Dometic Pop pro air 365 awning

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:00 am
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Hi all,
I was intrigued to find out if any member has got the 2021 version of the Dometic Pop pro 365 awning for a Troll ? And if anyone has got the front canopy extension. Is it any good ? Other reviews online say it looks like “a bag of spanner’s” when up 😳, but in the pictures it look pretty good to me. I guess its heavy ish to slide on the rail, but made the weight could be reduced by zipping out the front and side panels and storing/fitting them separately. Any experience or advice on this awning would be much appreciated. Thanks, Robbie

Scroll up

RE: Dometic Pop pro air 365 awning

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:53 am
by eribaMotters | 5.298 Posts

Robbie, I cannot comment on the Troll, but I can on the Triton for the 2021 version that was first released for 2019. It is the same model.
- the awning does appear to sit low, but I see this as a design feature and not fault as it works
- if on heavily sloping ground away from the van or if not pitched nice and tight then it can look like a bag of spanners
- I had considered removal of front and side to make pitching easier bur rejected the idea. Air awnings benefit from them being left in as they need the support to give the shape, even for the initial stages of pegging out. It would possibly be a couple of minutes quicker with them out, but then you would spend far more time than what you have saved trying to get them in again before you pegged out.
- I use the front extension. I was dubious of how useful it would be, but as Lowdhams did not charge for it [due to the problems with initial Pop Air in 2017] I gave it a go and it is useful. It does give some sun shade effect and is good at keeping front of awning dry in the rain.
I'm guessing you have seen the attached photos.

june 2019 - 2-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)june 2019 - 3-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)june 2019 - 4-1600.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
GT runner and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:46 pm
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Hi Colin, thanks for all that, really helpful. I hadn’t seen the photo’s. Agree it does look a little “sloppy” Wish they had made it more level on top, like the Bologna. Maybe the Bologna is the awning of all awnings - what do you think ? Thanks, Robbie

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:50 pm

My preferred awning is the Fortex, I've had two of them. Unfortunately they are massive and more than just the two of us need. If you have a family and are on a long pitch they are the best. A very close second would be the Unico, but it is smaller.
If we get a Troll I would consider a Unico along with something light and easy for short stays to supplement the Isabella Shadow.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

GT runner likes this post!
Last edited Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:44 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:03 pm
by JefL | 95 Posts

Like Colin we have a Triton so ours is the smaller 340 model. On a flat pitch the awning goes up fine. It looks slightly odd because it slopes down as a consequence of being universal for both older and newer models (100mm height difference). On sloping pitches some interesting shapes can develop some being definitely bags of spanners. We carry two 4” wooden blocks to slip under the air beams on difficult pitches, this helps get a better shape sometimes. Once up the awning is excellent and performs well in wind. The canopy extension is also well worth having, to extend the covered area, it fits well.

Jef
Freelander 2 and Big Ben, the 410
GT runner and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:24 am
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Thanks for your reply Jef. Don’t suppose you have a photo of your awning with the 4” blocks installed ? Just to give me an idea of how much less slopey it looks. Thanks, Robbie

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:25 am
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Thanks again Colin. I think the Unico re probably as good as it gets.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:07 pm
by JefL | 95 Posts

No I don't I'm afraid.
I don't use them if the pitch is flat so my awning slopes just the same as Colin's. It's designed that way and if put up properly is fine, just a bit slopey. I think you would run into problems if you did, with insufficient fabric in the sides as it is designed to slope, there would be wrinkles everywhere.

The blocks are for if the ground slopes away from the van which would make it even more of a slope, it allows the sides to flatten better. Or, if the slope is side to side a block goes under the downhill air tube end to level up the awning with the van, which is of course, level. They don't make it perfect but but do stop some of the bagginess that develops on slopes. Makes it look a little less like a bag of spanners.
If the slope is too much, we had a pitch last month in Shropshire that sloped 10 inches from front of the van to the back, well, we just abandon the idea of using the Kampa and make do with the Caravanstore.

Jef
Freelander 2 and Big Ben, the 410
Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:36 pm

I also carry some discs to go under the bottom of the air tube, but I think I've only used them once and that was on version one back in 2017. They double up as packing discs for under the corner steadies etc. 120mm diameter and 40mm thick in oak,18mm in plywood.

Colin

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:54 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.110 Posts

Hi Robbie

We have the original 365 on our 2016 540. I think Colin's later model looks much better than our earlier model.

I have at times been very critical of its performance on sloping grass pitches, when it can look worse than a bag of spanners. I tried what Colin & Jef use to go under the poles on undulating grass pitches but it didn't help that much. Now we only use the Kampa when we book a hardstanding.

However the more we use it the more I see its good points.

I have commented in the past on how heavy it can be to put the last few feet into the rail. However it seems to be getting quicker & easier. I always lubricate the rail immediately before putting the kedder cord in. We always now start at the front end of the Troll and ensure that Kath and I are on little stools at the same hieght. We used it on a very windy Walney Island last week in a strong wind & it went up a treat.

In fact it went up far easier than our Sunncamp Vareo in a similar wind strength at Knaresorough a week before. The extra weight of the Kampa proved a real benefit in these circumstances.

The Kampa copes really well in the stronger winds off the Irish Sea that followed. The skirt and my home made wooden wheel wind blocker both also coped really well.

We do like the idea of the canopy and the zip in side sleeping tent as really useful additions. So much so that when our current 365 "dies a death" we would look to replace it with the newer model

MikeT

Shady Pines, GT runner and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:01 am
by GT runner | 291 Posts

Hi Mike, sorry I just noticed your reply. Thanks for all that information. I think I have made my mind up and will go for it. Our Vango Hex air hub is very good, but there is something about the Pop Pro’s full width (rather than a connecting tunnel) that appeals. Also (as you say) the idea of being able to add in an annex is a very nice feature. Hopefully I can upload some pictures soon. Robbie

SOULBLUESMAN68 and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 39 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12515 topics and 105588 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2