WANTED: Spare wheel carrier

in Got an Eriba or anything Eriba-related to sell? Looking for a caravan, parts or accessories? Put your adverts here Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:02 pm
by Sulphurman | 82 Posts

Still looking for a carrier for Esther the Puck (1998). I did get one from a larger van and was going to get it adjusted to suit, but am still missing the smaller frame that locks it at the front. Any help greatly appreciated!

Steve

(Verity &) Steve
Esther the Puck and Bianca the BMW. Esther's Instagram

Last edited Sun May 09, 2021 7:26 pm | Scroll up

RE: Spare wheel carrier

in Got an Eriba or anything Eriba-related to sell? Looking for a caravan, parts or accessories? Put your adverts here Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:11 pm
by Randa france | 12.890 Posts

I don't know whether you've seen this Steve but this is a pic of the one we took off our Troll a few years ago.

g45p1412-Spare-Wheel-Carrier.html#viewport

I'm a bit puzzled about your comment on a smaller frame that locks it at the front? Ours locks at the rear. If it's of any use I sketched out a rough diagram including dimensions.

g45p1413-Spare-Wheel-Carrier.html#viewport

(been meaning to do a proper job of it but never got around to it )

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:12 pm | Scroll up

in Got an Eriba or anything Eriba-related to sell? Looking for a caravan, parts or accessories? Put your adverts here Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:50 pm
by Sulphurman | 82 Posts

Ooh...thanks for that handy sketch with dimensions! I was of course meaning front as you are looking at the back lol. The bit facing you as you are getting at the spare wheel. I might have to get a back bracket made and reduce the size of the carrier I've got as Puck carriers seem to be a rarity.

(Verity &) Steve
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Got an Eriba or anything Eriba-related to sell? Looking for a caravan, parts or accessories? Put your adverts here Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:00 pm
by Randa france | 12.890 Posts

Yes. Our carrier takes a 13" wheel so you might have to reduce the measurements accordingly. Does your Puck have the short metal pipes welded to the underside to take the rack and lock brackets?
They slide into the appropriate pipes and are held there using split pins.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Got an Eriba or anything Eriba-related to sell? Looking for a caravan, parts or accessories? Put your adverts here Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:28 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

My Puck carrier looks like the same general design as Randa's apart from the butterfly thingy. Mine just sits in the cradle unable to move when closed. If it did have the the butterfly thingy I doubt it would have the clearance to remove the wheel. Also I do not have the same locking arrangement. Mine doesn't have the offset padlock loop. The hanging 'A' is central and hooks over the 'split pin' projection and instead of a split pin a small padlock holds it on. Just had another quick look and the 'padlock loop' is used for the safety chain only. I wonder if Randa's was the same ?

If you need any more details I may be able to get at camera underneath at some time. Let me know.

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:37 pm | Scroll up

in Got an Eriba or anything Eriba-related to sell? Looking for a caravan, parts or accessories? Put your adverts here Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:52 am
by Sulphurman | 82 Posts

Randa: From memory she does have the tubes on the chassis
Steve: Thank you the would be good to see how yours is arranged, thanks!

(Verity &) Steve
Scroll up

in Got an Eriba or anything Eriba-related to sell? Looking for a caravan, parts or accessories? Put your adverts here Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:48 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

Here are a load of photos. My isometric drawing skills are a bit rusty but as you can see my frame shape matches Randa’s apart from the butterfly clamp and the dimensions. The significant differences are :

The vertical drop of the cradle hangers is 190-200mm (160mm on Randas)
The base of the cradle is 550mm long (660mm on Randas)
The height of the separate ‘A’ frame is 165mm (160 on Randas)
The A frame curves slightly to hug the tyre (curve is 10mm off the straight)

My tyre is a 155/80/R13. The floor of the puck slopes upwards towards the rear. The tyre only just fits in the space between the front frame member and the rear overhang. There is more vertical clearance near the front as ground clearance is not critical there. But the tyre is a tighter squeeze at the rear (at the ‘A’ frame) presumably to give maximum ground clearance here. Plenty of width between the 2 vertical side bars.

I would suggest you support your spare wheel with bricks and wood or whatever to hold it into the space between the floor frame as mentioned (I doubt a 14” tyre would fit). When positioned it should be clearer to see what you are trying to achieve. I would say the ‘A’ frame height and curvature is the most important measurement to get correct.

