Baby has arrived weighing in at about 800kg - Mother doing fine

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 16, 2022 6:11 pm
by Digby (deleted)

Well our little Eribetta has arrived. (name may well change once we get to know her better)

We towed her (2016 420 GT) up from Leisure First in Poole this lunchtime, behind our VW California.
Seems very easy to tow, despite the fact that when we arrived home we discovered one of the electric 'movers' was still firmly in contact with one of the wheels ! -
Don't blame us !! this is our very first caravan and we're taking baby steps.

So have spent the last two hours poking around and peering into spaces.
There are quite a few aren't there.

Can't figure the electrics though. Plugged the mains cable in and now we have power to the 13 amp outlets (I presume it is real mains and not something coming through an inverter - very unlikely).
Switched the fridge to mains and turned on - I hope ... well, the light comes on when I open the door but there's no sign of any iciness yet. - I know absorption fridges are slow to get going but hoped to feel a little shiver by now.

The wall lights all seem to be touch sensitive and I believe are all reliant upon the 12V circuitry but so far have not managed to get the circular ceiling lights to come on.

There is no central electrical control panel as I would have expected. - Is this normal ?
Something that gives the status of all that's happening electrically and give the charging state of the leisure battery etc.
I like an LCD display and twinkly lights and buttons - gives a guy the feeling he's in control of his environment.

Also there don't seem to be any 12V outlets ? Nor USB
If in the future I buy a 12V TV for rainy evenings - where do I plug it in ?
Charge my phone whilst on leisure battery power ??
Is there a 12v-240v inverter somewhere to supply my computer power block ?

Remember we are new to Eribas and caravanning too.
We have grown up with tents and VW campervans.
Our present California has loads of power points ... not a day goes by without discovering a new 12 V or USB point hiding away.
(And there is an inverter too that supplies a few watts of 240V)
Lots of knobs under the sink for gas control - no doubt these will become self explanatory after a while.

But Eribetta is at home now and we will love her I know, even if I do have to take a drill to her and install some essential electrics..
No sudden or rash moves yet on the DIY front though.
We have a trip planned to Northumberland at the end of the month and that will be a good shakedown/maiden voyage.

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 Eribetta.jpg 

Simboc2004, John Cross and Randa france like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Baby has arrived weighing in at about 800kg - Mother doing fine

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 16, 2022 6:24 pm
by Simboc2004 | 713 Posts

Looks beautiful! Lucky you.
Not sure about USB/inverters in newer Eribas, however I think it's unlikely (unless an option?) - definitely real 240V though! I'm just adding a combined USB sockets/charge status module to my Triton. The fridge will take a while to chill down; I usually find it takes overnight to really get going, then is awesome. Our 2005 Triton has mains sockets in some very strange places. I seemed to remember my first two Tritons having an external 240V socket where the table attaches to the outside of the van, but our new doesn't seem to.
Enjoy the steep learning curve! And I hope you haven't burned out the motor mover, or damaged the tyre, by driving with it connected...

Athena, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
FINNWOODY and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 16, 2022 7:17 pm
by John Cross | 267 Posts

Love the combo, it actually makes the Transporter look smaller than I would have thought, I suppose the newer Eriba's are taller now.
That wasn't you at the Burford caravan site a few weeks ago?

2005 Troll 540 and 1994 LR Discovery 1 Fred and Diane
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon May 16, 2022 7:51 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.018 Posts

An inverter is unlikely.
When connected to a hook up the 240V serves the 3 pin plugs, the fridge, the space heater if fitted with electric element, the hot water boiler if fitted and the battery charger. The 12V battery runs the lights and pumps. You may find 12V sockets on the lights somewhere but 2016 may be too early for USB as standard. BTW standard Touring range spec. vans don't have a battery or charger, they are a cost option. There is no central display panel.
The under sink gas taps are for the hob, space heater and fridge and need to be switched to allow gas to those appliances and are there to ensure you can isolate an item if it develops a leak.
The fridge controls, display and interior light run on 12V from the battery, whatever form of energy is powering the chilling. This is so those facilities work even if the chilling is powered by gas. Also be aware that the fridge only chills on 12V when connected to a tow vehicle with its engine running. The power comes directly from the tow vehicle alternator. It is a totally separate circuit to the 12V leisure battery system. So if you have no hook up the only way to power the fridge is by gas,

