Carpeting dilemma finally resolved by "up--cycling" some Flotex

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:45 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.122 Posts

Thanks to everyone who has passed comments & given helpful advice in the last few months on the issue of fitting carpets to our Troll. We were looking at a way to make the floor warmer for when we use the van in the colder months but that we could remove for the summer.

We mulled over lots of thoughts and suggestions as the backing on our numerous mats started to wear thin and needed replacing. We were attracted to the Carpets for Caravans fitted service but put off by the £250 price.

Anyway we really had the solution all along in my workshop & garden shed. We had some Flotex carpet tiles fitted in our old kitchen from when we first moved into our current house. We didn't love it & when we had a new kitchen built it became surplus to requirements. I have a couple of largish sheds and I used it to carpet the floors to stop cold rising up. They have worked great for this but have been down for over 10 years and never cleaned.

To cut a long story short I took one out and power washed it, followed by a shamoo and then used the steam cleaner on it. It came up a treat after all this time. So I did the same with another 15. Some were a bit marked and damaged but I salvaged a lot of them.

The job of fitting them in the Troll was a very fiddly and time consuming but I got there eventually and am pleased with how it turned out. If we just move out of Tier 3 we will be able to try it out for real.

Have included some pictures

IMG_20201017_125837245_HDR.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

IMG_20201017_125943363_HDR (2).jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

IMG_20201017_125858943_HDR (2).jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Thanks for the helpful suggestions that got me moving.

MikeT

Last edited Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:47 pm | Scroll up

RE: Carpeting dilemma finally resolved by "up--cycling" some Flotex

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:17 pm
by Randa france | 12.881 Posts

Looking good Mike and can't see the joins. How big is each tile?
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:45 pm

hi Randa

You can't see the joins as I have mild tremors in my hands so the camera on my phone shakes and goes slightly out of focus

You notice it best with the shot where Kath is sitting on the side. it is the truism that many clouds can have a slight silver lining - I mean it over not seeing the joins in the tiles, not over not being able to see Kath clearly.!

The tiles are each 50cm x 50cm. They have a heavy backing and a very short pile so they are a bit difficult to cut around fiddly bits. I used a very sharp but lightweight stanley blade thingy and was amazed not to cut myself once.

MikeT

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:50 pm
by Captain Calamity | 348 Posts

Blimey! That looks good. I’m going to have a crack at something similar. Any tips on templates, fitting and the like?
Capn C

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:44 pm

Hi Capn C

Will put something up tomorrow as I certainly did some things wrong to start with and sat scratching my head a few times.

I did buy one of these for a tenner which proved really useful for the complicated bits

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B082...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers
MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:44 am
by Randa france | 12.881 Posts

Quote: SOULBLUESMAN68 wrote in post #3
hi Randa

You can't see the joins as I have mild tremors in my hands so the camera on my phone shakes and goes slightly out of focus
You notice it best with the shot where Kath is sitting on the side.
MikeT

Ah, a trick used by many professional photographers. If a product is a bit dodgy, add a gorgeous blond to glam things up.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Eribanut, SOULBLUESMAN68 and John Cross like this post!
Last edited Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:40 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:25 pm
by John Cross | 264 Posts

That looks very comfy, love the welcome mat

Troll 540
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:33 pm

Welcome mat purely down to Kath John .

She says it is to counter my tendency to be a miserable old curmudgeon........................!

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:01 am
by Sportique | 332 Posts

a bad-tempered person, especially an old one

I had to look it up !

Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 Pan Familia 320
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:59 am

hi Capn C

Sorry I forgot the post on tips other than the excellent toy that I mentioned above.

The tools I used were a couple of long levels for drawing lines in pencil or chalk on the tiles. I also used my old Dad's metal setsquare that he had when he was an apprentice in the Shipyard in the late 1930s, to make sure my cuts were straight. I used a couple of sharp Stanley type knives for cutting the tiles and for a few cuts a very strong & sharp set of scissors.

If you are using tiles pick the position of the longest straight run of tiles from end to end and put down a chalk mark on the floor to give you your straight edge. I started at the bed end and worked towards the door. I have the 540 multifunction beds that double up as bench seats. These have a gap underneath and plastic fittings that stick out. I decided to cut round these and put the edge of the tiles slightly under the benches. I tried to lay the full tile and then the two side pieces as I went along.

the Flotex I used has arrows on the rear to show the direction of the pile so I tried to stick to this as best I could but started to run out of full tiles (that I hadn't previously cut to fit the shed floor. I didn't stick the tiles to the floor as I will remove them in summer. I aslo numbered every tile on the back as I laid it to give me a plan to follow when I re-laid them.

There were some incredibly fiddly bits but using the tool I mentioned above I managed to just about fit them in to give a tight fit.

It did take me longer than I thought it would and in some places I had to cut the tile into smaller bits to get a good fit.

If you do decide to have a go yourself with carpet tiles I will send you some pictures.

Good luck

MikeT

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:02 am

oh and I forgot to mention that you might need to take off the plastic covers for the screws near the floor to cut around to get a tight fit and then put then back
particularly near the toilet door.

Under the gas heater was especially fiddly to fit and took a lot of small cuts.

Mike

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:27 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

IMG_20201105_141708.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_20201105_142041.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_20201105_142009.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

We did this too, it does make it warmer during the winter [ especially for the night visits] carpet tiles left over from another project
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.

Last edited Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:30 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:40 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

I like the carpet tiles Dave. Did you have to glue them down?

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:31 pm

Hi Eribanaut

Those look really good. I love it in blue

When we wee toying with buying some new Flotex tiles to do our Troll in I wanted to go for blue ones. However Kath thinks i have too much of a fetish for blue in my life as a Blackburn Rovers fan and her mission in life seems to be to get me to accept other colours. Hence the up-cycling of the old brown tiles.- not a patch on your blue...............

MikeT

eribanaut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:33 pm

Hi Steve & Debbie we didn't stick ours down as we want to be able to remove them in summer. They are quite rigid so if cut reasonably close to the edges they hold themselves in

MikeT

Steve and Debbie likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 8 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12538 topics and 105761 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1