Draw bar mounted cycle carrier

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:28 pm
by Grandad Super (deleted)

Could anyone please advise on a suitable draw bar mounted cycle carrier to fit on a 2019 60 edition Troll ?

Scroll up

RE: Draw bar mounted cycle carrier

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:45 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

There seems to be a couple of options, the full Eriba kit which is fairly expensive, or a towball mounted on the drawbar in conjunction with a Thule Xpress. The official Eriba towball was a pricey option (fortunately fitted to our van by the previous owner). There is a thread where someone has made a suitable bracket to enable a standard towball to be fitted to the jockey wheel mounts. Someone will post a link to this thread I am sure.
I modified our Thule Xpress to allow one bike to be fitted each side which worked better in our case.

As our bikes are quite large, I also find turning the handle bars around to a front to rear position, and taking the pedals off the inner bike, helps a lot.

20190108_121829.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
20190108_121414.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Last edited Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:48 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:04 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:19 pm
by Morphy | 966 Posts

Just looking at the price from the dealer to supply and fit the cycle rack it is £435 and can carry two cycles with a max load capacity of 60kg.
Morphy

On the hunt for a Troll 540GT Silver Skoda Octavia Scout residing in sunny Lancashire.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:11 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.326 Posts

I have fitted carriers to the back of all four of my vans and front of two of them. The front are the towball on bracket with Thule Express carrier as in above post. Despite being practically able to do this work and very mean with my money I really would give the latest drawbar option serious consideration. Yes it does cost more but it is a very nicely engineered bit of kit.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:51 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Dom Fox has a ready made version of the "simplest cheapest front-mounted cycle carrier" for £89 including delivery. Seems like good value. (plus of course about £70 for the Thule Xpress carrier).

https://www.domfox.co.uk/accessories-and...r-mounting-kit/

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:35 pm
by Grandad Super (deleted)

Thanks for all the replies. I will try a Dom fox version to use with my peruzzo tow ball mounting carrier. Will have to be careful with the nose weight

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 05, 2021 10:47 pm
by John Cross | 264 Posts

I have just been having a look at the Dom Fox setup, has anyone got/used one.
Are they easy to use, can you fit 2 bikes easily.
Can you still adjust the jockey wheel when this is fitted with bikes attached
Any advice welcomed please

Troll 540 LR Discovery 1 Fred and Diane
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 06, 2021 9:07 am
by eribaMotters | 5.326 Posts

I made my up back in 2014. I currently use it on my Triton but only with one bike as other is on rear of van. I use it with Thule Express. I did about 1,200 miles like this last year and it worked well. I made some bracing bars up to attach carrier to front grab handles and they were not needed and a waste of time.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 06, 2021 9:51 am
by John Cross | 264 Posts

Thanks Colin, I noticed that some carry their bikes inside the van. I may see how we get on with that method. We would only be wanting to do this, very occasionally.
The other option was putting them on the car roof, but that's quite a lift up onto a Discovery roof. I do have roof bars and bike carrier. I will have a look into it.
Cheers

Troll 540 LR Discovery 1 Fred and Diane
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105773 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1