Picking up the Triton next week.

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 11, 2022 12:16 pm
by Digby (deleted)

Getting close now !
Tow hitch fitting tomorrow (PJ Jones) and caravan pick up on the 16th.(Leisure First)
Going to be a nervous drive back from Poole to London.
Note that the Eriba does NOT come with gas bottles (😕) but also realised I don't know what size the Triton 420 requires, what size and whether Propane or Butane ?
Also wanted to get some security for the new baby (yet to be named), so recommendations sought (not for the name thank you 😊)
Seems that a wheel clamp is obvious, but any best buys ? Should it cover all the wheel nuts or am I being over cautious.
What's the opinion about 'tilt alarms'.
Hitch locks ?
Do many of you eriba-folk use covers for protection ? Would that also help with security ??
Am I getting over excited ??

Had one insurance quote of £281 from Cover4caravans which seems quite a lot.
Our VW Cali is only £350 pa, in use everyday and it's worth twice as much as the Eriba, (which is unlikely to cause any damage to another person).

Scroll up

RE: Picking up the Triton next week.

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 11, 2022 1:24 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

Digby, you may be surprised to hear the £281 quote you have is very good. Check if it covers Europe if you have any plans to travel oversees.
Cover4caravans have probably specified two security devices. Like I'd imagine the vast majority of owners we use the genuine Alko hitch lock.
For a wheel clamp something that does cover the studs is a good idea, so have a look at the Nemesis Ultra. We switched to one from a Bulldog Euro a few years ago.
You will get extra off for tilt alarms, trackers etc, but I don't know of many owners who have gone down this route.
The general consensus seems to be Eribas are seldom stolen. Since my ownership began and being on the Eriba forums in 2003 I think I can recall two stolen vans, of which one was on the continent. Also whatever you do is only a deterrent, if they did want it they would find a way of getting it.
Gas bottles are in huge demand. Best to stick with Propane as you van use it all year. Calorlite 6kg was the default setting for most of us, but availability has been an issue with these since before Covid issues. I would look at the Flogas if starting off now.

Colin

ps - I don't think you are getting excited yet as your post was only a dozen or so lines long and you have not mentoned awnings.

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

mr_underhill and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 11, 2022 4:42 pm
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Well, I would be getting very excited too!

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed May 11, 2022 11:34 pm
by Inspecta_Gadget | 264 Posts

Hi Digby,
We got our Troll last May and the first thing I did was have a phantom tracker fitted, complete with tilt/pir alarm.
There are some who argue that they wouldn’t want a stolen van back, but I wouldn’t want to wait 12 months for a replacement, and you can get a lot of repair for the price of a new one.
Security wise, we have alko hitch lock and 2x Nemesis ultra’s; kept at home behind a locked gate with sunken post and 3 security cameras on the house. Everything bar the cameras was agreed with the insurers. Just got our renewal notice at £425 for a troll530. I’ll be calling them to discuss tomorrow but it was £380 last year.
As Colin said, at the end of the day it’s only a deterrent but hopefully they’ll find something easier.
The nemesis locks are quick & easy to fit; we have to fit them whilst away when the van is left unattended.

For the winter, we fitted a cover and had the van ‘hitch inwards’ (pointing away from the gate) foe extra security. It’s the first time we’ve not used our vans over winter so it was a bit strange, but so exciting to uncover”Little Flo” in March.

Enjoy the build-up and collection; it’s not often we have to wait for anything much these days is it?
🙂

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 12, 2022 9:20 am
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

As we are moving and will no longer be able to garage store our Eriba, I bought one of these a couple of months ago for home storage.It is a lot larger, heavier, covers more of the wheel and should be a better deterrent. https://www.towsure.com/fullstop-nemesis-wheel-clamp [Facebook Marketplace bargain as new £55]
I'll continue to use the smaller and far lighter Ultra when away. https://www.towsure.com/fullstop-nemesis-ultra-wheel-clamp

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 12, 2022 11:13 am
by Digby (deleted)

Thanks everyone - all good info.
The tow bar is being fitted right now to our VW Cali.
Ordering the security locks now.
😀😁

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 12, 2022 2:59 pm
by Simboc2004 | 713 Posts

How exciting! i love parcels - and that's a huge one... We have recently bought our third Triton and I have added a Rewire Security DB2 Tracker (£35 for the unit plus £5 a month for "if it moves" info), a standard Alko Hitchcock and a Milenco Wraith wheel lock. Insurance through Cover4Caravans (UK plus 240 days a year EU, Norway, Switzerland) cost me £180 (van value is £13,000).

Thought about tilt switches on corner steadies, but decided it caused more hassle and didn't really save much.

Gas-wise, I prefer Propane (all weather usage), however am running on 7kg Calor because A) I already had one that was 3/4 full, B) I picked up another full one for £25 (new cost over £100 with canister "hire") and C) You can't swap to 6kg Propane at the moment.

Athena, our 2005 Eriba 430GT leading our Volvo V70 astray...
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 12, 2022 3:14 pm
by Digby (deleted)

👍
Thanks

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 37 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1