RE: Wish us luck...

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:33 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

There's nothing like a nicely turned thread.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

RE: Wish us luck...

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:15 am
by Randa france | 12.889 Posts

Quote: Pepé Le Pew wrote in post #7
[quote=""|p89381]

A self-tapper through the shoulder of the nearside rear. Unrepairable, so that'll be 150 notes down the drain once we can find a tyre place that's got one. It might take a day or so.

I'm glad I specified a spare - even though it's a spacesaver - when we ordered the car.

Back to the subject of spare wheels. There's much talk about where to keep the Eriba spare wheel and what tools are needed to change it but I wonder how many tow cars don't have a spare wheel hidden away somewhere?

Do you carry one?

It's good to see that Pete is "Old School" and insisted on a spare but it would appear to be optional as lately as 2017. A little bottle of squirty stuff would not be the answer to many types of puncture and I am appalled that a spare wheel is no longer obligatory. Yes, I wouldn't risk my life trying to change a tyre on the busy M5 but at least with one on board the rescue services can get you on your way in 10 minutes.

Our Touran is quite elderly now ( 2010) and didn't come with a spare. I insisted on them providing me with one and it's been a bloody nuisance ever since as there is nowhere to accommodate it apart from loose in the boot (boot? )

The brand new wheel and tyre accompanied us for thousands of miles through Europe until, well past it's 5 year expiry date it came to our rescue.

About 12 noon on a Saturday driving towards Turkey from Greece on the E90, the nearside rear tyre (now on the offside) of the Touran started to delaminate. We could hear a thrashing sound from somewhere underneath the car. With Mrs R in her Pink Hi Viz standing near the triangle about 100 yards back from the car, it was one of the quickest tyre changes on record and that includes the Red Bull F1 pit crew. Fortunately the motorway was not as manic as in the UK.

After the change this left us with the likelihood that we would be entering Turkey with no spare tyre so we decided to look in on Alexandroupoli in the vain hope that there would be a tyre company open on Saturday afternoon. Thanks to several very helpful people we found the place and they had a very small forecourt that would only just accomodate the Touran and the Eriba fully hitched up.

Thirty minutes later we were on the road again.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:45 am | Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 21 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5