Could this be the best canopy......ever ?

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:11 pm
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Well, just a thought. It looks pretty good and certainly on a par with Sunncamp Swift and the Vango canopy. It’s the Outwell Touring Shelter. Here is a link:

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/outdoo...touring-shelter

I think its a bit more money than the other 2, but looks to be a bit bigger and give a bit more shelter. I also though that it would be better suited to a Troll.

I would welcome any thoughts or comments as I am thinking of getting one ready for next spring. Many thanks.

Outwell Touring Shelter.PNG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Could this be the best canopy......ever ?

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:18 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.310 Posts

I have the Sunncamp Swift and it is a bit smaller than the Outwell in the link. I don't know whether this means it's worth the extra £80 [at the current reduced price] over the Sunncamp.

Colin

ps - The Outwell will not fit a Familia due to the extra length on the awning rail.

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:23 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:39 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

Hi GT
As tenters we always loved Outwell kit. It was a bit dearer but was good quality and had clever design. I would say that it is certainly worth look.

I love the look of the Parkville drive away awning lower down the page, but as usual with Outwell it isn't cheap.

When we first got the Troll I plagued the Outwell stand guy at the NEC for two years running for not having anything to fit the Troll and having no plans to do so. Fortunately I could have a laugh with him as I had watched him on very early Outwell videos iwhen they first came to the English market and sadly knew the one for the Bear Lake tent almost word perfectly.......................................

Be interested to see how you get on if you do buy one.
MikeT

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:22 am
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Blimey Mike, only 2 years! I’ve been a boarder line menace at the NEC ever year since 2007 (sometimes both Feb and October shows 🙄). I can’t believe AL still let me on their stand http://yoursmiles.org/msmile/fun/m0168.gif. Annoyingly I have always been fixated with full awnings and only recently got into sun canopy’s/larger canopies for mini breaks so never really got stuck into “canopies” at the shows. Anyway lock down fever has well and truly kicked in and canopies have become a great hobby. We have a Troll 530 (from AL) so I think I might try the Outwell. I like the fact that its a bit deeper than most of the others and its also wider, which should suit the Troll. Hopefully we will get a few more sunny days before winter sets in and I can set it up and upload some photos for the collective great and good Eribafolk to debate on over the winter months. Thanks for your comments, Robbie.

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:08 am

Robbie, we should start a canopy collecters club. Whilst I doubt I'd win it I could start things rolling with my collection of four.
- Isabellas Shadow, great for sun, lightweight and 5 mins to set up, lives in the van.
- Sunncamp Swift, for when rain is forcast or falling. lightweight, 10 mins to set up, usually lives in the van, hot when the sun comes out.
- Kampa Pop Air extension, a worthwhile consideration if you have the awning, which we only take on extended stays.
- Fiamma Caravanstore, my favourite, lives on the other side of the van at all times.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:12 am
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

Hi Robbie.
It certainly looks well thought out and as others have said, Outwell is a premier tent maker.

I would say that as it's below £200 and suits your needs, then go for it. As I said on another thread, ripstop canopies and awnings are not a "for ever" purchase and will break down after a lot of use.

Design-wise, I would say that to me, it has similarities to the two Coleman shades that we refashioned from pup tent canopies and used up until a few years ago. (see pictures).

In the case of ours, they lasted a couple of years and stood up to all weathers until the fabric deteriorated. However, we took our experiment a bit to far on our first one (the green coloured one for those who remember it) and added a clip on infill side to it only for the wind and rain of the Builth Wells meet of 2013 to catch it , tear it and take it away.
g22p282-Randa-France.html
g22p226-Rally-field.html#viewport
Without the additional side, it had lasted well as did the Grey markII version in the photo.

Coleman 01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Coleman.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

By the way, there were a few Eriba owners who copied our design and they were also very pleased with them.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

marmite and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Last edited Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:19 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:40 am
by marmite | 400 Posts

We remember that meet so well, I dispensed soup door to door as the weather for the shared meal was so bad we all scuttled back to our vans and we couldn't manage half a gallon of soup on our own

Our Khyam remained intact which is more than can be said for the poor unfortunate in the wwb whose awning was flat against his van come the morning

Denise & Phil

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:05 pm

Red wellies as well Denise g22p305-Marmite.html
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
marmite likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:04 pm
by Eribanut | 2.025 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #8
Red wellies as well Denise g22p305-Marmite.html
Randa

Red Wellies.................drool, up there with pink Crocs!

Sermo datur cunctis; animi sapientia paucis
Tempus fugit; carpe diem

marmite likes this post!
Last edited Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:05 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:10 pm

I'm getting excited Mr Nut.

Colin

marmite and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:38 pm
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Hi Colin, I think it must be an Eriba owners thing that kicks in on dark evenings. So here goes with my confessional:-

- Camptech Motoair Low - what a brilliant air awning this is. It’s actually perfect for the Eriba.
- Vango Hexaway - We love this awning for longer stays and sociable evening meals with friends
- Isabella Shadow - Very good canopy and looks good, but does collect the rain.
- Outwell Touring Shelter - Very probably so to be added to the collection.

Anyway I have dropped to my knees and confessed. Will now birch myself under the Isabella shadow and hope I can be forgiven.

marmite and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:41 pm
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Thanks Randa.

I have just made a full confession to Colin. The Outwell certainly looks well made and I like the 28mm tubular front arch. I think this is a goer. Pictures to follow.

marmite and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:00 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

I feel positively under privileged and under resourced with only one canopy that functions (but three awnings.& several tents)

A tricky conversation with Kath needs to follow about our paucity of canopies and the need to invest before certain Eriba Folk corner the market. She was talking about some new down lighters for the front of the house and a replacement boiler but we have to get our priorities in order........................!

MikeT

eribaMotters, Randa france and marmite like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:44 am

Quote: GT runner wrote in post #12
Thanks Randa.

I have just made a full confession to Colin. The Outwell certainly looks well made and I like the 28mm tubular front arch. I think this is a goer. Pictures to follow.

Is the hoop steel as well? I didn't know that. That, to me would be a clincher as our newest TENT, an Outwell Montana 6 complete with extension has fully steel poles.
By the way, the pole dia stated is 19mm.
Randa

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:43 am

My deepest concern with all "drive away" awnings is the width created by the tunnel. Many campsites both at home and abroad, have large pitches and some are hedged off from the neighbours and aren't wide enough to accommodate a 2 metre Eriba plus a 3 metre plus awning not including guy ropes.
Also the car will have to go elsewhere.
I don't think they would fit on any of the C andMC sites we used this year except the huge pitch at Grange over Sands if the car has to be accommodated "in line" too.
Randa

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 32 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105666 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3