Vango v Sunncamp

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:11 pm
by Randa france | 12.874 Posts

After our awning diasaaaster darlings, I have a question for those in the know.

We have decided not to go for a full heavyweight awning as we rarely used our last one.

SO :-

Vango Bondi Low versus Sunncamp Swift Verao 260. Which one to go for?

https://www.tauntonleisure.com/camping-a...020-model__7233

https://sunncamp.co.uk/products/swift-verao-260-van-low

I've read all the reports on the Vango about snapped poles, draughty sides etc and have taken note of the solutions. I like the fact that the Vango has an attachable ground sheet and it's bigger than the Sunncamp. However, without the ground sheet fitted am I right in assuming that the sides don't reach the ground?

I've not seen any reports about the Sunncamp but what I do like is the more rigid steel pole and the large mud flaps. My main worry is that it's an 1850mm rear height and our Eriba is 1800. I'm trying to convince myself that the 50mm will make very little difference because of the large mud flaps. The draughty side issue will have to be resolved on this awning as well.

Our third consideration would be the good old Outdoor Revolution Movelite but I can only find them 3metres square PLUS 800mm tunnel. Far too large on the side of the Eriba as on most pitches there won't be room for the car.

We don't really want to go down the air awning route.

I'd be most grateful for your thoughts.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:47 pm | Scroll up

RE: Vango v Sunncamp

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:12 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

Hi Randa, I have the Vango Bondi Low as my light weight alternative and recently had 5 days experience of it at Horsley C&CC site.
I should state at the beginning that I added a higher level awning rail (about 110mm up) during lockdown to assist the Vango and also my Movelite Oxygen 2 to fit better.
The sides most certainly come down to the ground, especially due to our Eriba's low awning rail height. The extra height can be reduced by pegging out the awning closest to the van much wider. This then gives a trapizoidal shape in the awning so the supplied groundsheet dosen't fit properly closest to the van but is ok at the front of the awning. The extra piece of grass that is exposed is filled by me with a couple of coolboxes containing drinks of various kinds.

What I did find with the Vango Bondi on my first try out last year before the higher rail was that my head touched the awning roof close to the van (I'm just over 6' tall) and also there was some pooling of water as there wasn't enough slope on the roof to help clear the water away. This alone persuaded me to install the higher rail.
Sadly or not, it didn't rail at Horsley so I couldn't test that element.

Have to conclude that at just less than £200, the Vango Bondi is a real bargain!

I'll look out some pics.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual

Randa france and like this post!
Last edited Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:13 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:39 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Roger,

as Ray says above, the Vango Bondi Low reaches the ground OK.

The additional inflatable seals certainly improve the fit but still not the perfect solution (they are much too long and can't easily be shortened). If your van has the smooth (not dimpled) sides then the limpet style suckers may do a better job, I'm sure someone will be along soon to confirm or deny this. The problem is in the "waisted" shape of the sides - it is designed to fit against a simple profile, not the shapely profile of the Eribas!

Roof pooling has been solved by various users fitting their own design of central pole - you will probably have suitable kit for this in your 'bits-n-pieces' store.

However, in general, we have found this awning to be good value for (cheap) money, and it only weighs about 6 or 7kg.

We have had ours out in some pretty hefty winds, but so far no problems with the pole.

Very easy to erect and put away.

Hopefully someone will come along to tell us about the Sunncamp

Dave

Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 Pan Familia 320

Randa france and like this post!
Last edited Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:40 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:57 pm
by fishcultureman (deleted)

Sportique: "problem is in the "waisted" shape of the sides...." I meant to update another review on the Bondi regarding the sides not fitting snugly. Bought a few tarp clips with adjustable bungee cords. Combination of both pull the sides in well to our van. Here's the clip types:

71CRsNCGz1L._AC_SL1500_.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Sportique, Doonhamer and Randa france like this post!
Last edited Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:58 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:01 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Fishcuktureman,

I have seen these advertised and often wondered how best to use them. Do you fix the bungee around the inflatable tubes? or what?

Thanks

Dave

PS Pic please!

