Eriba Touring Child's Cot

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:55 am
by Totoro (deleted)

Hi everyone,
I've had loads of good advice on this forum already. But as we are still looking for the right caravan for us, I have a few more questions.
We are a family of 4 and are looking for a small caravan. For various reasons we are quite taken by the Eriba tourings (though we have also looked at the Feeling range with the pop top roof).
The 4 berths in the touring range are the 418 (no bathroom) and the 550 (bathroom - but seemingly smaller table space).
Does anyone have any experience with the child's cot which turns a single bed into the bunk bed?
For what ages it it suitable for?
Is it comfortable?
The reason why I ask is, could we consider getting a 3 berth touring and use the cot as a 4th bed?
I guess that when the kids get to be teenagers, they'll sleep outside in a tent/awning.
Any advice would be really appreciated.
Thanks.
Neil

Scroll up

RE: Eriba Touring Child's Cot

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:23 am
by eribaMotters | 5.326 Posts

I thought the front dining area of a 550 does make up to a small double similar in size to the 418, but the brochures are not very clear [to me[ on this.
Access to the dining are on the 550 is easier and floor space greater. Both are available to order with a non fixed bed at the rear and hence a larger dining area. If/when we move up from our Triton 430 when grandchildren arrive I my first choice would be the 550.
You do not say what age the children are at present. From about 8 years old they will love the freedom of a pup tent and you will enjoy a tidier van and the quiet.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:37 am
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

Hi Neil and welcome to Eribafolk

If you use the search engine and look for bunk beds then there is a host of ideas and photos. Here is one such thread:-
Bunk bed

A twin dinette Eriba, such as a Triton 430, a Troll 530 or 540 (all have toilet facilities for the little ones) would be a good place to start. By stripping out the smaller front dinette it would be an easy job for a competent DIYer to build something that could accomodate your needs and at a reasonable cost.

The year before last I altered the front of our Troll 530 and needed to raise up the existing bed which for all intents and purposes made it into a top bunk, using 3 x 1 and 2 x 1 softwood timber and it was very successful.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:25 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:16 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

In our WWB days, as a family of 6, the best advice we had before buying was to have sitting/dining facilities at both ends of the van - that way children can be at one end making mayhem, while the adults are at the other preparing dinner. As you say, when the children are older they can sleep in the awning - this was a great success, even better when they started tenting for themselves!

Sorry I can't help with various Eribas, but from my experience "double ended" is good.

And as for accommodating a younger child - I have no experience of cots/Eribas, but there are options suggested above

Dave

Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 Pan Familia 320
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:57 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Hi Neil and welcome

When we first got our Troll 540 in 2016 and pitched up in Dorset a young family arrived next to us with a Troll. The lad was obviously very handy and he had taken out the front dinette and replaced it with a bunk bed arrangement for his two young girls. It looked substantial and the girls loved it. They put their big table in the awning and ate all their meals there. He did say that he had kept all the dinette parts as when the girls were older he would put them in a pup tent within the awning and re-instate the dinette - clever lad.

When our grandsons are older we intend changing our Kampa Popair awning for the 2019-20 model that you can zip a small tent extension instead of the window.

Good luck with your search
MikeT

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:11 am
by Totoro (deleted)

Thanks for all your advice and comments here. It's all useful. I'll keep you updated with how we get along.
Neil

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 28 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105773 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2