Quick solution to recent gusty winds under Troll

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:11 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

A few of us have commented on this years sudden and very gusty winds that have effected us on site. Our side skirt that we got with our Kampa PopAir isn't the best fit in the world on our Troll.

At West Ayton a few weeks ago we got a cold gusty wind blowing under the van one day so I decided to have a play with the area round the tyre when I got home, to see if I could seal it better.

I found some offcuts of 3-ply in the shed and htrew together this shapely beast, complete with stainless steel handle and two plastic wedges to keep it slghtly off the damp hard standings

IMG_20201008_160802969_HDR (2).jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

IMG_20201008_160841402_HDR (2).jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I was hoping to test it's effectivenes at Knaresborough today but that will have to wait.

MikeT

Randa france and Doonhamer like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Quick solution to recent gusty winds under Troll

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:33 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

Lovely bit of cabinetwork Mike.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:06 pm
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

What about screwing a bank of THESE on the outside Mike, for good measure (pun intended)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

SOULBLUESMAN68, atkinbrown and Shady Pines like this post!
Last edited Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:10 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:10 pm

Decent red wine never lasts that long in our Troll to make that worthwhile Roger, but I will show it to Kath for consideration....................perhaps one for her gin?
Mike

Randa france and atkinbrown like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:25 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 212 Posts

Hi,
We have used the black foam floor mats for years now with a similar design. (The ones with the ‘jigsaw‘ interlocks - £10 for 6)
Because they are flexible, they fit costly inside the wheel arch and don’t scratch the plastics.
They have been known to blow away in extreme winds, but a bit of bungee cord stops you having to chase around the site.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:03 pm

Hi Steve

We've got some of those but never thought of them as a solution...............I'm a bit slow sometimes

I did fashion an early prototype of this idea out of cardboard last year but it got very wet and slipped downwards.

Mike

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:38 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Draught.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I bought and fitted one of these - worked just fine.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 Draught.jpg 

Last edited Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:39 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:07 pm
by highmiler | 367 Posts

Nobody has made mention of the channel / slot that the "skirt" can be slotted into , on my Troll 530 2001 it runs the full length of the underside of the 'van, except where the wheel is. You can slide it from one end out over the wheel and back into the slot on the other side of the wheel to the other end of the van.Then peg in at the bottom and you are done. I have only used this once in Devon in 2019 when it was quite windy and we needed some windproofing whilst in the awning.

Highmiler.Troll 530GT and Volvo V70 R AWD
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:27 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.327 Posts

In addition to the slot for the under van skirt that is present on all Eribas there used to be a short length of awning rail pop-riveted to the wheel arch. This was to take a an extra piece of material that cane with the skirt on some awnings, in particular the Soplair range.
Attached is a photo of my 2001 Triton 430GT supplied by Lechdale. I later moved this strip onto the inside of the wheel arch as I believe some others have done, as it both looked neater and held the material in place better.
KIF_0072-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Coli

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:28 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:20 pm

Just Chilin's contraption looks interesting and should do the job. in fact I was toying with putting some black velcro on the front of mine to give a better seal between it and the skirt, but I thought it might compromise its look.

When evaluating the two solutions mine is clearly more Chatsworth House Chippendale rather than Warrington IKEA....................................

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:03 pm

Well, mine is a bit of Burtons coupled with Protec and 3M.

A bent wire coat hanger dressed in a spare bit of Protec cover and all held together with duct tape.

draugtht excluder.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:21 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #9
In addition to the slot for the under van skirt that is present on all Eribas there used to be a short length of awning rail pop-riveted to the wheel arch

Our '94 model has this bit of rail, but it is too short and the skirt "flops" at the edges.

I think I need to look into Randa's idea of the wire coat-hanger to stiffen it up a bit

Dave

Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 Pan Familia 320

Last edited Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:22 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:58 pm

Zitat
Quote Sportique:- I think I need to look into Randa's idea of the wire coat-hanger to stiffen it up a bit Dave

Cor, if I'd had more warning I could have given it a spruce up as it's now about 10 years old. Also a bit of a fib, I used TWO Burtons coat hangers. My problem is that my prototypes always end up as the final product

How it works is that the "tail" of the coat hanger is longer than the distance to the ground by about two inches so it springs into place and holds itself in tension before we drag the awning skirt across.

It's a nice tight fit behind the wheel arch when fitted properly.

draught ex 01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)draught ex 02jpg.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

SOULBLUESMAN68, Sportique and Poptop320 like this post!
Last edited Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:36 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:20 pm

Heath Robinson has nothing on the imaginations and applications of us Eriba owners......................The mind boggles

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:25 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Roger,

that is VERY clever. So you don't even use the short bit of awning rail provided by Hymer!!!

Dave

Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 Pan Familia 320
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 51 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2