Storm straps

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:49 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.609 Posts

I am just sat in my awning in Grassington Yorkshire, the wind is extremely strong. My Kampa popair awning is dancing like Michael Flatley on speed. The wind has managed to whip out a lot of the ground pegs. Fortunately the storm straps have kept the awning in place. From experience if you haven't got the storm straps which are an extra put them on your next Eriba shopping list.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Randa france and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Storm straps

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:03 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

I've got to admit I do rate storm straps but I'm surprised those on the Kampa have proved of any use. When I went from v1 to v2 I did not bother buying them. The pegs are like folded foil and the straps actually pull the van away from the van. The should go sideways and not out from the from the front of the awning as you would be led to believe when fixing them.
For those not in the know, the fixing is towards to top of the front angled air tube.
june 2019 - 4-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Poptop320 likes this post!
Last edited Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:08 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:46 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

Colin when we had really strong winds in Angelsey this summer I used the Kampa storm straps but then added my own extra guy ropes that I fastened through the loop at the top of the storm straps and pulled these out at almost right angles to the straps themselves.

I put these in the hardstanding with some long hard ground pegs and they seemed to work a treat. We will do it again when we get really strong gusts - made worse on this night by the fact that we were on a hill.

Mike

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:03 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.313 Posts

This is what I meant by going sideways, sounds a bit like you did Mike. My Fortex had 4 straps, 2 each side. The pegs were about 450-500mm long and out of 25mm angle. It was never going to move anywhere.
g - outside - front at angle-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Last edited Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:07 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:26 am
by Poptop320 | 2.609 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #2
I've got to admit I do rate storm straps but I'm surprised those on the Kampa have proved of any use. When I went from v1 to v2 I did not bother buying them. The pegs are like folded foil and the straps actually pull the van away from the van. The should go sideways and not out from the from the front of the awning as you would be led to believe when fixing them.
For those not in the know, the fixing is towards to top of the front angled air tube.

Colin

I thought the same Colin that the storm straps should face to the side, however after last night I can see why they face to the front. The wind was directly into the awning and the storm straps stopped it collapsing inwards. The pegs are too weak for hard standing so I stick them in the grass at an angle just past the pitch edge. They should be included with the awning and not an accessory, I am going to struggle getting my rock pets out when I leave, I have knocked them down so hard that they are nailed into Australia

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Last edited Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:29 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 56 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12526 topics and 105684 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4