Awning connection leak

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:30 pm
by Easypeasy (deleted)

Last week during a great break, I experienced a couple of periods of overnight torrential rain whilst in Norfolk for the first time with an Isabella North awning erected on my 2021GT550, needless to say, we had water coming down the caravan side onto the table that we had moved into the awning from inside & mounted on the outside bracket. I did not have a Kampa awning rail kerb fitted & will fit one in future as I feel it would help stop most of the leak from the Eriba roof discharge, however, the water was actually entering via the awning rail bead groove as this is only a sliding fit with the bead & no type of kerb would stop the water entering from the short awning drop section that puddled on the awning roof adjacent to the rail. As I said, the rain was torrential, but I think that full waterproofing in this circumstance at the awning/Eriba connection can only be achieved if the awning roof design falls downwards from the rail connection in the form of a short valley gutter that discharges at each end. Of course, the other choice is to duct tape the join from inside, this worked for me as a temporary fix, but today I'm still cleaning the residual adhesive from my Eriba.
Please take note awning manufacturers.

Scroll up

RE: Awning connection leak

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:47 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.308 Posts

I've owned Eribas since 2003 and had many awnings. As others will confirm you will never eliminate rain down the side of the van inside of the awning, but you can reduce it greatly.
All new awnings need to be subjected to rain a few times for proofing no matter what the fabric is. This area around the stitching will swell slightly and the holes become smaller. The awning cord will also expand slightly. You can help things along a little by giving the awning cord a good spraying of fabric proofer.
You can use a gutter trim but please do not buy the Kampa product. The original Eriba is very good but expensive and time consuming to source. The Seals Direct version is an excellent alternative. https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/pdf/ETS1395DR.pdf I have used all three over the years.
Some owners have had some success with Blu Tack or similar at the ends of the awning cord in the track. I have not attempted this.

Colin

When cleaning your gutter of excessive sealant do not attempt to pull it out. Damp the area with a white spirit moistened rag and slice through the sealant with a credit card or blunt knife. Role up what you have cut, like a ball of snot. Repeatedly wipe the area with that dampened rag and when dry treat the area to a polish with some car wax.

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

cruickie likes this post!
Last edited Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:08 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:06 am
by Easypeasy (deleted)

Thanks for the 'heads up' Motters, that saved more unnecessary expense, do you have a Hymer part no. for the pukka Eriba seal, I've never seen it & have searched for this seal but can find no reference of it.
I was just wondering about fitting a second rail just below the existing rail & find/form some kind of independant slide on gutter that catches the water that's by-passing the bead, that then discharges at each end of the awning, although I would possibly invalidate my Eriba warranty using fixings so maybe this would have to be glued-on.

Last edited Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:01 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:29 am
by eribaMotters | 5.308 Posts

I don't have a part number for the genuine Hymer trim. I've accessed my 2020 catalogue but there is no mention of it. When I bought mine it was many years ago from Jandi in Scotland who have now retired. It was initially shipped to them on a plank of wood in a van delivery, then on to me in a large coil so as not to damage the edge. The rubber Seals Direct really is very good and in heavy rain we get little more than a few trickles down the side of the van.
I think an extra midway trim would not really have much effect as the water would be directed down to the vans gutter rail and would soon overwhelm the drain hole and feed backwards.
Some awnings do/did have a waterproof flap on them that hung from the vertical rise part of the awning and draped into the gutter area. This would keep some water away from the vertical rise of the awning and reduce the wicking effect.

Colin

aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:20 pm
by Easypeasy (deleted)

Yes, I've just viewed the Walker awning site, that's a much better design, why on earth didn't Isabella do that? I understand that the extra 'clip-on' rail trim even comes as part of the kit when you purchase the awning.
I'll be winterising the Eriba soon so will will deal with the rain issue next year.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:08 pm
by Terryc | 104 Posts

When we brought our Isabella north new it came with rain gutter trim ,fixed on small bead of Stixall never had a problem

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:54 pm
by 078804 | 1 Post

we are using the ets1395 seal and instead of Blu Tack we are using foam ear plugs. If you roll them up slot them into the rail at each end of the awning connection. they expand and block any water traveling down the connection rail. They slip out easily, better than trying to pick out Blu Tack.

Cheers Steve

scouteralf, Simboc2004 and Poptop320 like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:55 pm
by Simboc2004 | 650 Posts

Excellent tip. Thanks. I will try that, because it is, indeed, tricky to get the blu tack out!

On our first trip out this year it rained fairly hard and we had no water leak in through the join between awning and caravan, so sealing the ends of the strip really does work.

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...

Last edited Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:58 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
4 Members and 16 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105654 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 4