Help - setting off this morning and water pump not working!

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 30, 2021 7:18 am
by Jane (deleted)

Hi all
Just setting off on maiden voyage this morning. Ran Aquasol through the water system yesterday as not used water for months and all was working well. Left overnight, drained out this morning. Filled up with clean water to drain again but pump doesn't seem to be working this morning. Nothing coming through taps and toilet won't flush (flushes from onboard tank). Pump making a noise but doesn't seem to be pumping.
Help - any ideas?
Many thanks
Jane

Scroll up

RE: Help - setting off this morning and water pump not working!

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 30, 2021 7:43 am
by JohnE (deleted)

There could be a list of reasons as long as your arm as to the cause of the problem:

Do other things work ok in the van, eg lights to prove the leisure battery is ok

I guess the only thing that has changed from when you pumped water yesterday is the pump was disconnected
then reconnected this morning - so maybe the pump - housing connection is iffy?

Last edited Sun May 30, 2021 7:48 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 30, 2021 8:08 am
by Jane (deleted)

Thanks John. Lights are on and as far as I can tell all else ok. Is a new battery so should be fine. Pump whirring so electric getting through. Have checked pump is fully submersed and nothing twisted...no other things to try!

Last edited Sun May 30, 2021 8:09 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 30, 2021 8:31 am
by JohnE (deleted)

You'll need to describe your water system - cold only or if hot water installed, which boiler is fitted?

If boiler fitted it will have a drain valve or two - are these closed?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun May 30, 2021 12:27 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.001 Posts

You say you are trying to pump the water out. So where are you taking the water from, a tap or a drain vent? If the pump is operating then it should have built pressure and turned itself off if blocked/taps shut off. So if it's operating and running continuously then it hasn't built sufficient pressure in the system. That would indicate an air leak in the system somewhere eg an open vent, open tap, hole in hose but they'd normally be evident because there'd be water about. If there's no water evident inside or under the van and the level in the internal tank isn't dropping, that would indicate a pump where the motor is running but the spindle/prop thing isn't turning to push the water.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 31, 2021 9:15 pm
by chasnick | 69 Posts

Hi Jane, try opening a tap and then wiggle the pump vigarously whilst submerged. Hopefully you will hear a change in pitch from the pump, good luck!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 31, 2021 11:01 pm
by Derekcbr (deleted)

Hi Jane, sometimes the pump impeller ceases. Use a small screwdriver and try turning it a few times. I’ve had to do this a few times and then it works. You will see the impeller on the underside of the pump thru a hole in the outer casing of the pump. It’s got ridges fanning out from the centre so try turning it with a small screwdriver.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 31, 2021 11:14 pm

Quote: Derekcbr wrote in post #7
Hi Jane, sometimes the pump impeller ceases. Use a small screwdriver and try turning it a few times. I’ve had to do this a few times and then it works. You will see the impeller on the underside of the pump thru a hole in the outer casing of the pump. It’s got ridges fanning out from the centre so try turning it with a small screwdriver.

According to the OP, the pump motor can be heard running. But it seems we have a pump in an internal tank, not one in an external Aquaroll or similar. This may be harder to access and move about, I don't know as I've not run a van with such an arrangement. I suppose it might be possible for the pump motor to run, without the impeller turning, but it's highly unlikely as they're usually bonded to each other. If the pump impeller is turning then there either has to be a leak, so that pressure doesn't build in order to shut off the pump or there's a restriction/twist in a pipe somewhere stopping water getting though. However the latter problem seems unlikely as it would still allow pressure to build and that would automatically turn off the pump. Flummoxed.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:04 am
by rs540 | 261 Posts

Quote: Steamdrivenandy wrote in post #8

If the pump impeller is turning then there either has to be a leak, so that pressure doesn't build in order to shut off the pump or there's a restriction/twist in a pipe somewhere stopping water getting though. However the latter problem seems unlikely as it would still allow pressure to build and that would automatically turn off the pump. Flummoxed.

Surely this only applies to a pressurised system whereas Eriba Touring models generally use tap mounted microswitches to energise the pump. Since it can be heard running, then there is either a blockage on the inlet or outlet side of the pump, otherwise a leak which should be easy to find.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:10 am
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

If its an onboard water tank make sure the drain plug inside the tank is properly seated/sealed.

Mine has a handle on an eccentric lobe that needs to be moved through 90 degrees after the plug has been inserted (in order to create a watertight seal).

Previously I have filled up the night before and wondered why the water pump was running with no water until I realised the plug wasnt in properly

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:18 pm

Both the 540's I've owned have had pressurised systems, no micro switches involved.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:10 pm
by rs540 | 261 Posts

Quote: Steamdrivenandy wrote in post #11
Both the 540's I've owned have had pressurised systems, no micro switches involved.

Standard specification on factory models these days use microswitches although I've no idea about vans manufactured prior to 2018.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:35 pm
by JefL | 95 Posts

Microswitches were factory fit in both our 2016 Familia and our current 2016 Triton.

Jef
Freelander 2 and Big Ben, the 410
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:08 pm

I doubt that either of my vans started off with the water systems installed when I ran them. That's one of the joys and bugbears of Eriba Tourings. If they all had comprehensive systems as standard when new there wouldn't be the maddening and eccentric variety that we see in the decades of vans around now. So much stuff is retro fitted it makes life interesting but frustrating too.

Last edited Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:18 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:03 pm
by John Rowland | 9 Posts

I have a new, 2days, 540 and the internal and external pump will not turn off. There is seepage from the sink tap. Might affect the micro switch. Have got in touch with dealer. An expensive nuisance as going to France in 2 days!!

I've just been told that the new Eriba 540 does not fill the in board tank from aquaroll automatically. You have to put the hose in the filler connector. Seems backward as my old 530 would fill the inboard tank from the aquaroll outside

Last edited Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:44 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 26 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105666 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5