement would be provision for attaching a centre guy rope to the roof crown. This would taughten the roof, and also probably prevent the disaster that you experienced.
For the money, and bearing in mind that it is not intended to stay up on a site for long let alone to be attached to a very low Eriba, I am quite happy with mine. I do have a heavy purpose designed awning which is terrific, but too much effort to erect for a stay of a few nights.

Nick

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:45 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.300 Posts

Nick, the Vango website states:-
"Touring Awning – This awning is designed for touring use; it is not designed for static or long-term seasonal pitching as extensive exposure to UV light will cause accelerated fabric degradation. UV degradation is not covered under the warranty. However, under normal holiday use your awning will give long service"
It should be able to stand up to a few days of rain and wind. https://www.vango.co.uk/gb/awnings/178-bondi-low.html
We have a Sunncamp Swift. This is open fronted and the Vandi equivalent of this is there Sunncamp Swift Vareo 260 Van Low http://www.sunncamp.co.uk/products/show/1756
With our open fronted version we were subjected to Storm Hannah at the end of April last year on an exposed hill in Devon. It was that windy the van was rocking throughout the night [no comments please Mr eribanut]. The top of the awning flapped and made a hell of noise, but that was it. It stayed put.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:03 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:49 pm
by Suzywong (deleted)

I appreciate this doesn’t help you, but we have two Vango awnings, the Siesta low and the hex hub, both air beam and have both been subjected to some horrendous weather, the Siesta low in Wales where the beam bounced, down as far as the table top and recovered.
We really thought we would lose the Hex hub in Cornwall last year, so much so that we removed most of the furniture out, The bad weather destroyed some tents, our hub bounced and collapsed several times, we expected the worst, Our neighbours couldn’t believe it survived.
So I’m happy with the Vango airbeams.

Troll 540 pushing Mazda CX-5
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:09 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.110 Posts

hi Colin/Paula

Two bits to this response. First of all yesterday we took delivery of the SunnCamp Swift Vareo 260 (Low) which Colin mentions above and is the new awning version of the Canopy. We have only put it up on the drive so far and we were impressed how easy it went up and how spacious it is but it is very lightweight.

According to Colin his Canopy probably survived the high winds as it doesn't reach the ground and air can blow under it. This awning version has mud skirts to the floor all round and so may be more susceptible to acting like your Vango. We won't know until we try it for real on a site and we are not going away until mid August. However we were impressed with the value for money £160 but don't see it lasting forever.

One of our other awnings for our Troll is the Kampa Pop Air. If you have read earlier feeds from me about it I/we have a love hate relationship with it. It isn't the best piece of design in the world but I believe the newer ones are better. However we have used it on Walney Island (Cumbria) twice and both times it has survived very strong winds. The second time it was so rough that we ended up putting the pop top down in the middle of the night as the Troll was rocking so much. Next morning when we emerged we half expected it too have gone but it was still there, like a cocky young sheepdog. Around us lots of awnings had gone or ripped. I wonder if air poles flex better in the wind than traditional poles that can suddenly snap?

As I say it has its faults but it goes up fairly quickly and from our experience is robust. The weight holding the last bit of awning before it slides into the awning rail is a bit heavy.

Good luck in your search
MikeT

Last edited Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:12 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:20 pm

Quote: NickR wrote in post #4
As I own one of these awnings, your experience of the pole breaking in a high wind is worrying.
May I ask whether you had the two cross bracing straps at the front engaged, as these are intended to help in high winds.

Nick

Hi Nick. Yes we did indeed have the 2 cross brace tensioning straps engaged. On that, it became clear very quickly that these braces play no role in preventing vertical movement of the awning, only sideways - it basically dive-bombed dramatically with every high gust! That's what broke the pole in the end. Anyway, I've ordered a pole repair kit so will still be using it on sheltered pitches. On a positive note, rain wise, it held up magnificently. One night of torrential and it showed no sign of water ingress :-)
Leading on from that, I like your idea of roof pooling prevention, so would be interested in your setup there btw.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:30 pm

Quote: Suzywong wrote in post #6
I appreciate this doesn’t help you, but we have two Vango awnings, the Siesta low and the hex hub, both air beam and have both been subjected to some horrendous weather, the Siesta low in Wales where the beam bounced, down as far as the table top and recovered

Hi. I think the Achilles heel/limiting factor with the Vango Bondi is the fibre glass pole itself. I think I'm right in saying that the siesta is the air beam version of the the bondi? If so, then your description sounds about right...but without the snap!

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:36 pm
by Suzywong (deleted)

Yes if it had poles they would have definitely snapped. I have a video of the hex hub during the storm, but the forum is telling me it’s too big to post !

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:42 pm

SOULBLUESMAN68:

Re: 'Two bits to this response. First of all yesterday we took delivery of the SunnCamp Swift Vareo 260 (Low)...'

That was our other budget candidate. Kinda wish we would have went with that. Never mind. Anyway, I m gonna see if I can pimp up the bondi by adding a roof strengthening system of some sort, followed by a side draught sealing system. In the meantime, Colin, has kindly pointed me in the direction of the Kampa air pro. They really look the job if a bit heavy. I think that's for next year though.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:15 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.110 Posts

This sums up what I love about the Forum. Whatever the problem someone has had it before & come up with lots of interesting and sometimes quirky suggestions to resolve the issue - not that I always understand but that's not the point................................!
MikeT

monoboard likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:27 pm
by Suzywong (deleted)

Hi, We had side draft with our Siesta low, but put it down to the fact it was attached to the Omnistore, which brought it further away from Van. I attached rip stop panel down each side, we also have the limpet gadgets which keep the fabric close to the van.

We have since removed our Omnistore, but not tried the Siesta low since.

Sue

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:54 pm

I think I've read something about the limpet things here somewhere. Not sure if they would work on a dimpled surface but I like the idea.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:49 am
by Doonhamer | 77 Posts

I'm loving the Bondi/Siesta criticisms & solutions here, keep them coming.

I received my Vango Elwood yesterday. The Elwood is in effect the Siesta in blue that is sold by Go Outdoors & - crucially for me - on sale at the moment. I had a very quick play with it last night & was very impressed at how quickly I had it up. My daughter timed me at just over 6mins to have 4 corner pegs in & the airbeam inflated straight out of the bag.

When I have a bit more time at the weekend I'll peg it out more thoroughly & see how it is for draughts & rustling fabric. We've got a dimpled body so limpets are out for us as well, but as has been mentioned on other threads Sunncamp produce an Inflatable Awning Seal Set which may help with draughts, but if it's getting that breezy in the awning I think we'll be retiring to the comfort of the 'van.

Edited to add that it's a great fit for the Puck L allowing me to open both the door & window unfettered.

and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Last edited Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:36 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 34 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12516 topics and 105597 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4