RE: Dash Cameras (Again)

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:33 am
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

The dash cam battery is for backing up the user settings on the camera not for running the camera in standalone mode: they're meant to be plugged into something all of the time (car/ mains etc).

When not plugged in the on board battery will allow the camera menus to be used and pictures/videos reviewed but only for a very limited time: it doesnt have capacity for extended autonomous use.

Most cameras turn themselves on when they sense power being applied (what happens when you turn the ignition on) so the battery isnt being used when the ignition is off: it is of course being charged when the ignition is on.

The exception to this on some cameras is "parking mode" when the camera is in a standby mode to detect any vibrations if the car is bumped whilst it is parked. In that case the camera will use onboard battery power (since the ignition is turned off) and will eventually flatten the battery if the car isnt driven for a while.

Parking mode is an option that may be user set in some cases so if your car isnt being used for long periods I'd probably turn that option off.

Regarding formatting, at the end of the day the camera is a computer that has a "disk" which doesnt always "write" correctly and for this reason the SD card needs to be reformatted periodically to clear these errors which otherwise will fill theSD card.

If you do need to use the camera in autonomous mode for extended periods of time without mains/car-ignition power source you can always buy a battery power pack (similar to those used for providing extended mobile phone use) and connect the camera to the powerbank via the USB cable provided with camera - I do this with the rear camera I have in my car which I transfer to the rear window of the caravan when hitched up :)

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:39 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:37 am
by Randa france | 12.862 Posts

Some interesting information. Thanks for that.

As we run our Dash Cam off a cigar set up and it does turn on and off in accordance with the car's power, are you saying that the Dash Cam is dormant save for a very low trickle of built in battery power to keep the time and date accurate?

As I said, because we rarely use the car on long trips and seldom use it more than once a week do you think the battery life will be seriously affected. That's the reason I'm thinking of mains charging it periodically.

While on the subject, does the same thing apply to a plug in Sat Nav as I suspect the reason for supplying me with a mains charger as well as a car charger is two fold.
One for using the Sat Nav away from the car and two, to keep the battery alive. I presume both the Dash Cam and the Sat Nav drawsimilar amounts of current.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:40 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:55 am
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #17
are you saying that the Dash Cam is dormant save for a very low trickle of built in battery power to keep the time and date accurate?

Randa

The onboard battery provides a voltage to the memory in the camera to maintain its user configuration data : the current draw in this case is minimal, so in that sense, yes, the camera is in a dormant state

I would have thought the use of the car once a week should be enough to top the battery up in this case. That said it will do no harm whatsoever to plug it in to the mains once a week as well.

Regarding Sat Navs, yes, their batteries operate in a similar way although the sat nav may have a higher power consumption than the dash cam when turned on (but not massively so I would have thought)

Remember the golden rule for rechargeable batteries (inc car batteries): charged is always better than discharged:)

PS that doesnt mean always keeping a battery on charge - this will vary depending on battery chemistry:)

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:57 am | Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 50 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12512 topics and 105581 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2