Motorhoming with Merton and Webster

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:51 am
by Randa france | 12.881 Posts

Did anyone catch this program last Friday on Channel 5 8pm? It was the first of 6 episodes.

Only my opinion and I'm sure others will disagree but the way this program was put together inspires normal people to go out there and purchase one of these lumps and cause havoc on the roads

Mr and Mrs Merton .paid over their £300 a day rental and proceeded on their way, bouncing between hedgerows, loosing a wingmirror in the process (many of these have been buried into the side corner on many an Eriba) and causing a jolly old traffic jam. they state that you can go anywhere and park up at your leisure. At one point they were able to park right on the promenade of an east Kent resort and take a stroll and also there was a clear parking area for them outside the Hythe/Dimchurch railway station. Oh, I hear potential owners saying, That's jolly good isn't it. Free parking anywhere you go.

At one point the pair looked over a £600,000 van. This is not camping and although I'm rather envious of that geezer's money I just can't come to terms with how they could possibly call it camping.

What caused this thread is that there's one just along from us that looks just like the £600,000 one. Unless the owner is headlining at the Brecon Jazz festival and this is their regular home, it's a very expensive hobby. (the push bikes dumped outside the door suggest the latter)

sIMG_1710 a.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match

campnsnooze and FINNWOODY like this post!
Last edited Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:54 am | Scroll up

RE: Motorhoming with Merton and Webster

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:38 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.461 Posts

It may be the green eyed monster but that looks bigger than my bungalow. It would probably have cost more.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
campnsnooze and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:46 pm
by FINNWOODY | 137 Posts

I agree Roger.If people need that level of luxury they may as well stay in a posh hotel.Each to his own though.I have nothing against the small small van conversions but even they are very expensive.
Like many others,we were content to go camping in a tent for years.I our case the transport was motorbike or a tandem with a two person tent on the carrier.Now I have given in to the "luxuries" of our Pan Duo.(still feel a twinge of guilt about it and do miss the motorbike touring).

Shady Pines and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:19 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

No, it's not camping. We found the programme amusing, but I wish they'd do more with caravans.We have a monster next to us at the moment. The budget for these mystifies me. People must be spending all their kid's inheritance LOL

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Randa france and FINNWOODY like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:33 pm
by John Cross | 264 Posts

There was one of those "coach campers" on the new forest site we stayed on, it had self leveling jacks, a humongous powered awning and it's own BBQ shelter.

When we were in the USA a few years ago, we visited an RV show room/park, god those things are massive. Full size fridges, 50" TV's x 2, full size washing machine and tumble dryer, king size bed. One even had a full size garage at the rear, you parked car and it lifted it up. Mind, they have the roads and cheaper fuel.

2005 Troll 540 and 1994 LR Discovery 1 Fred and Diane
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:57 am

The one on the Merton show and the one at Brecon had remote controlled garage and ramps at the rear John. By the way program two is on tonight.

What we did notice this year (and not last year), was the incidence of large camper van owners also bringing their regular car with them which they then used for outing and abouting. These came from as far afield as the Midlands of England as well as the south coast of Wales. And we talk about burning fuel and saving the Planet.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
FINNWOODY likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:39 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #6
What we did notice this year (and not last year), was the incidence of large camper van owners also bringing their regular car with them which they then used for outing and abouting. These came from as far afield as the Midlands of England as well as the south coast of Wales. And we talk about burning fuel and saving the Planet.
I've no axe to grind either way - as far as I'm concerned, people can spend their own money any way they like - but you have to bear in mind that they're only using one vehicle at a time.

Sure, they're using much more fuel than you or I would to get where they're going, but once they've got there they're almost certainly using less than we would while tootling about.

What you call their 'regular car' is a tiddler and will likely be much more economical than either your tug or ours.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:59 pm

I agree with what you say Pete but their regular cars are normal size 5 seaters. That why they stand out. There are of course the cart before the horse brigade who tow a tiddler behind their campers.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:28 pm

The one at the new forest site had a large SUV with it and I think it was driven there by the wife.
Our friends have a large camper, the wife always follows in a four seater car

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:48 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.461 Posts

There’s something very sad in the partner following behind. Half the fun of touring is travelling together, spotting different things and talking about them. Doesn’t work if you’re in a different vehicle.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:02 pm

Anyone we know? This was spotted in the first few minutes of tonight's episode of the program.

This year at the C and M C Site Kendal.

IMG_1773.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_1774.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_1775.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:51 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Quote: Randa france wrote in post #11
Anyone we know?
Can't be sure, Roger but he looks a bit like that Merton luvvy off the telly.

Randa france and Eribanut like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:10 am

Last night the duo were at Hardhurst Campsite in the Hope Valley and while interviewing one camper this Eriba was in the back ground.

Does it belong to anyone on here?

Paul Merton.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Last edited Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:11 am | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:10 pm

We were at the Burford site this weekend, apart from four Eribas, there were some very snazzy WWB's there.
A couple pulled up next to us and the guy was milling around for a few minutes.
Then I heard this buzzing noise and watched as the steadies came down on their own, the van was self leveling. After about 5 minutes of buzzing, it went quiet. Then noticed a very large satellite dish raising from the roof. It was like watching Thunderbirds lol.
Looked like a brand new van, so I googled it..£32000 for the basic van, plus all the toys.
It was lovely sitting there and getting many comments on our Troll, but they didn't take a blind bit of notice of the Tracey's in their van

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:48 am
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

A lot of towns are putting in place a lucrative green air tax, older non compliant emission motorhomes and over 3.5tons will also be included making a motor home less desirable. This will no doubt be just the start of including anything else they desire for the future.
Manchester green air tax will start May 2022.

https://cleanairgm.com/light-goods-vehicles/

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!

Last edited Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:48 am | Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 30 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12537 topics and 105756 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2