RE: Caravan Fridge

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:20 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Quote: wooliew wrote in post #26
Skoda just don’t have the wiring loom to provide a supply to the fridge contacts in the socket.
Have you actually confirmed that pins 9 & 13 (battery charging supply) and pins 10 & 11 (fridge supply) at the towbar socket don't have wires connected to them?

There's a possibility that the socket is fully populated but those 4 wires aren't terminated to anything in the car.

If that's the case, any towbar & electrics installer worth his salt would be able to complete the installation without replacing cable, socket and all.

A call to PF Jones would be worthwhile.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:32 pm
by eribanaut | 1.228 Posts

Our 2017 Skoda Kodiaq has all 13 functioning, when I asked Skoda if all were working they replied no the fridge wouldn't be wired, so I took it to a local fitter who said he would work out how get the wires through, I had only left him for 5 mins when he rang to say they don't know what they are talking about, it's all wired up correctly.
Dave

Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 150 Tdi DSG Troll 552 - 2005
Don't worry about the destination, enjoy the journey.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:00 pm
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #30
...VAG in general do not know what they are doing, or have any master plan regarding towing electrics. Finally, my 2019 Audi A3 had factory fit fully functioning 13 pin electrics that were not in fact fully functioning and needed sorting. As I said they do not know what they are doing.
I guess we were lucky then.

Our 2016 A3 had a retractable factory-fitted hitch and everything worked. The Skoda Karoq that replaced it last November also has a factory hitch, and that all works too.

It's a mystery, sure enough.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:46 am
by wooliew (deleted)

The upgraded fans were a Skoda recommendation, it was my choice whether or not to have them fitted.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:48 am
by wooliew (deleted)

Yes, pins 10 and 11 have no conductors and are not connected. The dealer has also confirmed not connected as it is Skoda policy not to do so.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:36 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.075 Posts

As some Soda Yeti models have a 12V socket in the boot may the wiring is already be there to be used for the fridge ?

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

likes this post!
Last edited Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:37 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:49 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.010 Posts

The 12V socket is/was a standard item on certain spec. Yeti's, the towing preparation kit was always a cost option, so it depends whether the initial buyer or dealership specified it. All Yeti's had GTW on their VIN plate whether they had towing prep. or not. The towing prep. loom ends up with two different connectors tucked away behind trim in the boot but I've no information about what those different connectors actually power. As said, a call to P F Jones may clarify as they'll be dealing with these cars on a daily basis.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:19 am
by wooliew (deleted)

I have had three Skodas, each had 12v socket in the boot, very useful too, particularly for running a cool box because the fridge in the caravan doesn’t operate in transit.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:16 pm
by pwebbhome (deleted)

I don't know if this will help??? I have a 1994 Eriba Familia.
When connected to my Landrover the hitch tilts the fridge over 3 degrees, which is the maximum for the fridge to work, over around 3 degrees and the fridge will not work on any input.
Also there is often a relay in the towing vehicle which only sends 12 volts to the fridge when the voltage is above around 13v, often only achieved when the engine has been running sometime.So far I have not discovered how to observe this while driving. I am wondering wehether to bypass the relay with a switch, has anyone done this?

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:24 pm
by Ray Lawrence | 668 Posts

Don't like the idea of bypass switches at all. Flat batteries come to mind. The concept of only supply power to the fridge when the tow car is up and running and able to provide that extra power is sound and should not be by-passed.......in my view.
The fact that your towing height is less than perfect will have absolutely no bearing on a by pass switch. If the fridge aint level it aint going to work properly no matter how you power it.

As for observing the power supply voltage, I dis this on my Seat Ateca by inserting a 12Vdc meter in the "cigar lighter" whilst driving around. With no caravan the voltage varied from 11.5V to 17.5V thanks to the modern smart alternator. When the caravan is connected, thanks to the properly installed electronics and programming, the voltage was a steady 14V which the fridge and battery could cope with.

2007 Triton 430GT - Seat Ateca 1.4TSI petrol manual
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:07 pm
by Bob (deleted)

Hi. Does anyone have experience of using a continuous 12V supply across pins 9 & 13 to power van electrics please? I am trying to find out if it should work or whether I have a problem with my van's electrics.

Van - 540 Troll 2019
Car 1 - BMW (2016) with factory fitted-tow ball and 13 pin electrics
Car 2 - Volvo (2020) with factory fitted-tow ball and 13 pin electrics

The BMW has continuous 12V supply across pins 9 & 13 (measured with multi-meter) but, when connected to the van (engine off and on) and with the leisure battery disconnected, I see no evidence of the 12V being used by the van. I have not detected 12V from the switched supply across pins 10 & 11.

The Volvo seems to deliver a switched 12V supply (presumably across pins 10 & 11) as it runs the fridge when the engine is on and with the leisure battery disconnected. I checked it was cooling with a thermometer.

