Do others keep a radiator on like Doonhamer (#7 on Winter Storage Sept 28th)?

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:14 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.122 Posts

Was interested to read Doonhamer feed #7 on Winter storage about running battery and oil-filled rad three times a day in winter and wondered if anyone else was going to do this.

I was toying with the idea of running an electric lead in and keeping the oil-filled rad on with a thermostat for whenever it got near freezing, but wondered if Doonhamer's was a better approach. .Any views gratefully accepted

Some of you may remember that my taps froze sometime last winter & I had to take out a second mortgage to have them replaced (we suspect it happened on a sudden freezing night in Spring after we had taken the cover off). Obviously we want to ensure that this doesn't happen again.

I also noted Poptop320 about leaving all the cupboard doors open. I am ok at leaving the doors open except for the overhead cupboard doors as many people on the Forum seem to have had trouble with srews in the hinges on these. Again any thoughts on this issue appreciated

Thanks
MikeT

Last edited Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:15 pm | Scroll up

RE: Do others keep a radiator on like Doonhamer (#7 on Winter Storage Sept 28th)?

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:33 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.324 Posts

I'm just trying to calculate the electricity cost. At 20p Kw/h and a 500 watt radiator it would be £1 for 10hrs, so say £1 a day, £30 a month, £120 for 4 months. I would see these as minimum and could easily see the radiator being on 24hrs a day in height of winter when the van would be loosing heat more quickly than you could put it in.
I'd have thought crack windows open so you get a through flow of air, or hermetically seal the van and use a couple of vapour traps. I part tried the later and used the vapour trap bags when our van was stored outside under a car port for one winter. I removed the bags a couple of times over the winter and dried them out in the oven.
I brought in all fabric/bedding and left all cupboards open. You are safe to do this with the top lockers Mike. It's only when the flaps fly open that they put stress on the hinges.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Last edited Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:34 pm | Scroll up

RE: Do others keep a radiator on like Doonhamer (#7 on Winter Storage Sept 28th)?

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:53 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #2
...or hermetically seal the van and use a couple of vapour traps.
I don't think you could 'hermetically seal' the caravan without going to a huge amount of trouble, one which is almost certainly disproportionate to the benefits you're likely to get.

It's a caravan, not a submarine; there are loads of places where air gets in. Some are intentional, most aren't.

A dehumidifier will only reduce - or attempt to reduce - the moisture inside to the ambient level outside. That's good if the level of humidity is higher inside than outside, but once you get to ambient, all you are doing is attempting to dehumidify The Wirral.

If you're using a mains-powered dehumidifier, you're just burning money at this point. Maybe not a lot, but you are.

I wouldn't bother unless, for example, you've had a sodden awning in there for hours and you've no way of airing it out by leaving everything open until it's dried out by itself.

I would contend that over the long term most of the moisture collected by whatever kind of dehumidifier you're using is moisture pulled from the atmosphere.

Last edited Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:57 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:30 pm
by Randa france | 12.881 Posts

Ever since we've owned our van we've stored it outside under a Protec cover. Quite often the field is very frosty and is not sheltered at all from all the weather thrown at it.

We don't leave any vents open and visit the van every few days to have a quick look, especially in bad weather. The only extra thermal protection we give it is a bubble wrap square put into the locker box where the toilet sits. We also now have taken to protecting the inside of the canvas where it hangs over the aluminium rail by using a 4" wide crepe bandage like a John MacEnroe headband.

All locker doors and cupboard doors are left open and the fridge door is also left open. All soft furnishings are moved away from touching the outside walls. It works for us.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
scouteralf, SOULBLUESMAN68, and addisb like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:35 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

Spot on Pepe, but sadly there are still so many trying to de-humidify the planet.

I've been a caravanner for over 40 years. Never had a significant problem from winter storage other that the odd spot of mould from a poor bit of cleaning on my behalf.
Always have window catches locked in the night flow position to keep the air flow up whether under a cover or, as now, under a carport with no cover.

Condensation is caused by moisture being squeezed out of the atmosphere through temperature differential, so the worst thing you can do is put a heater on now and again.
Properly drained water fittings can't freeze.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
SOULBLUESMAN68 and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:56 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Our Puck fits in the garage. No problem with moisture/frost but mice do like to winter in a garage. So I remove all the soft furnishings - they fit nicely under the spare bed indoors.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:56 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:01 pm

To "hermetically seal the van" was meant to be a tongue in cheek. I don't think I have seen aa bag big enough for the job and would probably puncture it if I tried to use one. That is not to say you could not buy one. I suppose bubble wrap and cling film would be an alternative. I have the remains of a 100m x 1.5m roll of the smaller bubble stuff but I'm running low on tape and my Tesco food wrap is a bit on the narrow side.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:02 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:56 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

I was going to do it but the cost of 11 miles of cable put me off
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:59 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #7
To "hermetically seal the van" was meant to be a tongue in cheek. I don't think I have seen aa bag big enough for the job and would probably puncture it if I tried to use one. That is not to say you could not buy one. I suppose bubble wrap and cling film would be an alternative. I have the remains of a 100m x 1.5m roll of the smaller bubble stuff but I'm running low on tape and my Tesco food wrap is a bit on the narrow side.
Colin

Start practicing Colin....

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:50 pm

What about this then? A German 530 owner ( Thierry Vankemmel ) stores his van like so. Very good at reversing too

Container.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Container 01.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Container 02.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:29 pm

I do like that. I'm just imaging the jobs worth at the insurance company. You know how they go through the tick box list, then think about how they got on with the storage questions.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:23 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.122 Posts

Wow Randa that takes my breath away.

Even with the motor mover I would not feel comfortable in trying to reverse it into such a tight low space. All credit to him or her.

Just one question though how would his partner get in for a brew and a read in winter - Kath just unzips the cover door and sneaks in.................

MikeT

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:54 am

In? He leaves her in there. Well he needs someone to look out of the back window to tell him when to stop.
R

Last edited Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:57 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:52 am
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

I open all doors and lockers. Move upholstery away from walls and run a 500watt convector with the thermostat set at 5 degrees during the winter. Cover with Protec and all windows at "sleep position".

Stewart

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Mercedes GLA 220d 4Matic
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:47 pm

A fairly fine day today so it was Eriba washday. It was so dirty that i've decided to wash it twice before covering it so all being well, another wash day tomorrow.

I must admit that I've not seen it so dirty before. The roof was brown with green bits growing out of all the gaskets and channels.

Randa

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12538 topics and 105761 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0