Kampa Dometic Pop Air Pro 365

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:39 pm
by Morphy | 966 Posts

Good evening all hope everyone is well,
Please could anyone give advice on the Kampa Dometic Pop Air Pro 365 for a Troll 540gt. I have searched the threads and found a small amount of information such as the fact it is a dead weight going up.

When we had our previous Troll we had the old style awning which proved a challenge to put up. What with trying not to damage the Troll then fit all the sides. Then when it rained sat up all night pushing the water off the sections as they swelled and hung down inside the awning.

I trust and hope you would not have that problem with the Kampa? or is there an alternative which is easy and fast to put up and very strong?
Thank you Morphy

Eriba Troll name Trevor year 2004 pushing a Silver Skoda Octavia Scout residing in sunny Lancashire.

Last edited Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:40 pm | Scroll up

RE: Kampa Dometic Pop Air Pro 365

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:13 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.326 Posts

SOULBLUESMAN68 [Mike] has this set-up and shares my views. I have the Kampa with my Triton. The awning is heavy to get in the track, but that is about the only real downside. It is a bit quicker to put up than a conventional awning, but not a lot. The speed comes when you get to taking it down. You have the advantage of no poles to damage the van, but the disadvantage of size being possibly a little less than a traditional frame awning.It is excellent for two but \i think a bit small for a family. The Fortex Aronde has twice the floorspace, but does cost £2K+ The curtains look a bit cheap but do the job whilst you'll want to get some heavier pegs, which is nothing unusual.You will as with all Eriba awnings get some wicking down the side of the van, but after a couple of good soakings this is minimal. You will get no pooling of water.
If you have a post 2010 van, which I've just noticed you don't, then you MUST get the 2nd generation, 2019 onwards model as the first awnings did not fit well on later vans. Even on earlier van, if you can get the later awning I would do so. These later models offer the option of a small sunshade that is worth buying and a fully removeable side panel as standard. Don't bother with the optional storm straps or gutter strip [buy the Seals Direct version] The model specific groundsheet/carpet is also excellent and not expensive.
Overall it is a good compromise on value, quality, space etc.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Morphy, cruickie and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Last edited Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:15 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:20 pm
by Morphy | 966 Posts

Thank you for that very informative reply much appreciated and has helped a lot. We are just in the process of starting to look for a new Eriba Troll having sold ours last year.
Thank you Morphy

Eriba Troll name Trevor year 2004 pushing a Silver Skoda Octavia Scout residing in sunny Lancashire.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:25 pm

Glad to be able to offer advice. Best of luck with your search for a new Troll, I know nearly new vans are in short supply at present. One forum member I know is chasing one at present. He noticed a van that came up over night and was sold by mid morning next day. Another he saw was sold within 6 minutes of the add going live.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:30 pm
by Morphy | 966 Posts

Wow Colin yes I noticed my profile said Troll 2004 I have changed that now for the moment. I might have to bite the bullet and buy new, we are going to the dealers next week see what is about. If we have to order one well that's what we will do. We shall see, if it is ok I will probably contact you again for a bit more advice on the Awning.
Steve (Morphy)

On the hunt for a Troll 540GT Silver Skoda Octavia Scout residing in sunny Lancashire.

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:31 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:31 am
by Randa france | 12.885 Posts

Hi Steve and Bev. Great news that you're back on the Eriba trail. Hope everyone is well?
R and A x

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Morphy likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:21 pm
by Morphy | 966 Posts

All good Roger thank you yes we are going to have a look next week try and get one. What a journey we have been on it will be a tale to tell when we get together.
Steve (Morphy)

On the hunt for a Troll 540GT Silver Skoda Octavia Scout residing in sunny Lancashire.
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:42 am
by thecolliss | 137 Posts

Anything other than a dead flat surface to pitch on and these blow-up awnings look very similar to a sack of potatoes on the side of the van.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:49 am
by rs540 | 261 Posts

Quote: thecolliss wrote in post #8
Anything other than a dead flat surface to pitch on and these blow-up awnings look very similar to a sack of potatoes on the side of the van.

The reality...

a.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Last edited Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:52 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:09 am

Exactly, but usually I've been able to find a flattish bit on my pitch so it sits correctly.
v1 is the original 2017 awning that pulled out of the track, v2 is the 2019 version that fits better and allows you to pull the awning into place place without it coming out of the awning track.

v1.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)v2.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

Last edited Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:20 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:49 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #10
System is not allowing me to upload photos.
You're right!

It's bust, that's why.

Don't think this is something we can fix.

A job for the host boffins, probably.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:31 pm

Thanks for the reply. All now good.

Colin

Last edited Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:21 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:25 pm
by Morphy | 966 Posts

Thank you very much all there is something to ponder on there Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:29 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Hi Morphy

Colin & I have chewed the cud many times about the Kampa 365. We were one of the first to get one of the new awnings for our Troll and I have had a love/hate relationship towards it - which is now closer to love.

Not mincing words the Kampa people released the first model of the awning without sorting all the glitches. In particular with the newer Trolls the keder beading on the awning kept coming out at the ends of the awning rail. Their response was to tell all of us who complained to cut 8 cms off the beading off to stop it pulling out. You can imagine how well this went down on an awning that cost so much money. However it did resolve the problem.

The other issue mentioned above (and this may relate to all air beam awnings) was that unless the area you were pitching on was relatively flat the awning would take up strange shapes. One one grass pitch our awning was like a Hobbit House and too low for me to get into. It makes the picture above look like a perfectly pitched awning.................

Our resolution to this is fairly simple in that we always book a hardstanding and like Colin ensure that the awning is on a flat bit. When we have taken a grass pitch we leave the Kampa at home and take either an Isabella Shadow Canopy or our Suncamp Vareo.

From what I can gather the 2019 second edition of the 365 is far better as Colin indicates, especially for a later Troll. A bonus for us would be that for the side that zips out you can get a small tent that fits on the side, which would be great for our grandchildren.

The love part comes from the fact that Kath and I can now get this awning up fairly quickly and easily. Strangely it goes in easier from the front and we always give the awning rail a quick spray of silicon lubricant to ease it along. It is a doddle and very quick to get down. One real positive for us is that the 365 has been brilliant a few times in some very strong winds - staying up when poles on other awnings have broken. We have had no pooling on the roof and suffered very little condensation, unless we are cooking,

Also whilst it isn't massive it is a good size for us as a couple and we cook in it most nights with our Ramoska and eat all our meals in it. Using the footprint and the carpet groundsheet makes it very cosy.

It works for us on our Troll and we would consider replacing it at some stage with the newer model. Perfect it isn't but what is.........

Hope this helps

MikeT

GT runner likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:23 am
by Morphy | 966 Posts

Thank you very much Mike for taking the time to write the above review very much appreciated. Reviews like that really help people who have never had an air awning understand the pitfalls and benefits thank Steve (Morphy)

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105773 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3