So I know the fridge will cool when there is a switched 12 V supply (presumably across pins 10 & 11) but want to get answers to these questions:
1) Should my van be wired to use a continuous 12V supply (across pins 9 & 13) and
2) if yes, which circuits will be supplied?

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:50 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.010 Posts

Quote: Bob wrote in post #41
Hi. Does anyone have experience of using a continuous 12V supply across pins 9 & 13 to power van electrics please? I am trying to find out if it should work or whether I have a problem with my van's electrics.

Van - 540 Troll 2019
Car 1 - BMW (2016) with factory fitted-tow ball and 13 pin electrics
Car 2 - Volvo (2020) with factory fitted-tow ball and 13 pin electrics

The BMW has continuous 12V supply across pins 9 & 13 (measured with multi-meter) but, when connected to the van (engine off and on) and with the leisure battery disconnected, I see no evidence of the 12V being used by the van. I have not detected 12V from the switched supply across pins 10 & 11.

The Volvo seems to deliver a switched 12V supply (presumably across pins 10 & 11) as it runs the fridge when the engine is on and with the leisure battery disconnected. I checked it was cooling with a thermometer.

So I know the fridge will cool when there is a switched 12 V supply (presumably across pins 10 & 11) but want to get answers to these questions:
1) Should my van be wired to use a continuous 12V supply (across pins 9 & 13) and
2) if yes, which circuits will be supplied?

I'm struggling to understand what you're actually trying to do?

There is a habitation relay that shuts off 12V power to the fridge when the car alternator no longer supplies power. This is to protect both the car and the leisure battery from being flattened by the fridge. When pitched your only energy options to chill the fridge are gas or 240V mains electric via hook up. If a normal 12V car or leisure battery was used to power the absorption fridge it would be flattened in hours. Compressor fridges, which can operate on 12V will last a bit longer, generally just under a day before the battery reaches a voltage that's insufficient to drive the fridge. Interior van lights and pumps are powered via the leisure battery. Some TV's can run on 12V but will deplete the battery, so best done with an EHU keeping the battery topped up. Anything that generates heat requires 240V via hook up, or has a gas option.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:37 pm
by Bob (deleted)

Thanks for the input and I apologise if my intentions were not immediately clear.

I am planning a long European tour later in the year with my BMW towing. I want to find a way to keep the fridge chilling whilst I am towing.

I totally understand that I will not be able use the car to power the van fridge when pitched. What I am trying to find out is whether my van can make use of the 12V continuous supply from the car (across pins 9 & 13) when I am towing.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:40 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Hi Bob

For reference, the manual for the Schaudt CSV409 12V distribution unit is saved in the forum's technical help section, here.

The schematic (page 14) shows the 2 inputs from the towcar: permanent 12V (usually referred to as B+), and switched 12V (usually referred to as D+).

The schematic shows input B+ is gated into the CSV's booster circuit by D+ via a relay.
(The booster increases the car's 12V to a steady 14.25V to charge the leisure battery).

So B+ requires the engine running to charge the leisure battery via the booster.

Note that switched 12V D+, de-energises the habitation latching relay to switch off the caravan's 12V habitation consumers (lights etc, but not including the low current supply to keep the fridge running).

So when the engine's running, permanent 12V charges the leisure battery and keeps the fridge 'alive', and switched 12V is supplied to the fridge 12V element to allow cooling.

(The latching relay is also energised/de-energised by operating the caravan's 12V on/off switch).

I've never tried switching on the caravan's 12V when the car is connected and running (why would I?) so I don't know if doing this will switch the habitation consumers back on.

I hope this helps to answer your questions, Bob.

likes this post!
Last edited Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:16 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:49 pm
by Bob (deleted)

John
Most helpful... thank you.

I freely admit that I am on the limit of my understanding but from your answer, and a look at the block diagram, it seems to me that the towing vehicle will only ever charge the leisure battery and energise the fridge controller (cooling) when BOTH the permanent live (9 & 13) and the switched live (10 & 11) are present (in the tow bar electrics) and energised by the towing vehicle (with ignition/engine on and with the alternator allowing current to flow to the van, i.e. not prevented by some "smart" function that prioritises the towing vehicle battery).

So it also seems that my vehicle will not even charge the leisure battery whilst towing (never mind chill the fridge) unless all of the above conditions are met.

Do you concur?

Thinking about the behaviours seen with my Volvo (see earlier post - fridge definitely chilling when connected with engine running) then it seems that my Volvo tow ball has been fitted with the full 13 pin wiring harness. Great...that's 1 of 2 sorted! What's more, the fact that I wasn't able to detect the continuous 12V supply on the Volvo socket is probably due to the car being relatively new, being equipped with a "smart" alternator and me conducting my testing shortly after starting the engine.

Do you concur?

As for my BMW, I think I'll need to get the tow-ball socket opened to see what's inside and go from there.

BobM

Last edited Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:05 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 27 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12538 topics and 105761 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2