Which way round do people sleep?

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 04, 2021 10:51 pm
by Jezcms (deleted)

Apologies if this has been asked before, but which way round do people sleep in a 410, etc, with lengthways beds?

So far we’ve been head to window & feet to wardrobe/sink. But I’m worried about leaning against a breakable part to the window, so we’re gonna try feet to window this weekend. Curious what other people do.

likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Which way round do people sleep?

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 04, 2021 11:24 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

In both our 540's, with similar beds to a 410, we slept with feet to the rear window. It was much nicer sitting up in bed leaning against kitchen or wardrobe wall, rather than the curved end pillar and window.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Frantone and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 05, 2021 9:00 pm
by John Cross | 264 Posts

In our 540, (we have only slept in it twice) we slept across the van and found it very comfy. We where making the bed up at night and breaking it down in the morning.
We will probably leave the bed up if we are away for longer, and use the front dinette more.

Troll 540 LR Discovery 1 Fred and Diane
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 05, 2021 11:06 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Hi Jez

We have a 540 with similar beds and we make ours into a large double and sleep across the van with our feet on the window side. Our feet don't touch the windows as the mattress is quite a way below the window.

We have also slept lengthways but the other way to Steamdy with our heads against the back of the van, but we prefer lying across.

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 05, 2021 11:22 pm

We've always used the beds as singles, of varying widths as the multi-function provides so many options, but the reason we've not bothered making up the double is that we need the space for the dogs to sleep. With the double bed made up there's only floorspace in front of the kitchen and under the dinette. Not enough room for two bearded collies who try to ignore each other as much as possible.
If we were going to use a double bed across the van, which would mean me climbing over Mrs SDA in the morning when I get up to make my tea, then I'd probably opt for a 530, so we had a bit more front dinette seating space. I mean who needs a double bed 6ft 6ins wide and 6ft 6ins long? To me the whole point of a 540 or 420 is the long single bed option.

Frantone and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 05, 2021 11:44 pm

Good point Steamdy

That flexibility is the beauty of the multi-function beds.

When we take the double down during the day we have a single bed each to loll upon whilst we read or have an afternoon doze after a long walk or a nip into the pub.

We have also used the double once to house my wife, daughter and grandson lengthways on the double, whilst I slept soundly with the front dinette made up as a bed,

Kath likes the large space that you describe that the double gives you as apparently I am a restless sleeper and the space keeps her well away from my fidgeting.................say no more

MikeT

John Cross likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 06, 2021 7:55 am
by rs540 | 261 Posts

Quote: SOULBLUESMAN68 wrote in post #6
Good point Steamdy

You can abbreviate a little more and just call him Steamy...

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 06, 2021 8:07 am

Quote: rs540 wrote in post #7
Quote: SOULBLUESMAN68 wrote in post #6
Good point Steamdy

You can abbreviate a little more and just call him Steamy...

Two can play at that game Just call him 'R's'

Most shorten my ID to SDA

rs540 and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Last edited Thu May 06, 2021 8:08 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 06, 2021 2:00 pm
by BuffySilk (deleted)

We have a Troll 540 which is new to us. My husband slept with his head to the back and feet near the kitchen. He turned over in the night and cracked his forehead against the middle table. The next day his head sported a lovely cut and I told him off for bleeding over the new quilt cover. Our friends stayed on the same camp site and the husband was also sporting a lovely black eye after sticking his head under the caravan to check something. The cl owner must have thought we were a suspicious lot with the two men injured like that.

Last edited Thu May 06, 2021 2:00 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 06, 2021 11:20 pm

Hi Buffy

I did the same but with the corner of the little cupboard the comes with the multi-function bed layout. Mine wasn't at night but whilst having an afternoon nap after a long walk.

Boy did it wake me up quick and hurt like mad - I learnt a harsh lesson and have never done it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 07, 2021 8:01 pm
by chasnick | 69 Posts

It's really interesting that no one has the same ideas on sleeping arrangements, and we are no different. We picked up our new 540 Troll last July and immediately removed the central cabinet and the table, bubble wrapped them and stowed them safely in a wardrobe at home. We then organised the bed to a full time double, bought a memory foam topper and voila, a king size bed to die for. We are fair weather campers and although we do get caught out sometimes generally we hope to live mostly outside. We love the option of after a good lunch and plenty of fine wine, to be able to totter in and crash out for an hour or two. We sleep lengthways with heads to the window which makes night time comfort breaks easier to manage .We love the sleeping arrangement and considering we are still on our Honeymoon after only 36 years of marriage it's perfect !!!

, SOULBLUESMAN68 and cruickie like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 07, 2021 9:27 pm
by Eribee (deleted)

We have a Triton 420 so have the option of 2 singles or king size bed, until last year we made up the big bed and slept with the pillows under the back window and feet towards the kitchen end of the van, night-time exits could be made without disturbing partners, it worked fine. Husbands arthritis in knees and back began to make this more difficult for him so last year we began sleeping across the van so he was able to get out and in more easily. This does mean I have to clamber past him if I want to get out in the night but as I am a shorty I am able to stand up on the bed, hold onto the roof edge for balance and step out and over him quite easily. He is 5ft 10 so can just about manage sleeping across our 21 yr old triton, I suppose eventually we could change to the single bed option but sleeping across works fine for us at the moment.

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri May 07, 2021 11:20 pm

Quote: chasnick wrote in post #11
We picked up our new 540 Troll last July and immediately removed the central cabinet and the table, bubble wrapped them and stowed them safely in a wardrobe at home. We then organised the bed to a full time double, bought a memory foam topper and voila, a king size bed to die for.

That sounds to me as if you're using the 540 exactly like a 542, which makes me wonder why you didn't get a 542 in the first place?

Last edited Sat May 08, 2021 8:46 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat May 08, 2021 9:13 am
by chasnick | 69 Posts

That sounds to me as if you're using the 540 exactly like a 542, which makes me wonder why you didn't get a 542 in the first place?

The extra flexibility of the 540 made it the perfect choice for when the time comes to sell on, ( which won't be anytime soon ) plus we hit the dealer at just the right time and got what we think was a very good deal.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 09, 2021 6:09 pm
by Magpie | 672 Posts

In a 540, when using the beds as singles, if you sleep with your heads at the kitchen end you are under the reading lights - useful. Also if you are the one who sleeps with their head by the wardrobe you can turn off the rear end lights without getting out of bed - makes sense (provided, of course, that you have remembered to turn off the lights at the front end and middle!)

Scroll up

Visitors
3 Members and 56 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12539 topics and 105776 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 3