RE: Skoda Karoq Towbar

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:43 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

Quote: Nautilus wrote in post #15
We tow our 530GT with our Karoq, also a retractable hitch, but the instructions for our hitch specifically warn to never apply grease to the tow ball. It's an anti-sway hitch, and the grease would defeat the anti-sway feature.

The others who have suggested greasing have mentioned that it is only done in the winter 'off' season when the towbar isn't being used and that it should be degreased before use.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
eribanaut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:48 am
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

Nautilus, I think you'll find that the owners of the retractable tow hitches above recommend greasing them for long term stowage, then degreasing them thoroughly before use.
I have one and if I just use a standard ball cover, it actually fills with water and the ball gets very rusty. I've tried wrapping the ball in a plastic bag secured with rubber bands but the damp still gets in.

Edit: Whoops, didn't see SDA's post on the next page.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual

Last edited Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:49 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:25 am
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Welcome Nautilus. As above the grease is for winter storage. When using the tow ball have you emery taped all of the protective black paint offf back to shiny steel. You need to do this so the hitch can grip the ball. If you do not then the paint will rub off and contaminate your nice new hitch. Between tows an occasional rub with emery tape may be needed. I also carry a tiny can of break cleaner to squirt on the ball and remove the build up of grime every couple of tows.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 22 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1