Securing the leisure battery

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:17 pm
by PhilipM | 208 Posts

The screws which hold the metal brackets keeping the leisure battery connected to the floor no longer have sufficient grip to stop the battery moving and ripping the screws out (especially on bumpy roads like the dreaded A34).

Has anyone else had this issue and can recommend a battery tray or something? How did you make sure it was fully secure? The old matchstick in the hole trick only lasts for so long before a big bump causes it to happen again. I tried some anti-slip matting underneath and this seems to stop some of the movement when the screws loosen.

Thanks.

IMG_6036.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Last edited Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:19 pm | Scroll up

RE: Securing the leisure battery

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:40 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

Cut a piece of 12 or 18 mm plywood about 30 mm too big on all edges. Screw this to the floor with a dozen screws then re-fix the battery to this.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Pepé Le Pew likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:57 pm
by Nick G (deleted)
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I would recommend using a battery box that fits the battery snugly - plenty of choice on ebay. I fitted one using 'Sticks like *' to securely fasten to the floor. The battery is held tightly in place and the lid placed on, then finally the supplied strap is put on. Everything neat, tidy and secure. Don't forget the vent hole in the box low down.

Nick

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:27 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

I really like "sticks like, liquid nails" etc, in fact I went through 25/30 tubes of the stuff on our bungalow refurb, but I've learnt it is not perfect.
If you use the eco water based stuff, that still melts the skin on your fingers, then it does not like plasticised or cold surfaces. You can get a failure of the joint.
If you use the spirit based stuff then this is not a problem, but you will never manage to break the joint without wrecking the materials.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:54 am
by Simboc2004 | 713 Posts

I'd recommend a battery box as well. That way you can change where the screws screw into the floor.

If you want to fill the existing holes and refit, then use Ronseal Wood Filler - two part like car body filler. Sets in 5 mins. Just fill the holes, then mark and drill a pilot hole before screwing down

Poppy, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Steve and Debbie likes this post!
Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:35 am
by PhilipM | 208 Posts

Thank you for the responses so far. A battery box may be the way forward.

Last edited Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:36 am | Scroll up

in Improving your pride and joy and how to fix things Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:55 pm
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Whilst fitting some gas struts to the seats of our 420 I noticed this issue. A quick fix was to fit some M6 thread inserts which give a much firmer hold in mdf/chipboard etc. I used m6 bolts and big washers rather than the hex socket heads shown here. Previously used these to fix a fire ext. to the fridge side panel after the screws just ripped out. Hasn't moved since.

IMGP4945.JPG - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 30 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0