RE: Dorema Starcamp Quick'N'Easy Low 265

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:00 am
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

Nice shape but not a nice price by the time you put the sides in. I think for a product to function at it's best it needs to be either a canopy or an awning. When you start developing a design from it's original function then the compromises you have to make will at some point have an effect.
If you take the Isabella Shadow as an example it is a simple and excellent sunshade. Push the posts up a little and raise the front into a V and it will even shed water. Start adding sides or a front though and it does not work so well.
There is not really any one awning that does everything effectively and is quick to set up. A full awning comes close as you can take front and sides out, but then you end up with with a longer than preferred set up time. I think the only way forward is as most of use have now found and have awnings or canopies for specific time.
Our Kampa Pop Air is perfect for a long pitch. We also have an old Fiamma Caravanstore on the back for storing bikes etc and extra shade. Our Isabella Shadow and Sunncamp Swift are perfect for a few days covering sunny or drizzly weather.
Do we need something for those holidays that fall between, I'm not sure but I'll keep on looking. If when older we ended up with a Troll we would not need a full size awning and the requirement for a smaller, lighter and easier to put up awning size such as the Dorema would be greater. I think one "senior" forum member on tour has taken this approach.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:25 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:23 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.110 Posts

hi Colin

I think this is somewhat like the quest for the Holy Grail!

As you know we are similar in that we have a number of different awnings/canopies that we use in different circumstances. Every one of them has its strong points but also things we don't like. I am still looking for one that combines all the good points in one package without costing the earth...

Kath is very tolerant as I went through the same process when we were tenters. We ended up with a loft full of all sorts of different size and types of tents, all with their good & bad points. An enormous all singing & dancing Outwell with a front extension which withstood the most violent of storms and never let a drop of water in was our fave but it took most of the day to set up & peg out.

A brilliant Berghaus Airbeam that I could put up on my own in 30 minutes but got unbearably hot from early in the morning.

An American Geodesic walkers tent that became useless when my decrepit hips meant I struggled kneeling up. A variety of pop-ups that I struggled popping down. There is a repeating theme here...

Hence the Holy grail with awnings.

when I get time I think I will be going back to look at the newer Outwell awnings & canopies for campervans in an attempt to get an awning with much better mossie protection for when we can finally get back to the Continent & perhaps even Scotland - see the recent thread from Monoboard on Scottish midges

Onwards and upwards

Mike

Biljul and Keith and Sue like this post!
Last edited Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:05 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:15 pm

Mike,
in that never ending quest I've just sourced a new blow up Vango Elwood for £170. I'm going to see how we get on when away in August with it as a quick pitch awning. If we get on well with it I'll possibly treat it as a replacement to the Sunncamp as it is so light. If not I will sell it on and somebody else can take over the bargain.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

scouteralf and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Last edited Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:16 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:47 pm
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Well I tend to agree with all that Colin. What is it about the our quest for the Holy Grail of awnings ? If only Mr Dormea knew how close he is to making a lot of people very happy !

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:34 pm

An interesting addition Colin - let us know how you get on with it............................

Kath & I just been sitting on the patio with a glass of wine discussing what to take for a four day visit to Walney Island next week to see family. At the moment weather looks OK so I am favouring Isabella Shadow but Kath favours the Popair as strong winds can suddenly come in from the Irish sea.

She can see my logic with exploring Outwell except for the cost. Think the proliferation of ventilation with mossie screens might be a winner..............................

Mike

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:56 pm

I don't think you'll ever get any awning mossie proof Mike. What does Kath think about a wet suit?

Colin

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:10 am

I'll put it to her tomorrow Colin...........................

I'm sure her response will be gently rude...........................she is from Burnley after all

Mike

Last edited Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:11 am | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 50 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12512 topics and 105581 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1