The first frost of the Autumn in the Ribble Valley

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:12 am
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.123 Posts

I was shocked this morning to draw the curtains back at 8.00 this morning to see the first frost of the Autumn on the top of our 540.

My first thought was how lovely it looked sparkling in the sun...............................

However the second thought was "oh no, the flipping taps"...............................!

We were going away to Buxton this week but illness forced us to cancel so decided we would try to sneak away for a few days to York after our son's wedding at the end of the month, so we left everything as it was.

It's strange in that once you have lost your taps to frost once, and paid a small fortune to have them replaced, it never fully leaves the back of your mind.

However by 5 minutes sanity had returned as it was only a mild frost .......I don't intend draining the water system & putting its winter cover on until after York................but I might just wrap some bubble wrap around both taps to be sure!!!!!

if you are new to Eriba-ing you do need to be aware of how susceptible the taps can be to frost if you don't get all the water out of them for winter storage. The balloon trick always seems to work...........................

MikeT

Scroll up

RE: The first frost of the Autumn in the Ribble Valley

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:59 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.328 Posts

I must admit that at 8:00am I'm still in bed. By 9:30 though when walking into the village I must admit I thought it felt like the first day of Autumn. It is still shorts weather but my finger tips were getting a bit cold.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:08 pm
by Williebraveheart | 351 Posts

I had to scrape ice off the car this morning. Had the same thoughts re the taps. Will drain down this afternoon as cold night is forecast.

Stewart

2019 Troll 535GT Fixed Bed. Mercedes GLA 220d 4Matic
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:11 pm
by PooleDweller | 753 Posts

We still have sun in Poole 🤭🤭😁

2015 Eriba Triton 430GT pushing a 2011 VW Golf Estate DSG 2L Diesel
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:30 pm
by Randa france | 12.889 Posts

Good weather for the time of year in South Wales too. Garden lawns mowed as is the bit of the field we park the Eriba. Hedges and shrubs still need to be cut however.

Eriba washed and covered today before the weather turns.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match
SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:18 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.464 Posts

We’ve had sun here today too (Lincolnshire) but it was blooming cold this morning. Van got cleaned and covered up yesterday, even remembered to drain taps and plug drain pipe to prevent rodent ingress. Sad day, roll on Spring ☹️

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Randa france and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:04 am

I must admit that in anticipation of putting away for winter ours got the water system fully drained down when we left all the valves etc open on the drive home from Scotland. A good outside wash, chamois and Bobby Dazzler followed along with vacuum out, rubber floor mat wash, toilet cassette descale [Kilrock Mega K - fantastic stuff] etc. Safely stored in garage with cover to go on soon, we might get away in November, but I doubt it.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Randa france and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:14 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

I gave the balloons a go last year. Although this was fine, I found it quite difficult to attach the balloon to the kitchen tap. You would need to be careful not to damage the tap in the attempt. Found the best way was to inflate the balloon and use a food bag clip to hold the air in whilst fitting the neck of the balloon to the tap. Then release the clip to let the air out. What I may try this year is to utilize the awning air pump to blow air through the system.
Anyone with a Truma 10L hot water system should also check that the drain valve is working. I found earlier in the year that not only was it leaking a bit, but that it probably never fully emptied the tank.

Truma hot water drain valve refers.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:52 am

Nice ide on the awning pump. If you could get a length of a small bike inner tube I'm guessing this would give a decent fit over tap and on end of pump.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:33 pm
by Julie Grafo | 3.464 Posts

Brilliant idea with the awning pump, why didn’t I think of that. That’s what this Forum is so useful for

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:54 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Just checked out my prototype. This is simply a cone made up from some foam sealing strip which fits over the pump hose on one end and a bit bigger at the other end to go over the kitchen tap. It doesn't need to go far over the tap or it blocks the outlet (ours is a mixer tap), but just holding it in place while you operate the pump seems to work fine.

pump_adapter.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Julie Grafo and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:17 pm

Everyday should be a shorts day Colin, once you have retired .............................whatever the weather

Although on the coldest of days I do get asked sometimes if I used to be a postman - apparently postmen are famed for wearing shorts in all weathers.

Kath just thinks it's strange.......................

Mike

FINNWOODY likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:36 pm

You'll be glad to hear it's shorts as usual. Looking back to my first year of retirement in 2017-18 I realised I only wore trousers three time. Once working on our sons farm in Devon during the winter, at a funeral and finally a wedding where I vacated the reception 1/2 way though and came back in my shorts. Nobody was surprised, in fact they thought I'd have worn them to the church.

Colin

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:19 pm

Good man.......

I always cook and then eat Christmas dinner in my shorts and it used to drive Kath's mum Margaret to distraction....................one year she said I looked scruffy so after cooking the meal in my M & S cargo shorts I told everyone that I was going upstairs to get changed to eat - but came down in a pair of my tailored golf shorts. Amused she was not.....................

We had an interesting relationship but strangely I was the one she asked for just before she passed..................................

Mike

eribaMotters likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:40 am
by Pepé Le Pew | 2.722 Posts

Quote: SOULBLUESMAN68 wrote in post #14
I always cook and then eat Christmas dinner in my shorts... ...so after cooking the meal in my M&S cargo shorts
Is this some kind of local version of boil in the bag?

I'm not sure Mrs Pete would want me to to cook a meal in my shorts. She's only too aware of what was in them beforehand.

Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 17 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12540 topics and 105784 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2