Powering12v TV

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:35 pm
by Hebridean (deleted)

So I’ve bought a 12v tv and would like to view it above the fridge in my Familia 320. How do I go about creating a power socket for it from the 12v system? Can I break into the wiring powering the exterior light and what type of connector would be suitable. Thanks

Scroll up

RE: Powering12v TV

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:08 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.018 Posts

Touring range lighting systems have altered over the years so without knowing the Model Year involved it's difficult to say. However a lot of Touring range vans have 12V sockets built into their light fittings and your Familia may have one within easy reach.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:04 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

This might help:- 2017 Triton 430 - extras and modifications
As above you may find your van has a a jack already, possibly in the end of one of the over hob lights. You may be able to break into the 12v circuit inside a corner top locker or do as I did and run a fused supply off the battery.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:39 am
by Hebridean (deleted)

Many thanks for the replies and from what I can find on the net it seems that the cigarette lighter type sockets are the go to for 12v. So I’d attach a male cigarette end to the tv power supply and plug in. Am I right in thinking this, and I would break into an existing 12v cable run using using a chocolate box splitter.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:55 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.018 Posts

HBN
You've still not said what Model Year van you have, but it's v likely you already have 12V sockets as standard, built into the ends of existing light fittings, so there should be no need to do any wire splitting with Milk Tray, Black Magic or even a box of Weekend .

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG
likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:06 am
by Hebridean (deleted)

Haha Andy, it’s a 2012 Familia 320. Unfortunately I’m at work in the North Sea at the moment and cannot check, so I’m gathering info for when I get home to address it, but if parts are needed getting ahead of the game is useful given where I live.
The previous owner fitted three touch sensitive LED lights. One in each corner of the seating area and another above the fridge by the door. Additionally he fitted a small usb circular charging power point which only works when the exterior light is on! So there’s possibly issues needing corrected to boot.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:21 am
by Sportique | 332 Posts

Hmm - take care - exterior (awning) lights are usually MAINS powered - this is to ensure they can only come on when the caravan is not being towed. I suspect that is also why the after-fit USB charger only works when the van is hooked up to the mains.

Make sure you get your 12v from a 12v source.

HTH

Dave

Dave & Taka
Cupra Formentor PHEV closely linked to a 1994 Pan Duo T
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:18 am
by Steve and Debbie | 1.086 Posts

The awning light does normally ony work when on hookup but it is still 12v ! It is disabled by the Power Supply Unit when there is no mains detected.

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:19 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:33 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.797 Posts

I think I'm right in saying that the 12v cigar lighter type sockets fitted in Eribas are of the Continental type and are a different diameter than the standard UK ones. Some 12v plugs have a sliding adapter sleeve that allow them to be used on either type of socket.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:12 pm
by Digby (deleted)

I had the same problem in my Triton 420 (2016) - no 12v sockets at all.
I bought one of these multi outlet panels from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07V...00?ie=UTF8&th=1
and a pack of these
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B082...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I wanted several 12V outputs for TV and antenna amplifier
If you get both those items you can mix and match your outputs - everything fits.
I wired mine (via a separate 5amp inline fuse) into the consumer unit 12V outputs.
Not hard to do ... just take it slowly and it will become apparent.
Watch out for the odd caravan wiring colour protocols - check which is positive / negative with a meter. (positive goes to the central connector in the 12 V sockets)

Last edited Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:13 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:15 pm
by Digby (deleted)

I also added a couple of 12V sockets by the sleeping area ... handy charging points

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 45 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0