Booster 1214-8 help and is it safe to just run on 240v all the time

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:49 pm
by adam stait (deleted)

Apologies if posted in wrong place

we have just got a 2007 puck and due to a lose wire on the 1214-8 booster when i connected the battery it shorted out the Booster circuit board
so now i have no power on the 12v system unless the van is on mains .

i have a replacement being sent and hopefully it will fix the problem my question is can you just run the van on mains using the built in transformer
its just powering led lights and water pump or will it kill off the transformer as i was always told on my swift vans not to do this .

As if swapping the booster does not fix the no 12v then i have also damaged the main BIP unit so due to cost ill just run the van on mains
as we never go of grid

Last edited Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:10 pm | Scroll up

RE: Booster 1214-8 help and is it safe to just run on 240v all the time

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:51 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

The Schaudt WA 1214-8 Booster's function is to charge the leisure battery from the towcar when towing - it plays no part in supplying the caravan's 12V system when either on mains hook up or when relying solely on the leisure battery to provide 12V power to the caravan.

Your Puck will have the Scheiber BIP unit which charges the leisure battery when on mains hook up, and distributes 12V to lights, pumps etc.

If 12V lights etc aren't functioning when not on hook up (and the leisure battery is charged up sufficiently) then it could be that the battery fuse has blown - it's the bottom one on the Scheiber BIP unit.

The Scheiber circuitry includes a protection diode which is configured to prevent major damage to the charging circuit should the leisure battery be connected arse about face - in such an event the battery fuse will blow but sometimes the protection diode will blow aswell.

Last edited Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:10 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:43 am
by adam stait (deleted)

Hi many thanks for the advise
I am used to caravans having a 12v master switch I take it on the Eriba it’s just the switch on the BIP unit
As we had no demo when we picked it up from leisure first and when we connected the battery we had the problem as some wires where hanging of the booster that we did not see . Maybe happens in transit or from them cleaning the van .

If it is the diode how would I get it fixed ? As a local mobile caravan engineer did check all the fuses for me .
And as we always use sites with hook up, can we safely just use the van only running on mains if we cover up the battery terminals
As I know with other caravans they don’t advise this as they do need a leisure battery

Regards
Adam

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:00 pm
by JohnE (deleted)

Quote: adam stait wrote in post #3
I am used to caravans having a 12v master switch I take it on the Eriba it’s just the switch on the BIP unit.
I think you may be referring to the circuit breaker on the right next to the fridge relay - this isn't a 12V master switch.
Its function is to provide 12V to the caravan from the towcar's permanent 12V feed when a leisure battery isn't fitted.
If left switched on it can sometimes cause the leisure battery fuse to blow while towing, so should be left off.

If it is the diode how would I get it fixed?
I have repaired (and modified) quite a few BIP units so you could send it (or bring the van) to me together with the suspect Booster to carry out any repairs required and fully test both units.

Can we safely just use the van only running on mains if we cover up the battery terminals?
You could, although it depends on the state of the BIP unit as you're not sure if it's working correctly and supplying the correct output voltage.

But why wouldn't you want to have the caravan's electrics working as they should?

And did Leisure First give you any warranty when you bought the van?

Pepé Le Pew likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:33 pm
by adam stait (deleted)

Thanks again they sent me a new booster today but like you predicted no difference.
Yes has a warranty but it’s over a 5 hour round trip and already been down twice once to see van and then to pick it up .
We have a week booked in in a week time so will use it on 240v then might contact you to repair the bip unit as long as not crazy money

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:22 am
by JohnE (deleted)

Quote: adam stait wrote in post #5
...might contact you to repair the bip unit as long as not crazy money
I look forward to hearing from you, Adam.

BipRepairCelebration.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:19 am
by Tomored | 2.128 Posts

Hi Adam , John modified my wiring on my 430, I was completely at a loss, nothing seemed to work. I took it to him from the Isle of Wight. Never had a problem since .That was six years ago, well worth the trip. John is a really nice chap very approachable and friendly. I fully recommend him.

The only way to have a friend, Is to be one
eribaMotters and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 70 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1