It is possible that there was a butterfly clamp originally but the fit is so tight that it may have been cut off.

Steve

DSC04247.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)DSC04261.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)DSC04262.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)DSC04266.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)DSC04267.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)DSC04248.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)DSC04249.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)DSC04250.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)DSC04251.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)DSC04254.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)DSC04255.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)DSC04256.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)DSC04260.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Randa france and Sulphurman like this post!
Last edited Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:27 pm | Scroll up

in Got an Eriba or anything Eriba-related to sell? Looking for a caravan, parts or accessories? Put your adverts here Mon May 03, 2021 7:09 pm
by Sulphurman | 82 Posts

Thanks Steve! Really helpful photos and info. I would like to be able to adjust the larger one I've got but still looking for a second hand one or even just an A frame.

(Verity &) Steve
Scroll up

in Got an Eriba or anything Eriba-related to sell? Looking for a caravan, parts or accessories? Put your adverts here Mon May 03, 2021 7:40 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

https://www.domfox.co.uk/accessories-and...eel-carrier-99/
does say not for puck but could be modified.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Got an Eriba or anything Eriba-related to sell? Looking for a caravan, parts or accessories? Put your adverts here Mon May 03, 2021 8:26 pm
by Sulphurman | 82 Posts

Thanks Dave, as mentioned I have got one which I might modify.

(Verity &) Steve
Scroll up

in Got an Eriba or anything Eriba-related to sell? Looking for a caravan, parts or accessories? Put your adverts here Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:24 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 212 Posts

Useful sketches Roger!

I was just about to start a new thread on this subject, as I removed my spare for the first time a couple of weeks ago.
This was done on a fine day with the troll on level block paving, but what a performance!
The cage dropped down easily enough but that’s when the fun started - I had the nose nearly on the floor but I struggled to get enough clearance to lift the wheel up over the screwed bar for the butterfly nut. In the end I did get it off but not without a scratch to the paintwork on the new alloy. (First-world issue I know.) The wheel was fitted facing downwards so it was harder to clear the bolt, but it’s still not easy. Take this situation to the roadside with a flat tyre reducing clearance further and making it harder to get underneath to do anything and it’s time to call the AA.

My solution was to chop the treaded bar and drill a 10.5mm hole whilst removing a section of the steel rod from underneath so I can weld an m10 nut in place.
Now I can have a butterfly nut on the end of 100mm of threaded bar so when it’s unscrewed it’s not going to obstruct anything.
I’m planning on pushing some plastic pipe over the rods of the frame to protect the wheel from scratches.

What do you all think?

Scroll up

in Got an Eriba or anything Eriba-related to sell? Looking for a caravan, parts or accessories? Put your adverts here Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:53 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

There is one advantage to the wheel being a pain to remove. Last year on a hilly Welsh incline through a nice village with not so nice speed bumps I heard a grinding noise. The last bump had caught the padlock, leaving in on the road and the cradle had dropped. Fortunately the wheel stayed in its cradle. Fortunately I had a spare padlock that I inverted when I fitted it and then pulled some cable ties around the area for good measure.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Alan likes this post!
Scroll up

in Got an Eriba or anything Eriba-related to sell? Looking for a caravan, parts or accessories? Put your adverts here Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:37 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 212 Posts

Hey Colin, I’m all for it staying in place when it’s supposed to.🙂

I did consider making a frame to hold it behind the hitch, but I want to keep it as standard as possible.

I’ll post photos when I’m happy with it.

Scroll up

in Got an Eriba or anything Eriba-related to sell? Looking for a caravan, parts or accessories? Put your adverts here Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:42 pm
by Alan | 77 Posts

Like you Colin the cradle for my spare dropped and dragged along the ground causing an embarrassing noise! I now carry it in the van in a wheel cover .

mr_underhill likes this post!
Last edited Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:43 pm | Scroll up

in Got an Eriba or anything Eriba-related to sell? Looking for a caravan, parts or accessories? Put your adverts here Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:54 pm
by mr_underhill | 688 Posts

I carry mine in the van, so that it is easily accessible if I get a flat tyre. The jack goes by the door as well as the battery drill !

Tardis II , Eriba Puck 1990 pushing a Fiat 500 Colour Therapy, Twin Air Turbo.
One man and his dog.. retired 🐶
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 24 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12541 topics and 105785 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2