RE: Windbreaks

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun May 23, 2021 3:52 pm
by chasnick | 69 Posts

Interesting to read about folks desire for windbreaks, we have caravaned/motorhomed for 20 years plus and have never had or felt the need to have one. OK, we are fair weather campers with most of of our time spent in sunnier climes and do occasionally get caught out but hey! We love Studland beach and often on scorching hot days with a welcome gentle breeze watch folk erect windbreaks, why? The views there are breathtaking so why would you blot them out, is it a privacy thing? Never quite understood it, just another bit of expensive, heavy, bulky kit, but that's just us! Just an alternative view.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun May 23, 2021 4:09 pm
by Randa france | 12.875 Posts

We no longer use them but when we did, it was a privacy thing when we only had a sun shade up. I can't understand why people insist on walking across other pitches especially when it's hardly a shortcut.

Don't often get it when camping abroad but it's prolific in the UK.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
monoboard likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun May 23, 2021 4:26 pm
by chasnick | 69 Posts

Ah yes Roger, walking across your pitch. I have a Rotweiller, aka Nicky my wife, they only do it once!

Randa france and Shady Pines like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun May 23, 2021 7:42 pm
by monoboard | 352 Posts

Regarding windbreaks. When you have to book your holiday (Scotland) months in advance and if it pours down for a week I’d like an awning but I have yet to see one I’m happy with. They either tend to be thin & fragile & need extra work & designed for vw’s or air pops that need to be pitched on a bowling green & cost 800 + extras. The other time when I’m away & grabbing only a two night stay. Put up on a late Friday night if time & take it down Sunday in time to be off for 12. And only a little eriba 320 to dry cycling clothes & walking stuff so yes it’s a crap compromise

Captain Calamity likes this post!
Last edited Tue May 25, 2021 8:37 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon May 24, 2021 12:18 am
by Ronnie | 68 Posts

Same here, the only awning we like is an atomatent and due to delivery times and shipping issues we had to make a different choice. So we went with the Isabella loggia canopy and two jormax windbreaks.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon May 24, 2021 8:34 pm
by Rich_T (deleted)

After much research we've just bought two of the kampa pro3 windbreaks. For us the metal guy poles were the clincher as we generally head further north and usually come across fairly strong winds.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon May 24, 2021 9:14 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

Stroll on, I just looked up how much they cost.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
marmite, Doonhamer, monoboard and eribanaut like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon May 24, 2021 11:31 pm
by Alan | 77 Posts

I think these windbreak manufacturers are having a laugh, god knows what profit they are making.

monoboard and eribanaut like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 25, 2021 7:52 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.004 Posts

I remember looking at Jormax as a means of corralling our three beardies back about 10 years ago. The price was staggering for a few struts and a bit of material, with minimal uncomplicated sewing. Instead we opted for a metal grille folding puppy pen at about £30,which we still use. It's see through (obvs) and doesn't break wind (sorry madam) but with the judicious positioning of a folding dog crate to close a remaining gap it works well.

20180624_132111.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Last edited Tue May 25, 2021 7:54 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 25, 2021 9:23 am
by monoboard | 352 Posts

Well i've looked (online) at countless windbreaks, theres the air giant sausage things which for me are to bulky, there's the Isabella flex which looks pretty good but you have ground peg & post to slide over for every upright + triangle plate for every one & then try to set the gap, to me its seems a lot of tin tubes & plates all be it very polished looking but at the end of the days its a windbreak.
Jormax, it appears (let you know when mine arrives) to be a simple bang the pole in the ground and from the video they look good thick aluminium so its nice & light with no rust & what looks like machine turned tip either welded or crimped in to the pole. I've read reviews from people who have had them 7 or 8 years & seem very pleased. So nice & light, bank in the ground (might take a cordless drill with a slightly smaller drill for any mega hard standing) no bars going down to the sides at an angle like the Kampa one or guy wires to get in the way or trip on. so fingers crossed

Last edited Tue May 25, 2021 11:29 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue May 25, 2021 3:07 pm
by JefL | 95 Posts

I kinda like the idea of guy ropes. We have a Vango windbreak on which I have changed the guy ropes from their standard high vis' orange to dirty white nylon so it blends in. After they've tripped over it once or twice, people stop walking across our pitch.

Takes me back to the days when the kids were small, camping in St Ives in the eighties. Large frame tent with additional guys rigged for Cornwall's gales, four per side, and two diagonally across INSIDE just in front of the bedrooms for triangulation, 18 in total. It was like tramping through virgin jungle to get to the loo. But we never lost the tent, despite waking up some mornings to scenes ot total devastation.
Gotta love guyropes.

Jef
Freelander 2 and Big Ben, the 410

Last edited Tue May 25, 2021 3:10 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed May 26, 2021 9:53 am
by Ronnie | 68 Posts

Not cheap but quality.
I think we’ve all been to the on site rubbish bins and seen broken poles and ripped nylon.

Williebraveheart and monoboard like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 27, 2021 1:33 pm
by AlanC | 93 Posts

We have always liked the continental sites with hedging around the pitches. This clearly marks your area and privacy.

Why don't UK sites plant hedges around their pitches?
Gwithian in Cornwall is the only UK site we have used which does this, I am sure there must be others, but they are few and far between.

Alan

Liz and Alan
monoboard and Doonhamer like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 27, 2021 6:04 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.004 Posts

As you say, other sites do have hedges/planting around their pitches but many do not.

Maintenance is one issue that is against them and, on grass the flexibility of moving pitches slightly when they get worn is another reason.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu May 27, 2021 10:08 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

I noticed some at the CCC Corfe Castle site when I was there last week (one of which had a puck parked in it)

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 47 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105684 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0