Gas struts for beds

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:04 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Has anyone successfully swapped the click stays on a lifting bed with gas struts? We have a Triton with twin long beds which are quite awkward to get both sides to click into place and equally difficult to unclick to return to the closed position. Gas struts would probably be easier. The current stays have the lower pivot near the front and the upper attached half way back on the seat base. For gas struts, the normal fitting is to have the lower pivot at the back. This would be difficult to fit due to the battery on one side (ensuring that you can still get the battery out). A direct replacement should hold the seat open ok but wouldn't be any easier to lift. On the other hand it should be easier to close.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

RE: Gas struts for beds

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:32 pm
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Forgive me for having a little giggle about things rising in the night....gas struts.....

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:04 pm
by Morphy | 972 Posts

Yes I have fit gas struts to my Troll also heavy duty runners to the sides so the bed slides out really easy no pressure required at all. The gas struts lift the beds and hold beds up. To be honest the price of these Eriba's this should be done in the factory.

Adrian has a Triton I think and he has fit the gas struts as well!
Morphy

New Troll 540GT on the way Silver Skoda Octavia Scout residing in sunny Lancashire.

Last edited Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:10 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:35 pm
by rs540 | 261 Posts
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:40 pm
by Morphy | 972 Posts

Thats the one I followed thank you rs540 Morphy

New Troll 540GT on the way Silver Skoda Octavia Scout residing in sunny Lancashire.
rs540 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:22 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Thanks Morphy. Will have a go at this and see how it goes.
Have your beds ever raised themselves when going over bumps for instance? (Steady Islay...) I think with the position of the existing stays this shouldn't be a problem, unless is was a very big bump.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:17 pm
by rs540 | 261 Posts

Quote: Stevejoyce wrote in post #6
Have your beds ever raised themselves when going over bumps for instance?

Never, even after a trip down the notorious Cromer C&CC entrance road...

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:53 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

I've ordered my parts now so hopefully it will go well.

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:55 am
by Morphy | 972 Posts

As far as beds raising one did but I just let a fraction more gas out the struts. I can not stress how much better the struts and runners make good luck. a bit of a fiddle but as said well worth it.Morphy

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:58 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Thanks rs540 and Morphy. I have had a go at fitting gas struts on one side of our Eriba and looking good so far.
I purchased some 200 Newton generic struts with 8mm eyes. These attach to the original fixings. The ones I got were 400mm long with a 16mm travel and found by moving the upper fixing along by one screw hole they fitted fine. With one strut fitted it struggles to lift the bed with the cushions on so 200 Newtons seems to be about right.

As these will exert quite a sideways force on the front panel I reinforced the section where the right hand fitting goes with an L bracket and quite a long screw. This now feels a lot more solid than before. Also needed to increase the cut out on one of the panels on the right side to clear the strut body when closed.

On the left hand side the screws were already working loose especially one which was really poorly fitted so switched these for screw in thread inserts and panel connecting bolts which provide a much better resistance to the gas struts. I may also put some of these in the floor for the battery clamps which are also working loose.

I am also following rs540's original post and adding sliding runners to the beds, so this first fitting of the struts was just to work out the correct placement.

Panel reinforcement
IMGP4942.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
Upper mount moved along one screw hole.
IMGP4943.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
better fixings for the left hand lower mount
IMGP4944.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)
thread insert and panel mount bolt
IMGP4945.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

rs540 and Morphy like this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:29 pm
by Morphy | 972 Posts

Yes I also fit the runners well worth it Morphy

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:59 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

All done now. I found quite a few loose screws holding various brackets in place. Any in the MDF panels I have replaced with a thread insert which hold much better in this material. Also found that all of the bolts holding the plywood end panels to the beds were loose, one missing altogether. Fitted spring washers once I reassembled.

Morphy and rs540 like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 71 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1