Puck L alternative wheels

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:37 pm
by Andrew Carter (deleted)

Hi all,

I am hoping to tap into your collective wisdom again! We have a 2004 225GT Puck L and would like to keep it in our garage over winter. Unfortunately the up and over door is just a little to low . We need to reduce the height of our van by approx 70mm. We've considered letting some air out of the tyres, but they would be right down on the rims and I want to avoid damaging the rims and tyres.

Does anyone know if it's possible to fit any other smaller wheels? They are currently 13" wheels, but was wondering if 10" trailer wheels would fit (running fairly flat), just to allow it to roll in and out of the garage?

I think the PCD is 100mm, but am not totally sure - does any know the PCD and hub diameter accurately.

Many thanks.

Andy

Scroll up

RE: Puck L alternative wheels

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:49 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

Andy, I recall somebody using brake discs, but would not like to get my foot in the way of one. You could consider 13" rims without any tyres on ad these would be a lot easier to source and probably smaller diameter than 10" with tyres on.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
mr_underhill likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:01 am
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

I had that problem: I changed the garage door to a higher and wider one:)

I didn't fancy having to change the wheels everytime I wanted to use the van

If thats not an option, and seeing that you have to take the wheels off even to fit disc brakes you could consider a custom made bogey with muliple castors that you lower the van's axle on to perhaps?

Last edited Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:03 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:06 am
by HorsleyA (deleted)

Could you take the wheels off and lower the wheel hubs directly onto Car Wheel Dollys?
This would also allow you to move the caravan in all directions?

Please note that I have not done this so do not know if this would foul any body work etc but might be worth investigating?

Tony. 1994 Eriba Puck
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:38 am

I would be worried about the possible damage to the brake drum. I'm guessing the risk is slight, but if it did happen a major inconvenience.
As regards trolleys or dlollys, I have my woodwork machinery on castor bases. The hard white nylon castors are rated at 150 or 200kg each. They will easily take the load but need fairly level ground to run on. They are also not cheap to buy.
The cheapest alternative would be to make some wooden wheels up out of plywood discs.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:39 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:21 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #5
I would be worried about the possible damage to the brake drum.

I know you were referring to the previous post: when I earlier suggested lowering onto a bogey I also meant one with custom fit cradles to accommodate the axles rather than the brake drums and with sufficient height on them to prevent the drums from grounding, and of course level ground for them to run on:)

As regards trolleys or dlollys, I have my woodwork machinery on castor bases. The hard white nylon castors are rated at 150 or 200kg each. They will easily take the load but need fairly level ground to run on. They are also not cheap to buy.

Regarding the purchase of castors and their cost sometimes one has to bite the bullet and buy whats necessary to do the job - if a job's worth doing etc :)

The cheapest alternative would be to make some wooden wheels up out of plywood discs.

.... if you have woodworking machinery to hand to make them that is:)

Last edited Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:27 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:13 pm

Plywood discs would not need to be accurate.You could cut a couple of pieces of 18mm plywood for each side with a jigsaw to screw together and any cordless drill would be up to the job of making the holes.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:13 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

They'd need to be rounder than these:)
Screenshot 2021-08-18 at 16.10.46.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:43 pm

Thanks all - think 13" rims without tyres may be the best way to go. I don't fancy changing the garage door over as it's a double garage and would be fairly expensive.
I had considered car dolleys on the hubs, but am not sure how the loading works when the wheel bolts aren't in properly.
Thanks for the suggestions. Does anyone have any spare 13" rims they're not using ;)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:40 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

thats probably the best compromise:)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:04 pm

I'd try your local alloy wheel shop where owners have swapped old rims in for something posh. Gumtree also worth a try, eg https://www.gumtree.com/p/wheel-rims-tyr...-100/1406152082

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:15 am
by chezmart | 181 Posts

I used to use 10" trailer wheels for exactly the same reason when we had a Puck L
It will do less damage to your drive or garage floor than just rims

2012 Troll 550 - BMW 220d Cabriolet
Pepé Le Pew likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:30 pm

Thanks for the confirmation - looks like she will winter in the garage after all!

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:12 pm
by chezmart | 181 Posts

I think I've still got the wheels in the loft somewhere if you're interested.
The holes were slightly filed to fit the stud diameter and PCD of the Puck L so should fit yours. Ours was a 2001 vintage.
I'll have a look for them over the weekend and post a picture on here.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:43 pm
by chezmart | 181 Posts

I've just found the wheels out and they are actually 8" trailer wheels so would lower the van even more. They worked perfectly on our Puck L.
I will list them in the classified section for sale.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 31 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0