Skoda Karoq Towbar

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:13 pm
by Valjoneribafan (deleted)

HI All, After having my Skoda Octavia written off because of someone not taking the time to scrape the ice off his screen I have now
bought a Skoda Karoq, It is fitted with an electric retractable towbar, has anyone had experience using one of these. All comments
welcome, good or bad. Thanks in advance.

likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Skoda Karoq Towbar

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:32 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

We have several members on the forum with this VAG towbar in Skoda's and myself in an Audi A3.
With in my case the flick of a switch in the boot then it is deployed. and another flick it is disengaged ready to be retracted. It needs a light pull or push to flip it into place in either case. The 13 pin electrics plug into the elbow of the towbar and it is a very neat setup.
I would advise getting a rubber ball cover and greasing the ball when not used over winter as the supplied cover allows the weather and road dirt to get at the ball.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:34 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

As Colin said, but if you have a friction style hitch then remember to de-grease the tow ball before towing

Dave

Dave & Taka
Audi A3 2.0 TDi Sport closely linked to a 1994 Pan Duo T
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:44 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

hi Valjon

I have the Karoq Scout with this fitted. I also had an Octavia Scout previously with the Skoda manual retractable tow bar but after cutting my hand when I first tried to move it I never bothered again, and left it permanently in position.

I find the this tow bar a doddle. Like Colin's Audi the simple switch to drop it is in the boot. You give it a final push into position. I've also fitted it with a plastic cover for when it is not in use. Simple to push it back under the bumper area when you are not using it.

Its great to have no danger of accidentally banging your leg against it when messing in the boot.

For me it's a great piece of kit.

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:52 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Hi again Valjon

Colin's right about the winter grease of the tow bar ball when not using. The cover doesn't stop the ball rusting if you don't - and of course Dave is right about degreasing before using it again.

Just checked mine and I forgot to grease it this year so there is a nice coating of surface rust. Just another job when I get ready for our first trip of the year.

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:09 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

We have the Kodiaq with the Skoda retractable bar, a doddle to use and all the electrics are connected and work properly, [something people sometimes complain about not being done properly in VG cars]
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:32 pm

Thank you for your replies, it gives me a comfort to know you all appear to be happy with it.
I get the new car on Saturday so will have a play with it before I am able to get the Triton
Out of storage. Thanks again.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:44 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Hope all goes well. Just get them to check the full 13 pins work and it is sending power to charge the battery and run the fridge. I think it is pins 10 & 11 but best to look it up.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:24 pm

Thanks Colin I will get it checked out, the dealer assured me the fitter had done quite a lot of
these for them.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:08 pm

Now have my new Skoda Karoq complete with retractable tow bar, I am really pleased with it and will take all your good advice regarding greasing and de greasing tow ball, electric all appear to be correct but not able to get to caravan yet. Thanks for your comments.

eribaMotters and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:08 pm
by Rhys (deleted)

We have a Kodiaq and had a removable hitch fitted to tow our Troll 540GT. No worries about de-greasing as it sits in the boot when not in use

atkinbrown likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:11 pm

Hi Rhys, I had a witter with detachable hitch on my Octavia, I was always happy with it, I asked the dealers to
fit a witter but they gave me such a good deal on the car with this tow bar I couldn’t refuse it.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:08 pm
by Sportique | 332 Posts

I think we were discussing a retractable not removable tow hitch

Dave

Dave & Taka
eribanaut and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:01 am
by Sportique | 332 Posts

not really! That sounds a bit harsh in retrospect.

Dave & Taka
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:36 am
by Nautilus (deleted)

We tow our 530GT with our Karoq, also a retractable hitch, but the instructions for our hitch specifically warn to never apply grease to the tow ball. It's an anti-sway hitch, and the grease would defeat the anti-sway feature.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 16 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0