Damper - draw tube lubrication

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:54 pm
by rambling robin (deleted)

The other day I heard an odd knock when slowing down for a one lane bridge, followed by a bit of a thump as I pulled away. It didn't happen again on the journey, but was puzzled,
Pulling back the draw bar gaiter - which is in excellent condition for a 2004 van - the visible bit of the drawbar is absolutely dry with a brighter finish showing where it has been acting. I cannot push it in by hand and get the feeling that the PD 'Service' did not include greasing the damper.
The question is - should the bar under the gaiter be dry or would you expect it to show some grease?
If it is as dry as the lumps of grease on the steadies I'll probably have to flush out the nipples before trying to inject some new grease.

Rather genteel 2004 Troll 540GT called Matilda pushing a couple of old fogies.
Scroll up

RE: Damper - draw tube lubrication

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:30 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

Just checked mine. It is smooth and shiney with a thin grease/oil layer. If you consider it is a piston in a tube the most that will show on the surface would be a thin film of lubricant.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Ray Lawrence and like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:27 pm
by Randa france | 13.049 Posts

We grease ours regularly.
Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:32 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

I have never applied grease directly in the area under the bellows but I do via the
grease nipple on the top of the drawbar under the little plastic cap.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

likes this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
5 Members and 87 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12660 topics and 106594 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 5