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:10 pm
by fishcultureman (deleted)

Dave.
I haven't managed to get the inflatables just yet so can't comment on that. The tarp clips in our case were connected via bungees to the pull handles and under the caravan down towards the corner steadies. They worked very well I thought.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:33 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Zitat
Quote: fishcultureman wrote in post #6
I haven\'t managed to get the inflatables just yet so can\'t comment on that. The tarp clips in our case were connected via bungees to the pull handles and under the caravan down towards the corner steadies. They worked very well I thought.

Very interesting, thanks.

In my view there are two issues - firstly overcoming the "waist" shape and secondly having the edge of the awning stay against the side of the van, or find something to close the gap - the inflatables deal well with both issues except in the strongest of winds, but maybe I am looking for the impossible !!!.

Dave

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:39 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Roger,

another thought - looking at the Sunncamp, it is possible to unzip the front and raise it on two poles to give a sunshade. I have tried this on the Vango but it puts a lot of strain on the door zips - so this is not practicable.

From your touring blogs, I get the impression that occasionally you spend time on the camp site using some sort of sun shade.

On that basis the Sunncamp is more flexible (if you buy the extra bits)

hth

Dave

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:39 am
by Ray Lawrence | 667 Posts

Quick pic fitted to my higher rail. None taken from the side I'm afraid.

DSC00786small.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:30 am

Thanks everyone for your comments. Lots to ponder That last picture you posted of the Bondi looks very neat Ray

I've also found this recent thread and it does look as if MikeT (Soulbluesman) is a Sunncamp fan. Small, light, compact simple awning (see post#14 on the link).

Using Ray's pic, is the grey "flap" indicated by the Red Arrow, part of the side wall or is it the ground sheet. Also what is it that the Yellow Arrow is indicating.

bondi.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I do like the mud flaps on the Sunncamp and I remember Mrs R making some and fitting them to a very large family tent we owned. Also our now defunct Clairval had them and they were really useful.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:36 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:09 am
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Red arrow is the mud flaps, which I turn in beneath the groundsheet (never sure it that is correct!) and the yellow arrow looks like the corner of the ground sheet?

Dave

Randa france and Ray Lawrence like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:13 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. We've only gone and done the deed and it's to be a Sunncamp. Very little to choose between them but I like the sturdier pole on the Sunncamp as well as the large mud flaps. Also the front door can be used as a canopy.
Slightly better price even with an additonal ground sheet.
Randa

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:33 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Good choice. I think in retrospect I would do the same

Dave

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:44 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

Hi Randa

Sorry i have been off-line in a sunny North Wales whilst this discussion was going on. Didn't take the SunnCamp as we were going for over a week and took the Kampa PopAir instead. Had some fair winds and two people had the SunnCamp, one the canopy like Colin has and the other a bigger awning form BWBox but same design as Vareo and both stood up to the winds.

When we used ours in winds at West Ayton the wind blew in between the van and the side doors. We solved this simply by fastening some guy rope to one of the ladder holders and pegging it down - it worked a treat and we could still use both doors. We really missed these side doors with the PopAir in Wales as you have to go in & out of the front door.

We had the front door open as a canopy a fair few times and it worked well. We took the Lidl/Aldi sourced house patio door flyscreen to play with but didn't get the time to fiddle with it. Think a bit of extra ventilation with a flyscreen on the door would be a bonus - insects come from miles around to feed on Kath! Next time we use the Vareo we will take the Kampa Popair skirt to play with to cut down wind under the van..

As I have said before for what we paid for the Vareo we are pleased with it. Noticed at Penhros site this week that another BWBox on a seasonal pitch had left their SunnCamp awning (that looked like a Vareo High) up and it coped with all the battering from the wind & rain. I think it might be as robust as Colin's canopy.

Good luck with it

MikeT

Last edited Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:47 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:34 pm

Thanks for that encoraging report Mike. Hopefully it's on its way and we have a few ideas to add to those above, to improve the side wall flapping and possible roof sag.
All I need to do now is find a pair of pink crocs to match Colin's and Mrs R's.

Randa

eribaMotters likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 19 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105662 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0