Isabella Shadow Home Designed and Manufactured Accessories.

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:22 pm
by Randa france | 12.870 Posts

Isabella Shadow Home Designed and Manufactured Accessories.

Having spent many years sheltering from the sun and rain under our 300 Shadow we decided this year that a 360 (600mm longer) should just fit our Troll.........and it does.
This year we've spent 3 months sheltering from the intense heat in France and also a few weeks of similar temperatures in Scotland ( yes, Scotland 😂).
About 4 years ago we designed and made a detachable end for the Shadow which has done us proud but it's only now we've decided to make another one for the other end (if needed) but also we've made some trangular cheek pieces for those front corners where the sun can be blinding.
They fit fine and are easily added or removed in a few minutes.

3600 Isabella with home made sides..jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)isabella sides.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

See also:- Isabella ‘Loggia’ 3m Sun Canopy for Eriba Triton 420 (2016 Model) (2)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:24 pm | Scroll up

RE: Isabella Shadow Home Designed and Manufactured Accessories.

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:03 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.308 Posts

Smashing job Roger. Just shows there is always a new solution waiting to be found.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:05 pm
by Captain Calamity | 342 Posts

Roger, I'm pleased you have realised that Scottish weather is not all rain! If you need another reason to head north, Northumberland (land of castles and beaches) is another often overlooked gem. Caravan sites are as cheap as £22 per night and local pubs and seafood shacks are sensible prices. And you are welcome to stop here to recharge the batteries en route.

SOULBLUESMAN68, Randa france and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:21 pm
by SOULBLUESMAN68 | 1.116 Posts

Hi Randa

These look brilliant - you must be really pleased.

We spent nearly 4 weeks touring the lovely South and Mid Wales coast and took the Shadow and our Pop Air. The rain in Swansea was Biblical but the Pop Air had no problem. For our last two nights we took it down and put up the Shadow. The final night it suddenly blew up a hoolie up the channel from the sea at Gowerton and it took the Shadow end pole down despite us double guying. This was the first time in 3 years that this has happened.

We then moved to Freshwater East and only used the Shadow and on a windy wet night it happened again.............................!

We eventually made our way home staying at Ludlow and for the first time we had blaazing temps and not a great pitch orientation and the Shadow didn't work well giving us shade despite hanging a number of large beach towels up. We left a day early as it was too hot.

The we went to watch Lancashire Cricket play at Sedbergh and staying at Meathop near Grange-over-Sands. The weather was windy and wet (the cricket was abandoned .....!) and yet again a pole came down on the Shadow again despite double guying.

This has led to a re-think about how we can use the Shadow - which we have used a lot in wet and cloudy weather. It has brought us back to the issue of adapting some sides for the Shadow so these pictures couldn't have come at a better time. Particularly impressed with the front pieces.

You'll be popular with Kath once more when I show her the photos of your wife's handiwork......good man

Cheers
Mike T

PS It didn't rain all the time in Wales we had 4 or 5 sunny days in the month. When we moved anywhere we seemed to take the rain & wind with us - but we had a great time and were made very welcome everywhere we went.

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:23 pm

Hi Capt

Agree with you about the lovely Northumberland coast and the East coast of Scotland uo to Edinburgh. Beautiful coast and we have had some great weather for Eriba-ing. Ate some great food and drank some excellent local ales.

MikeT

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:42 am

Hi Kevin and Sarah. We did Northumberland two years ago and really enjoyed the area a lot. For anyone planning a trip up north we recommend Northumberland and the Scottish Borders. We were well impressed with that area of Scotland when we stayed there earlier this year.

Mike and Kath. We have more photos of how we arranged the bars and fitted the cheeks if you need them. Wish we had known you were at Gowerton as we could have popped over for a cuppa or something. It's only 30 minutes from us.

R and A

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:41 pm

Hi Randa

We would love to see some more photos. I showed the two to Kath last night an dshe immediately started asking if you had used bars. I couldn't help as my eyesight is ddodgy at the minute but hopefully my first cataract op on Wednesday will improve my right eye.

Didn't know you lived near Gowerton else would have made contact. The locals on the Gower were unbelievably friendly and helpful to us. We had a smashing night at the theatre in Swansea watching a Luther VanDross tribute band - lots of dancing in the aisles. We had a great time on the Welsh coast.

Had a frightening journey through the mountains from Aberystwith to Ludlow. I think evry crazy motorcyclist from the Midlands was on the winding mountain roads that day, determined to get themselves killed.............................

MikeT

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:12 am

Hi Mike and Kath. Glad you enjoyed our part of the World. Sorry for the late reply but somehow I missed the above post. Good job you woke me up with a PM

RIght, some more details regarding the side panel for the Isabella. I goes back further than I though, Prior to October 2016 in fact.

