Eriba On board batteries and power units.

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 26, 2022 12:18 pm
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

During a conversation with the Eribanauts last night the above subject came up. They don't have a battery in their Troll as they don't have a mover and always rely on EHU.

Our Troll had a battery and power unit (not a BIP) fitted sometime after new, when it arrived in the UK after being owned by a Dutch family. All is working well but like the Nauts we don't have a mover and always rely on EHU.

Can anyone tell me please, if I was to remove the battery, would the EHU still work? I feel it's be a job too far to remove the power unit as well but it would be useful to know how the van could be reverted back to its original. I'm of course thinking of weight and additional space although neither is proving to be an issue.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

RE: Eriba On board batteries and power units.

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 26, 2022 1:02 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

What make and model is your power unit/charger, Roger?

Some advise not to be used without a battery connected, eg the Schaudt 409 for one.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 26, 2022 1:08 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.018 Posts

I've heard that some vans 12V runs without a battery installed and some do not, but I'm wondering if there's an easy way to identify which way a particular set up operates, or is just on a suck it and see basis.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG

Last edited Thu May 26, 2022 1:29 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 26, 2022 1:36 pm

Thanks both.
Coo it's dusty under there but here's an image of the power unit/charger John. It must be British because of the way they spell "Centre" but I'm guessing it was taken out of an old British van. It's too tall for the locker so it was tilted to put it in. It's been there since before we purchased the van in 2010 and I've had cause to change the battery once in that time.

As I said, it isn't an issue and I'm very much a "leave well enough alone" bloke but it would be interesting to know.

S IMG_3075.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)S IMG_3076.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 26, 2022 2:09 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

The Power Centre II, made by BCA (Pennine Leisure), is fitted with a 13.6V charger rated at a measly 6 Amps - without a battery connected it would struggle supplying internal lights, pump etc.

The internal charger can be replaced with a better 20 Amp unit (also from Pennine Leisure) which you could use without the battery.

Poptop320, Randa france and Sportique like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu May 26, 2022 4:23 pm

Thanks John
Randa

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:46 am
by Captain Carbunkle (deleted)

I would be a bit wary about using a battery charger as a power supply. In my experience the output of a charger is not very smooth without a battery attached. It would be fine for lights and pumps, but could cause issues with a radio or tv.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:00 pm
by Neil Speirs (deleted)

My 2014 Troll will only run it's 12v system when connected to either the towing vehicle or via 240 mains.

It has this Schaudt CSV300 240/12v unit fitted & by what I can find out online it's not suitable for using with a leisure battery :-(

So I'm going down the road of lightweight solar panel on pop top to Mppt unit & leisure battery. This will hopefully allow me to fit a motor mover and also set up a separate 12v system for off grid trips.

Life's never easy.....

Image.ashx.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 93 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2