Dash Cameras (Again)

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:34 pm
by Randa france | 12.862 Posts

We've had our Dash Cam for nearly four years now but it's been playing up.

1) The camera isn't filling the SD card properly although we have re-formatted it. It will only record the first 5 minute loop before re-recording over it.
2) The current date and time can be set but when the Dash cam is off it reverts back to 2016.
3) I've tried recharging the small internal battery but it doesn't charge although the camera will work off a power supply.

We have not hard wired it into the car but are running it off the cigar lighter socket which is on the ignition circuit. I can't remember but should the small internal battery be big enough to run the time/date when the dash cam is not powered up?

I think it may be time to purchase a new one

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:53 pm | Scroll up

RE: Dash Cameras (Again)

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:47 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.452 Posts

Interested in the answer to this because 3 months ago our dash cam which is in the cigarette lighter type socket in the centre console starting losing all is settings every time the ignition is turned off. I have to reset it every time we start the car up.

Age wise it was installed Christmas 2019 so not that old.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+

Randa france likes this post!
Last edited Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:48 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:03 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

If the date is being lost when the unit is unplugged the onboard battery isnt keeping it up to date: from your description it sounds as if the battery has had it.

The cigar circuit should be providing the power to keep the battery charged.

When its unplugged from the lighter and/or ignition is turned off the onboard battery keeps the clock up to date (and retains all your user settings)

Depending on your dashcam model, its construction and your "handiness" it may be possible to replace the internal battery: here is a random video showing its being done just to give you an idea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIx-yfffezo

scouteralf, Randa france and Julie Grafo like this post!
Last edited Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:14 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:01 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.072 Posts

Regarding the 5 min loop, try a different SD card if you have one. They don't last forever.
Steve.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi
Randa france and Poptop320 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:46 pm

Thanks JC but that is definitely beyond me, looks like a job for the son in law, next time they visit I’ll get him on it and in the meantime I’ll just keep resetting it. It is still recording so that’s the bit that really matters.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:14 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.607 Posts

, My dashcam has also stated playing up, it appears to have stopped recording over the old videos and just erroring SD card full. I think I will take Steve and Debbies advise and try a new SD card.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:49 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:19 am
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Just thinking, has your card been reformatted recently?

Reformatting clears the card and clears any blocking recordings: sometimes the dashcam records files which are non-deletable/ overwriteable unless and until they are specifically deleted or the card is reformatted.

These files will fill up the card making less room for normal recordings.

Randa france and Poptop320 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:51 am

Thanks for everyone's contribution to this thread. It's good to see that we're not the only ones with problems and for the price we paid for the Dash Cam 4 years ago and the price of a new model we've decided it's time to get a new one. The only thing I don't look forward to is trying to hide the charging cable as it winds its way around the joins in the dashboard.

Gone are the days where I could have wired it into a live wire somewhere which was a doddle in the days where cars had more holes in the bulkhead than a colander.

I've learnt a lot from this thread and from reading the advice on the various ads for new Dash Cams and it would appear that the small internal battery takes up to 3 hours to charge from empty to full. All the ads talk about it being an emergency battery and, if it is there to retain the time and date settings then it's little wonder it's dead. Apart from our long trips away with the Eriba we hardly do any mileage at all and most of the time the car is only used once a week and then for a 15 mile round trip to do shopping.(about 30 minutes running). Therefore I assume not enough to keep the internal Battery charged up.

We do use the supplied cigar cable to run it but I've come across the advice that a USB socket wouldn't be powerful enough to keep the camera running and charged? Is that so? I was hoping to tidy up our dash board but looking for a USB plug in instead of the cigar plug in. I suppose the same thing goes for a SatNav?

Having recently given up on ever seeing Lavina again, the sultry lady with the Joanna Lumley voice who sits in our dahboard and operates our built in SatNav, we have just forked out for a new one that sits on the dashboard and also has a cigar lighter plug in (unfortunately she has the voice of Mrs Overall ). Incidently this new one has a 240v charging cable adaptor as well as part of the kit so I tried charging the Dash Cam battery up using that in the comfort of the house. Although it ran the Dash Cam the battery didn't charge even over 4 hours.

By the way, the SatNav did come with a short USB cable. What's that for?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

Last edited Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:01 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:05 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.072 Posts

USB Cable probably for connecting to PC. For settings and archiving recordings.
Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:05 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:13 am

So for the sake of my dash cam battery I need to go on a major road trip, do we think M. Macron will accept that as a viable reason? 🤔

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:47 pm
by campnsnooze | 1.148 Posts

Quote: Julie Grafo wrote in post #10
So for the sake of my dash cam battery I need to go on a major road trip, do we think M. Macron will accept that as a viable reason? 🤔

Well, Cummings did!!!

Julie Grafo, Randa france, Markeriba and Pip1136 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:40 am
by Keith and Sue | 79 Posts

Halford fitted dashcams to our two vehicles and we were very impressed with the service.

Looking at their website, they are doing a Nextbase model for £89, fitted for £124, which seems a no-brainer not to have trailing wires.

Keith

2019 Troll 540GT - Mercedes Vito Bluetec 119 Sport
See our pages at https://takethejourney.blog/
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:43 pm
by Valjoneribafan | 43 Posts

I had the same problem with my dash cam, tried recharging battery without success, went online and found that it is
A known problem and found you tube that shows how to renew battery, bought battery on line £11 and managed to
fit it, very fiddly to solder small wires but it worked fine and dashcam working well.

Randa france and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:33 pm

Yes I saw that but with my nerves and fat fingers .......................................
so I've just bought a new one.
Randa

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:56 pm

Quote: Valjoneribafan wrote in post #13
I had the same problem with my dash cam, tried recharging battery without success, went online and found that it is
a known problem .

I've noticed that most Dash Cams on sale now come with a warning that the internal battery is for emergency use only. Couple with other info I've picked up that the battery needs three hours to charge from empty I'm wondering if it would be prudent for me to remove the camera from the car once a week and charge it at home using the 240v charging adaptor that came with my new Dash Cam? It has the same connection so I can't see any harm, can you?

Also I've read that some Dash Cam manufacturers including the makers of the one i've just bought, recomment that the mini SD card is re-formatted once a month.

Randa

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 17 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12512 topics and 105581 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0