Randa's worst nightmare

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:55 pm
by cabbie37 | 648 Posts

His&Hers took the opportunity for a week touring visiting friends last week. We stopped off for lunch one day and encountered this. Rigs of this size are not uncommom in the States (and are known as a 5th wheel) and, as we are coming to the end of the season out here, there are plenty on the road making their way back to their winter quarters. I had hoped that an opportunity would present itself to show a photo and was sure that Randa would be thrilled...

IMG_4845.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

I thought it might also be fun to show Hers Hymer Touring GT (as they are known out here - a layout similar to a 540) in comparison....

IMG_4848.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Randa's worst nightmare

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:48 pm
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

Hi Hugh. Mrs B's American Eriba is looking fine but those 5th wheelers, some over a million dollars, are something else.

We've been following the recent series of Million Pound Motorhomes https://www.channel5.com/show/million-pound-homes/season-3 and some of the owners featured are unbelievable. However, whether they are Yanks ot Brits, small van owners or 5th wheelers, they all come out with the same patter "you're free to go anywhere you like at any time you like and park up anywhere".

I guess you've seen some of the 5th wheeler parks in the States, many of them with a personal fixed accommodation block next to the hardstanding. For many owners it's their only home.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

cabbie37 likes this post!
Last edited Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:49 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:00 pm
by cabbie37 | 648 Posts

Yes, I can understand that and, indeed, have seen it. One of Mrs B's work colleagues, who travels the States working on fixed term (maybe 6 month duration or longer) projects, does not own a conventional home, but lives with her husband and leads an itinerant life style, going from one location to another as contracts demand it.

The one I photographed is not the smallest I have seen on this trip. That one only has 2 axles, 3 axle versions are not uncommon. And they all have 'slide outs', portions of the body that extend out to the side othe frame, expanding living quarters to (it must be said) extremely comfortable accommodation. My Brother-in-Law has a smal version of the type and, even that, has a full size bathroom...

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:58 am
by Islay Corbel (deleted)

Somehow, in America, they're fine. There's the space for them. I understand that people want and need them. But in Europe, it's getting really silly. There are more and more, the roads can't cope and were never designed to manage such enormous vehicles. Towns get completely seized up. There are towns in France that ban them now. The little streets just can't cope. We're told that vans (small ones) are becoming more popular but I'm not seeing proof of that. What we are seeing are a LOT more caravans. People are digging their grandparents vans out of barns, doing them up and using them. It's lovely to see.
Having said all that, I bet that 5th wheel is really comfy inside LOL Roger, we've been watching that programme too. Some of them make your eyes boggle.

Betty, 1998 Triton 430 and Colin, a Renault Mégane.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:46 am
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.018 Posts

The panel van conversions (PVC) are selling like hot cakes in the UK. Last week the site we were on had a row of seven of them and overall there were more than a dozen in a site with a total of 25 pitches occupied. Having owned two PVCs over the years I suspect many new owners will be disillusioned as they're really not big enough for comfort. It's interesting that whilst the original PVCs were all under 6m long, there are more and more models available on 6.4m long bodies. That suggests that the 6m owners do feel rather constrained.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.

Last edited Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:47 am | Scroll up

Visitors
2 Members and 80 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 2