Importing a new caravan from Europe, post Brexit.

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:07 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

Does anybody have an idea on what the legal and financial rules are?

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Scroll up

RE: Importing a new caravan from Europe, post Brexit.

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:36 pm
by cabbie37 | 648 Posts

I don't know whether you are a Facebook user, Colin, but I got some speedy advice regarding alcohol import and duty free post-Brexit by asking the question here: https://www.facebook.com/HMRC

hth?

Hugh

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:00 pm

Thanks, I'll try and get my head around it all.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:53 pm
by Poptop320 | 2.618 Posts

Something to consider with an imported Eriba caravan is that they dont have the flame retardant UK stickers on the cushions, as discussed before your warranty may be compromised due to dealership service issues.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:37 pm

I think I would have to forgo the warranty as it would not be transferable to the UK. You cannot even get a warranty job done on a UK van if if it not returned to the selling dealer, without jumping through hoops and a lot of luck, so this is not as big an issue as initially thought.
I need to weigh up the cost advantage to see if it is worth doing, but in order to do so I need to know about tax, import etc.

Colin

Poptop320 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:27 am
by cabbie37 | 648 Posts

Do you know Dom Fox (personally), perhaps. Although not new vans, he does import all his, so may have some insight to share? I also wonder (not knowing what model you are considering), whether a 'nearly new' model from a Dutch dealer might give some advantage over a brand new model. Just thinking outside the box, as it were...

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:27 am
by Poptop320 | 2.618 Posts

I can remember a few years ago someone bought an Eriba from a Dutch dealer but he also managed to specify a UK spec van.

When I go on holiday I like to pop my top!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:34 am
by Bryn | 998 Posts

Most Euro caravans are registered when bought and have their own log book and registration number, when we brought ours when living in France and brought it back to the UK we just notified the French via "one of their forms" it was now in the UK and brought it back ?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:42 am

Back in 2007 I bought a new factory build Troll from Belgium. It was not supposed to be possible but I ended up with a UK spec van. At that time vat was similar so I just collected the van, put my UK plates on and drove home, having earlier insured the vehicle in the UK.
I have dealt with Dom a few times so I had considered giving him a call.
All of this has been brought on by thinking of something a little larger than our Triton. I first thought Troll, then Feeling as the build quality is better and prices far lower. A curve ball has now been thrown as I do not like wobbly white vans but do like the smaller Hobby and Knaus. In dealers I have seen new vans, just over Troll size with similar weights and higher specifications for Euro 23 to 24K, so £20K. Used vans as in the UK are in short supply.
This has got me thinking, but I take a long time to work things out.

Colin

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:24 am
by cabbie37 | 648 Posts

Having read you post, Colin, I can see how you are thinking..

Just going back to my suggestion of a second hand van, this is the sort of thing I was thinking about.

https://www.marktplaats.nl/v/caravans-en...-mover-voortent

I wonder whether as it *isn't* new, whether there might be some advantage in the tax situation.. Anyway, bets of luck in your search. Lots to think about...

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:34 am
by Bathchap | 51 Posts

I may be a little off the mark here but my approach would be to put English plates on a new one and drive it home. The chances of customs working out you have a new pride and joy are infinitesimally small and any evasion of duty would surely be caught up in the fact that the UK have further delayed any post Brexit checks at the border. Any duty or VAT you save is peanuts in comparison to avoidance in the City everyday. Go on spoil yourself but accept that you would have to some alterations such as the sockets and rear lights.

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:45 am
by Simboc2004 | 713 Posts

I personally imported a Dutch spec Eriba a few years ago and just drove it home with no questions asked (despite number plate offset on the wrong side, something i changed later). That was pre Brexit, however I seriously considered doing it again this year. I would travel out Eurotunnel and come back by ferry to avoid potential flagging up by the crossing operator. If you get hold of the new van's chassis number and details before travelling, then it's no real issue to draw up a document of ownership with your UK home address on it...

Athena, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 18 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0