Columbus zelte awning puzzle

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:45 pm
by louisangelini (deleted)

ac12a9c991883904268e8a59486a9c81.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)Hi. We bought an eriba touring 3 Berth 1989. It came with a great looking awning. An old columbus zelte. No instructions unfortunately.
Would anyone have any pictures to show how this is attached on the caravan side please? Above the rail that the awning slides into. I'm guessing a pic of another similar awning might steer me in the right direction.
See the attached pic. Fairly sure this is the exact one we have.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:50 pm | Scroll up

RE: Columbus zelte awning puzzle

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:08 am
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

Great looking awning Loiuse. By the shape, (a chalet roof) I'm guessing it will be similar to the more recent Soplair or Clairval Awning.

Here's a link to the Soplair instrustions :- g8p2772-Spolair-Instructions-psd.html

And some sketches of the Clairval build:- g8p2770-Clairval-Instructions-drg-A-psd.html and g8p2771-Clairval-Instructions-drg-B-psd.html

First question is does your Eriba have something like these screwed into your awning rail?

https://files.homepagemodules.de/b614104...n2_DWLrFGIR.jpg

Can you perhaps give us a photo of your Eriba and also some of the majot poles in the awning bag?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Last edited Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:09 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:52 pm

IMG_20220711_145054.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_20220711_145048.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_20220711_145001.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)IMG_20220711_144953.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:54 pm

Hi. Thanks for answering.
my rail has 2 connections on either side. It does not have one in the middle

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:46 pm

Well I would say that the two poles in pic one with the cup hook ends fit into the two ends and form the eaves rails that project out from the side of the van.

Do any of the poles have clamps on them perhaps tightened with wing nuts?

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:55 pm

The two poles in the right hand picture. One looks longer than the other but cannot see if it's adjustable. The other one shows an adjustment screw and a foot. Do you have two of these?

The longest one of them at least has a pin bar sticking out of the top ( is there one on the other as well?) which suggests it goes through an eaves/apex hole in the canvas and are front vertical corner poles and a front centre pole.. Therefore the pivoted parts on these poles (with black or grey insulation tape on them) could be front gable pole connections.

Randa

Last edited Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:57 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:08 pm

roof bars.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:05 pm

Last edited Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:06 pm | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:23 pm

That definitely looks similar. Do you have a picture of where it meets the caravan please?
I'm wondering do I need to get another connector/metal hoop for my caravan.
How is the center of the roof held up near the caravan? The pitched bit. I can see there's a hole in the awning for the connector which fits into this hole. I'm just wondering what holds up the connector.
Thanks for repsonding

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:26 pm

That looks correct. But at the caravan side I'm not sure if I have a vertical pole that goes all the way to the ground.
I have 3 poles with plastic feet on them which I think are for the side of the awning furthest away from the caravan. I'm just a bit perplexed as to how the roof is held up near the caravan.

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:33 pm

Hi. I knew I should have taken a picture of all the poles. I will tomorrow.
I have 3 poles with plastic feet on them which are adjustable. These also have a large vertical pin at the top of them which fits into the awning roof. These 3 poles would support the awning at the side furthest away from the caravan(as far as I can tell).
Where I'm totally confused is the other side. I can slide the poles with 2 hooks into the rail connectors and I have 2 poles that have a plastic hole connector which I think the hooks also go into. So the hooks go into the rail connectors and the poles with the holes at same time.
If I can figure out the caravan side of the awning I think the rest will be easy.
Thanks

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:37 am

A friend of mine managed to find another Columbus awning for sale. Not a zelte but it is the same basically.
So going on those pics I was able to figure out that the flattened piece of tubing fits into the awning rail in the middle. It doesn't click into anything it just sits in it.

Inkedimage001-101.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)InkedIMG_20220712_2016591.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I've highlighted them in these pictures. On either side there's the poles with hooks on them that connect to the rails connectors. So that's the 3 mount points on the caravan side.
Now I just have to put it up!!
Thanks

Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:44 am

Yes, you're right about the flattened end but some folk use a "Footmans Loop" bracket in the middle to stop the tube from possibly slipping.

Awning rail fixings

Randa

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 74 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1