This is the original thread I posted at that time:-

Isabella Shadow Home Made Side

As you can see, we needed to source a suitable telescopic side pole and needed to look no further than our "really useful" Wilko line prop. Someone said recently that they've discontinued them but there is a good range at Amazon but obviously more expensive. Our line prop extended to 2.4 metres so was plenty long enough for a 2.0 metre side.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/washing-line-pr...shing+line+prop

Since that time we replaced the front ring system with a metal curtain ring and keyring ring. The keyring clipped into the line prop hook and the curtain ring hooked over the top of the Isabella side pole. This year we have, we hope, improved it again by using a range of redundant fibreglass poles from our deceased Clairval awning, yet to be trialled.Isabella ‘Loggia’ 3m Sun Canopy for Eriba Triton 420 (2016 Model) (2)

The material we chose, heavy duty weatherproof fabric for outdoor furniture, only comes in about 1.4 metre widths, hence the reason for the two piece, (two coloured if you fancy) side made into a 2.0 metre x 2 metre square.

Mrs R used a left over awning rail piping bead across the top for extra strength as well as two strips of strapping. Also one strip of strapping at the bottom.

Please come back with any further questions or for more details and I'll get the boss to reply.

Randa

SOULBLUESMAN68 likes this post!
Last edited Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:16 am | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:44 am
by Simboc2004 | 650 Posts

The Wilko line prop was still available earlier in the summer; I bought one in the Bury St Edmunds store after Randa recommended one (though, of course, it may be discontinued since!)

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:09 am

Thanks Randa that's really helpful

MikeT

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Wed May 31, 2023 1:43 pm

So, following Colin Motter' request for an update, we erected the sides and corners of the Isabella this morning.

The one thing we were worried about is that since we developed these last year we have changed the Isabella 3 pole by adding extra length to the centre pole so as to create an apex roof shape which works wonderfully well in rain and wind.By doing so however, it means that the side openings on the Shadow are no longer retangular as the roof slopes.

This has had a bit of an effect on the additional sides. Let's not forget that we've had one of the sides for a few years now and it used to work perfectly. The effect it now has is that the sides are now of course, not square to the awning but although they can be altered, we don't think it's worth worrying about.

The corner triangles work a treat and give a huge amount of extra shade or cover, from Sun and/or Rain.

Here are today's pics.

SM IMG_4697.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)SM IMG_4698.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)SM IMG_4699.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

SM IMG_4700.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)SM IMG_4702.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)SM IMG_4703.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

SM IMG_4704.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)SM IMG_4706.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)SM IMG_4707.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

All the additional poles are fibreglass and we have because of the old Clairval Awning we had got caught in the storms of a couple of years ago. It was just a matter of swapping end fixings around a bit.

Randa

eribaMotters, Simboc2004 and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Last edited Wed May 31, 2023 1:46 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:59 pm

Thanks for these Randa - these are really helpful.

I feel embarrassed to say that despite our conversations about this solution we are still nowhere near your level of style and sophistication......................!

We are doing the East Midlands and Norfolk shortly and our solution to the Isabella shade issue hasn't progressed much from last Springs towels. We have adapted a grey & white shower curtain that one of the kids took to Uni a decade ago. We hope with some large pegs and guy ropes it might serve a purpose.

I will attach a photo when we return to share my Heath Robinsonesque DiY..............................

Cheers
Mike

Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:53 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.308 Posts

I have just bagged a 3.6m Shadow in [advertised].as new condition for £110. It comes with extra set of guy ropes and the front cross poles and discs that drop onto the top of the legs so you can have a support rail along the front edge. I plan to use these as end rails along the edges back to the van. Next step will be to get the lovely Mrs eribaMotters to sew up a couple of panels to hang off theses rails. Then I noticed on e-bay you can get 2m x 2m grey tarpaulins with eyelets in corners and each meter along the edges. Available in different weights, a sheet similar to the fabric weight is about £10.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Randa france and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:52 am

It might be a good idea to extend the length of the middle pole Colin as this raises the centre to avoid dragging over the door always assuming that this is also an issue with the "Feeling".
Steve (Inspector Gadget) had a good idea for sides for their Shadow.
They bought off Ebay, some clear plastic sides which had a black eyeletted framework surrounding them. They were a perfect fit.
I'm sure I took a photo of them.
In the words of Arni "I'll be back".
R

eribaMotters, SOULBLUESMAN68 and Simboc2004 like this post!
Last edited Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:01 pm | Scroll up

in Making the most of that expensive pitch Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:16 am

OK. I don't have my photo files with me but I've managed to retrieve it off my camera. It was of the Scottish Meet last year. Sorry, I said they bought them off Facebook where I should have said E bay.

inspector gadget.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Simboc2004 and SOULBLUESMAN68 like this post!
Last edited Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:02 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 36 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12523 topics and 105654 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1