Wish us luck...

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:58 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

We're off down to Dorset tomorrow, for a week.

For one reason or another (apparently there's a pandemic or something going on as well) this is the first trip we've managed since a year last August. We got the Troll out of storage a couple of weeks ago and brought it home to clean twenty-odd months of pigeon shit off it and make sure that everything works.

And it was while standing there in the sunshine thinking how nice it looks, all sparkly and clean, that I realised we've forgotten how to do everything.

Everything.

It'll be like starting all over again.

I can't wait to see what's in that big clanking bag full of poles and stuff.

If it all goes wrong, we can sit in our foldy chairs catching the evening rays and drink the gallons of wine we're taking. Could be worse.

Last edited Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:30 am | Scroll up

RE: Wish us luck...

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:07 pm
by Randa france | 12.889 Posts

Nice to get away Pete Anything of interest, keep us posted.
R and A

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:07 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.011 Posts

I've had a number of really great holidays in Dorset and one very disturbing one.

I recall a stay with my parents and sisters at the White Hart Inn at Beaminster. IIRC it was the first time I saw a Morecambe & Wise show on TV, in B&W in the lounge there. The owners were new and had just repatriated from Rhodesia and had a rather fierce Rhodesian Ridgeback dog. One day I heard barking out in the central yard (it was an old coaching inn) and looking down from a landing window I saw my younger sister, alone, with the dog stalking her with hackles raised. Luckily the publican had heard the row and strode out, grabbed the dog's collar and dragged it away. More disturbing still was the gorgeous room attendant who made my bed every day. A young mans dream when she bent over the bed to tuck in the far side.

But none of these things were the disturbing holiday.

Years later, with my own young family, we booked a bungalow on a country estate somewhere in the depths of Dorset. It was a lovely spot, the weather was fabulous and the bungalow excellently fitted out. It was surrounded by fields with the estate mansion about a quarter of a mile away. We were shown in by a nice enough guy who worked for the estate. All was fine, except, except, I had an uneasy feeling about the place. I couldn't place it, I couldn't fathom what it was, but I felt uncomfortable, unsafe somehow.

Over 3 or 4 days the feeling grew stronger, so much so that I broached the subject with Chris, expecting her to tell me to pull myself together and carry on and enjoy our last few days holiday. Surprisingly she said the exact opposite. She too had been having dark forebodings ever since we arrived. There and then we decided to cut the holiday short and drove home that night. IIRC on the way home a Mr Lineker scored a goal in a World Cup somewhere.

I've never been able to rationalise what I felt on that holiday, but the spooky thing was that Chris felt the same too.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:41 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

Hi Pepe

It's always good to hear that you are not alone in this world..........................................Kath and I felt exactly the same this week when we took the cover off our Troll after after nearly 9 months of us not using it.

We ended up laughing at our collective lack of memory & shared brain fog. Age is a terrible thief.

Things are gradually coming back to us, with a few more days left before we travel

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:50 pm
by PooleDweller | 753 Posts

We've just returned after 2 weeks away. The covers went on Oct 2019 and came off about 3 weeks ago. In the two weeks away I think I've had more Eriba kisses than in the previous 4 years - talk about relearning everything!! Keep your head down........

2015 Eriba Triton 430GT pushing a 2011 VW Golf Estate DSG 2L Diesel
Randa france and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:54 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Sorry to hear you are finding it difficult to remember what to do.
I find wheels on the underside and pointy end at the front helps to get things going.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
SOULBLUESMAN68 and Shady Pines like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:32 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #2
Anything of interest, keep us posted.
A sodding puncture near Chipping Sodbury.

A self-tapper through the shoulder of the nearside rear. Unrepairable, so that'll be 150 notes down the drain once we can find a tyre place that's got one. It might take a day or so.

I'm glad I specified a spare - even though it's a spacesaver - when we ordered the car.

I'm also quite glad that we opted to take the scenic route. A flat on the M5 wouldn't have been much fun.

Still, we got here in the end. It's the first time I've had to use a spacesaver. The car didn't like having a skinny little tyre on one corner either. The handling was all to pot and the traction control light was on and off like a Belisha beacon. I now know why they're limited to 50 mph, too...

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:46 am
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

What a bummer. Thanks for doing a test for us though on using a spacsaver.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:26 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

Sodding Chipbury, eh? How appropriate.

I was going to add that at least you've got lovely weather but our end of Dorset is totally overcast so there's little chance of seeing the partial eclipse this morning.

Hope you find the correct tyre. Have a relaxing break and don't forget to give us a report on the campsite conditions.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:27 am
by Randa france | 12.889 Posts

Ouch. Now we know why it's called Chipping Sodbury

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:06 pm
by Stan Doori | 214 Posts

Effing Sodbury...
Aah, memories....

Triton 430 1997 Jubilé
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:14 pm

I lost a self tapper, somewhere round Frampton Cotterell, It was my favourite one too.

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG

Last edited Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:06 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:24 pm
by JefL | 95 Posts

That’s just down the road from me. Any idea where and I’ll go and look for it? I doubt yours is in Pete’s tyre, it’s uphill from here to Chipping Sodbury. I know how attached one can get to these things, I have an M5 nut I’ve become very fond of.
I went to school in Chipping Sodbury and still live just 3 miles away.

Jef
Freelander 2 and Big Ben, the 410
Steamdrivenandy likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:16 am

You couldn't mistake my one, clean, elegant, BZP 1"x No.8 PZ Easydrive with the most gorgeous flange head imaginable.

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:45 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.745 Posts

I like a nice screw.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 21 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5