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 17, 2022 6:40 am
by Digby (deleted)

Hi John
Well the transporter/ California is lower than the Eriba and definitely shorter and about 16 cms slimmer !
No, wasn't us at Burford

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 17, 2022 6:43 am
by Digby (deleted)

Steamdriveandy
Some useful info there - thanks
Finally got the ceiling lights working - apparently they are all touch sensitive ! Who knew !! Very 21st Century

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 17, 2022 6:59 am
by Digby (deleted)

Simboc2004
She certainly is pretty.
I'm a sucker for a pretty face.
I'm going out to check on the fridge after my coffee, it should have chilled down a bit overnight.
Yes noted some odd positioning of the 13 amp sockets ... on the top of the wardrobe ? Hmm.
Think I will have to install some 12v outlets though; seems strange that there isn't even a circular cigarette lighter connection which seems to be a common 12V supply point.
What did you get as the USB sockets / charge status module. That may well be something I need to consider.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 17, 2022 7:41 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Just curious because I know nothing..... why do you need 12V sockets? We just plus normal plugs in?

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 17, 2022 9:11 am
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

What a nice looking combination. You must be very pleased.
Glad to hear you've mastered the "touch insensitive" lights. I've found sometimes you need to stroke your had across them to operate.
I doubt you will need 12v outputs. I know in owning an Eriba since 2003 we have not needed one despite having them in earlier vans.
If you need to get any electrical bits then try https://clearcutconversions.co.uk/produc...s-and-switches/ They really are very helpful and will do a mix and match of parts to your needs.
You may find you think you have the fridge on as the internal light is operating. Do not be fooled. Make sure the power source dial is set correctly.
Like many others we turn the fridge onto mains the day before we depart so it can get down to temperature. On the move the 12v will hold this temp OK, especially if you leave a frozen bottle of water in the door, or a meal you have made for your first night.We have done an 8pm departure arriving on site at 2pm next day to find our meal still frozen.
Once on site the fridge may take a day to settle and cool as you expect/hope. The later fridges seem to work well in temps well into the 30's if you can keep that side of the van shaded or not in an enclosed awning.As with other 3 way they cool better on gas, but why use this if on a hook-up.
That socket on top of the wardrobe is useful for toothbrush charger base or radio as the reception is better higher up. Sometimes ours on the front table area has struggled with reception.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 17, 2022 10:05 am
by Poptop320 | 2.618 Posts

Quote: Digby wrote in post #6
Steamdriveandy
Some useful info there - thanks Finally got the ceiling lights working - apparently they are all touch sensitive ! Who knew !! Very 21st Century

The touch lights can be a bit temperamental, anybody outside looking in will think you have a got a boxing speed ball when you try and switch them on and off...

Speed ball.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Simboc2004 and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 17, 2022 10:06 am
by Simboc2004 | 713 Posts

re the USB sockets/charge status module.

There is a recent thread on here about it on here somewhere, although I had already bought a similar unit. Here's a screenshot of the one I bought. Actually, I have now realised I don't really need a hard-wired battery status monitor as my tracker gives me that info via my phone/computer, which is very handy, although who doesn't like a nice bit of blue LED tech somewhere onboard. Will probably site it near my 12v master switch beneath the bed, because the green fridge on lamp is already blinding enough at night!

Attached pictures:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
 Screenshot 2022-05-17 at 10.02.28.png 

Athena, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 17, 2022 10:15 am
by Digby (deleted)

Thanks eribaMotters some good points there.
I still find the lack of extra 12v supply points odd and would definitely like to add a couple and possibly a battery status panel. Hadn't realised that a leisure battery was NOT a standard item, so that probably explains the lack of status monitor.
The touch "insensitive" lights are tricky little things aren't they. No doubt I'll get the hang of them.
The fridge was on overnight and has got down to a nice chilly temperature now.
Looking forward to a chilled drink 😊

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 17, 2022 10:16 am
by Digby (deleted)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 17, 2022 10:19 am
by Digby (deleted)

12 V outlets power a lot of camping accessories ; like phone chargers and TVs etc

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue May 17, 2022 10:25 am
by Digby (deleted)

That looks a neat little unit you show there Simboc2004
I wonder if it's accurate as a battery status monitor.
I remember (vaguely) on my last VW campervan, installing a ZIG unit which was a mission; complicated and quite pricey.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 104 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0