Back rest cushions in 540

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 04, 2021 1:05 pm
by Magpie | 672 Posts

Doing a bit of vague thinking this wet morning on how to manage using the van. Our 540 has a multifunctional bed and we use it mostly set up as two singles. The split cushion backrest is joined with velcro (which sets my teeth on edge every time I split the cushions to make up the single beds). I've also already had to have it repaired on one cushion as the stitching pulled away. It also picks up dust, doghair and grass. The other backrest isn't needed if the beds are to be used as singles. So, any thoughts on the velcro, please, and what do folks do with the unsplit cushion at night? My apologies if these are daft musings.

Scroll up

RE: Back rest cushions in 540

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 04, 2021 1:27 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

They're not daft M.

You have a number of options with the multi-function bed, presumably that's where the name came from.

Mrs SDA insisted on using one of the two narrow backrests but I was quite happy not bothering and having a slightly narrower bed. This meant the gangway was slightly wider too.

Of course one side could use the large backrest and have a really wide single and the other no backrest at all, or just the narrow strip. It's a real mix n match situation. What I would say is that the narrower part should always go by the van wall, as they can slide off the other edge.

As to storing the bits left overnight, I've heard of some who put them in the washroom and if you have an awning they're fine in that. We often just slung them over the front dinette and in the morning, if I was up early and Mrs SDA was sleeping I'd move them back on top of my bed.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Magpie and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Last edited Tue May 04, 2021 1:28 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 04, 2021 6:52 pm
by Markeriba | 149 Posts

We also have a 540, and we tend to just put stuff in the car at night. The folding table sits nicely across the front seats, and the odd occasions when we don’t need the wider backrest, that too just goes in the car.
Due to the vans being compact, I like to make sure there is no clutter around at night, so that when I arise in the morning I can have a peaceful coffee at the dinette end.

Magpie and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 04, 2021 7:30 pm
by marmite | 400 Posts

Magpie we remember you from the after meet quiz ( I think a lot of falling down water was consumed that night)
pull out the single bed extensions just enough so that you can drop the backrest cushion down to form a buffer between you and the outside wall of the van you'll still have a gangway in the middle big enough to get in and out and there's no faffing about wielding a long cushion in a small van.

or

again extend the extensions and slide the cushion along the floor against the base of the dinette the drop down support legs will hold it in position this method however will leave you with a bit of the bedframe exposed so don't bang your shins on it.

Hope this helps

Denise & Phil

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 05, 2021 2:49 pm
by Magpie | 672 Posts

Pull out the single bed extensions just enough so that you can drop the backrest cushion down to form a buffer between you and the outside wall of the van you'll still have a gangway in the middle big enough to get in and out and there's no faffing about wielding a long cushion in a small van.
or
again extend the extensions and slide the cushion along the floor against the base of the dinette the drop down support legs will hold it in position this method however will leave you with a bit of the bedframe exposed so don't bang your shins on it.[/quote
The first solution is the one we usually use and, although convenient it leaves one with a narrow single. Putting the wide backrest on the floor is probably the best option although it then becomes prey for a dog that tends to chew stuff (and sleeps down there). And I don't really want the dog on the bed. If we use the split cushions separately and flat, the singles are a good size, but I don't think the velcro stitching will last too long if it gets pulled apart very many times. Oh well that's what coping in an Eriba is all about I suppose - keeps the mind busy.

Last edited Wed May 05, 2021 3:35 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 05, 2021 3:09 pm

As Mrs SDA is wont to say, 'never mind, you can always knit another one'.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 05, 2021 3:11 pm

When we had a big table in our '01 540 we used to slide it under the back of the van overnight. I still have the heavy duty canvas bag from Bags4U that I bought for it.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 05, 2021 5:06 pm
by Captain Calamity | 349 Posts

The replacement cost of a modern Eriba table is £700. I'd put it in the back of the car overnight!

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 05, 2021 9:58 pm
by marmite | 400 Posts

Really? £700 for a table
I've a small fortune in the loft then, it moved in there on the day we got our troll 540
I'll up the insurance

Denise & Phil

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 05, 2021 10:56 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

On our 540 with the multifunction beds we put our big table under the bed on the door side when we make the bed(s) up. As we don't keep anything else in there it is a nice fit - but you need to watch your knuckles as you put it in.

If we have an awning up we put the table in the awning and eat all our meals in there

We have played with the beds in various positions but now nearly always make it up as a king size double and sleep across the van. I am 5 ft 11 (but shrinking) and fit comfortably across the van. As I am the one who has to get up to use the toilet in the night I sleep on the bathroom side and Kath tucks herself right up against the back of the van.

When we collected our Troll from AL Cameron suggested to us that some people just take the velco pad off the inner wall, as eventually it damages the material on the rear of the backrest. We decided to leave ours on but you can see where it is catching the material. We might remove it at some stage.

MikeT

Magpie likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 19 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105771 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3