Winter preparations -Part V Bubble wrapping Taps

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:15 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

As an addition to preparing for winter and now being obsessed with not losing my taps to frost damage again, I'd like to ask people about taps and bubble wrap.

Kath has suggested that we wrap both the kitchen and bathroom taps in bubble wrap as a way of insulating them and she sees this as a simple no brainer, rather like insulating the outside water tap in the garden.

Has anyone else tried this and if so did it work for you? Or is it not a good idea?

Thanks
MikeT

Last edited Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:16 pm | Scroll up

RE: Winter preparations -Part V Bubble wrapping Taps

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:24 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.324 Posts

I wonder if you could also wrap something old and woollen around the tap body as insulation and hold it in place by slipping a sock over it. You'd still have to do the pipework junction underneath as well.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:36 pm
by John Cross | 264 Posts

Is there a known issue with these vans holding water then ?
I have always opened the drain and taps in my old vans, when leaving site. The water is fully discharged by the time I get home, so never had a problem with frozen water. I did the same when we left Burford last month and think the water has completely emptied, well I hope so.

Troll 540
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:41 pm

There should not be any reason why an Eriba would be more prone to frost damage than a "normal" van. Sounds like you are doing the correct thing, well I do the same anyway so I hope so. I have also fitted an isolator switch on my large on-board tank so I can leave the taps wide open over the winter whilst still leaving the 12v on so I can use the lights.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:36 pm

hi Colin & John

After Colin mentioned this we fully intended leaving ours open on the return Journey from the Knaresborough site at the end of October, however then Lancashire was declared a Tier 3 and C & MC cancelled our booking. This means we have not had chance to try this tactic out & lockdown means that we will have put our 540 to bed before we can try to use her again.

Such is life..............I cleaned it yesterday ready to polish and then put the cover on in the fine weather that was forecast for us today, but instead we have had almost a full day of rain in the beautiful Ribble Valley.

Will the sun shine tomorow?

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:39 am
by Pudelwagen (deleted)

Caravan taps are designed to hold a small quantity of water in the body despite draining the pipes. This is to ensure that the tap manufacturers get lots of orders for replacement taps in the spring because frost damage ruins the originals.

To avoid damage, you should blow and suck as much water out as you possibly can. I have also thought of the possibility of running some antifreeze (a strong salt solution, not the car stuff which is highly toxic) through the tap to replace the residual water.

Last edited Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:40 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:48 am
by Derekcbr (deleted)

Once you’ve drained the water, I always blow up a balloon, slip the end over an open tap and let it deflate. This gentle pressure pushes out the last remaining remnants of water without damaging the system.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:55 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.744 Posts

I had a problem some time back with the blue spray tap in the washroom coming apart and leaking due to frost expansion of residual water. I had to do an on-site fix while in France and later wrote up how to repair the tap and prevent a recurrence.

Here's a link if anyone is interested: Blue shower tap repair

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:28 am

Thanks for this Aaron .

Will study it in detail when I have had my hot morning shower....................

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:18 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

I have also thought of the possibility of running some antifreeze

Not such a daft idea. You can get antifreeze which is suitable for drinking water systems (non toxic). This is often used on boats.

one example .... https://www.marinesuperstore.com/winteri...NQaAs7JEALw_wcB

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:23 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

I have just had another quick check of our Eriba. Managed to get some residual water out of the system by blowing down the shower hose. Also had to put new batteries in the smoke alarm as it started beeping as soon as I had fitted the cover. My modified cover comes in handy for giving the van a quick air out without having to remove the cover.

cover_mod.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:27 pm
by JefL | 95 Posts

I drained our water system yesterday, removed the Caravanstore and fitted the cover......

....and rolled it into the garage for the winter. Like Colin I am fortunate to have a large enough garage for the Eriba. Not a lot of room left for much else but at least we don't have to worry about storms or frost.
The daft thing is fitting the hitch lock and wheel clamp to satisfy the insurers, with the van behind solid wooden doors secured with six bolts, and protected by the house alarm system.🙄

Jef
Freelander 2 and Big Ben, the 410
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:20 pm

I know what you mean about insurance. At our last house the van was also garage stored. You had to access the garage through the porch [with a house burglar alarm system] and 2 x 5 lever mortice locks.
To get it out you needed to remove it from It's axle stands and lift two 40+kg timber doors off. Then with the help of a friend or two you could get it out, as long as the car was removed from the driveway. All this and I needed to fit the wheel clamp and hitch lock. One company would not insure me as they also wanted a post concreted into the garage floor.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:29 pm

That sounds bonkers Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:39 pm

Not as bad as one member some years back who was a member of the Armed Forces. I seem to recall his van was kept on an Army base. 24 hr armed guard, security fences, floodlights, etc. Insurance refused as it did not meet security requirements.

Colin

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 27 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12538 topics and 105764 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3