Nose in

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:21 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

York Rowntree caravan club has always been hit and miss with the nose in or out, this time when I visited they insisted I went nose in. The reason this time was privacy, they dont want the van doors facing each other. I didn't protests time as the site is so busy, however there is no way you could go nose out with an awning as the white pegs are almost touching the hedges..

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

RE: Nose in

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:32 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.120 Posts

Another reason not to book Rowntree, even though they have space when we want to go. We have been told that space is at a premium anyway on the site.

Went backside in in at Meathop Fell couple of weeks ago and no issue for wardens

MikeT

Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:49 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.611 Posts

Rowntree is the only site I get the nose in grief, booking is a nightmare , you have to book 12 months in advance..

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:50 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.323 Posts

Mike, if going to York you could try Naburn Lock a few miles out of the city. Nice pitches and a bus stop right outside the entrance. Free WiFi as well.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:25 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.010 Posts

I always prefer nose in with an Eriba because the lounge is at the back and you can look out at what's happening on site. If nose out then the view tends to be a wall, fence or hedge and the vans either side. Of course having a fixed bed at the back sort of negates that and you really need a motor mover to actually achieve it.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:12 am

Thanks Colin. Will have to look it up.

When we go to York was usually try to get in York Caravan Park & Storage. This is a private site on the Malton bus route into York. It has 8 or 10 big private bathrooms that have a big shower, sink and toilet. However it got a bit pricy and difficult to get a pitch.

We also stayed on Ashfield Touring Park just off the ring road. This was a good site with nice toilets but again I think it can get busy.

As you can guess York is just over an hour from Clitheroe so we go a fair bit outside high season to go to concerts or the Theatre. A top place when it isn't bursting with day trippers.

Mike

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:09 am

You must've been pushing it over Blubberhouses Mike. We lived in Burton Leonard for 15 years and York is 45 minutes away from there. From Clitheroe Google suggests almost two hours, though it's A59 all the way.

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:09 am

Mike, I agree with what you say about York and day trippers. To us it felt like a tourist attraction and not a town.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:59 pm
by Old Rocker | 496 Posts

I never give the wardens the option I tell thm if I am going in nose first or not depending on whether I am putting an awning up their normal response is just make sure you are limed up with marker post

Troll 530, Volvo XC60 2,4 R design

Yesterday is just a memory, tomorrow's never what it's supposed to be

Last edited Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:01 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:26 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Quote: eribaMotters wrote in post #8
Mike, I agree with what you say about York and day trippers. To us it felt like a tourist attraction and not a town.

Colin

(Assuming you dont live in York) this reminded me of a road sign for drivers that I once saw

"Fed up with the traffic?

You are the traffic!"

Last edited Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:38 pm | Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:33 pm

Sad but true. We are all visitors and tourists at some time .
This year we have done about 2,500 miles on trips around England with the van and more odd day trips.
Our eldest studied at York from 2008-11. We used to drive up from Essex and back in one day for drop offs and collections, never having the time to really take in the sites. I was so much looking forward to spending time there this year but sadly the town did not really live up to my dreams. We did enjoy our walk around the walls, but possibly II was blinkered by the number of tourist trinket and sweet shops. Other low points included Whitby with probably the worst fish and chips I've had in a many a year.
We did visit other historical towns that seem to have kept an identity and not been drawn in so much by the trappings of tourists. The historic towns of Durham, Chester and Tewksbury have all impressed. They have been great places to visit but have seem to have retained the feel of working towns. Ludlow and Totnes are gems but unfair to compare these due to scale.

Strange how a thread on parking a van "nose in" can change direction.

Colin

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:00 pm
by Just_Chilin (deleted)

Indeed we are

I tend to keep away from tourist hotspots fullstop: they never live up to expectations and I always feel ripped off.

That said, I visited Arundel Castle, Blenheim Palace and Portsmouth Historic Dockyards over the past year and they were surprisingly pleasant mostly due to the lack of the throngs: the guides told me it was the best time to visit in order to take ones time, browse and ask questions of the staff:)

Theres plenty of the rest of the country to explore and visit without queues and high prices I feel so I guess thats what Ill do next year (Northern England, Scotland and maybe Ireland) until I feel conditions and prices return more to normal in 2023 for some mainlaind Europe trips:)

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:22 am

Andy

You are clearly right . I have a habit of saying many places are just over an hour away when they are not.

You'd be shocked at how many places are just over two hours from Clitheroe though.............................................!

Mike

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Sep 10, 2021 12:36 am

Yes JCh I see the irony of Colin's and my judgements on York.........................

I guess I don't feel like a tourist as we have spent so much time in York over the last 50 years and know it very well and avoid the tourist hot spots......................but that probably makes me just more of a tourist, but perhaps a selective one

But also I had to go to York a lot with work over the years, so does that make me less of one.....................................?

Paradoxically I am a real old grouch with any tourists who dare to come to Clitheroe, blocking up the roads and filling the car parks....................always full of holiday smiles and wearing shorts whatever the weather...............................

Oh well, probably guilty of double standards as well

MikeT

Scroll up

in Anything that's not Eriba-related. Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:31 am

Quote: SOULBLUESMAN68 wrote in post #13
Andy

You are clearly right . I have a habit of saying many places are just over an hour away when they are not.

You'd be shocked at how many places are just over two hours from Clitheroe though.............................................!

Mike

When I first planted up our garden at The Smithy in Burton Leonard in '95 I got some plants from a nursery on the edge of Clitheroe and a lot more from Holden Clough. We've visited the latter several times over the years but I believe the one on the edge of Clitheroe is no more.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 28 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12537 topics and 105755 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0