Poor planning leads to particularly poor performance (or something like that.)

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:43 pm
by Aaron Calder | 3.797 Posts

On Monday evening I spent a couple of hours doing the two things I hate most about caravanning in the UK - planning and booking a short break.

First off, I try to find a site en route to our destination area (The Dales) for two nights but I'm forced to stray well off the most direct route ending up at St Neots C&CC. We've been there before when the site was flooded and said we'd go back one day to have a better look around so it's not a complete disaster. £25 non-returnable deposit paid and a further £25.20 to pay on arrival - kerching!.

Next stop a small private site at Howden, East Yorkshire for three nights so we can visit friends and relatives whom we haven't seen for three years. £75 paid up front by bank transfer - kerching!

Next, try to find a suitable club site anywhere in the Dales that can take us over the weekend? Forget it. So we end up at Barnard Castle C&CC (again!) for three nights paying another £25 deposit with a further £55 due on arrival - kerching!

At this point I lost the will to live so I will have to play it by ear once we get to t'North.

If I asked them nicely do you think Randa or Motters would do the planning for me in future? They do seem to enjoy it.

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet
scouteralf likes this post!
Scroll up

RE: Poor planning leads to particularly poor performance (or something like that.)

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:59 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

Randa's your man.
We planned 6 or 7 sites for our 5 weeks away at present.
Initial idea was a route taking in 6 or 7 areas and a short list of sites in each to drop in and if we liked one stay.
Eventually I realised that site availability, even looking months in advance was an issue, so gave up, decided on 4 and booked them all in advance.
The saving grace is we have been allocated 3 lovely pitches so far and with booking early paid euro 14-20 a night.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Last edited Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:00 pm | Scroll up

RE: Poor planning leads to particularly poor performance (or something like that.)

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:27 pm
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

We've only had to book two sites on our 17 site trip. Brighton C and MH Club site for two nights as the Dieppe ferry was leaving at 10 am and we also wished to have an up to date look at Brighton. That cost about £49 a night. Enough said.

Then we had to book the Dieppe site in advance because we had to put a French destination address for Mrs Cat. That was 14 or 16 euros a night, can't remember now.

All the others including the 3 or 4 we added as we went, we just arrived, mostly before lunch and the most we have paid is 18 euros (we think) where the best was 14 euros. There was also the deal of 2 weeks for 1 at Pont du Gard so that worked out at only 12 euros a night.

We've just been in touch with Julie and Neil Grafo who are currently doing an extended Devon and Cornwall trip. They have just been refused entry and turned away from a C and MH Club site because according the the jobs worths, not the book, they were an hour too early.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
eribanaut likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:49 pm
by cabbie37 | 648 Posts

I rarely camp in the UK and have always been horrified of the costs compared to my favoured variety of a French Municipal...

likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:59 am
by Julie Grafo | 3.473 Posts

“Jobsworth” tried to tell us we would have had an email. Explained we had been away for 7 weeks at that point and frequently had no signal whatsoever. What really annoyed Neil was the site was half empty, they could have let us in but Herr Commandant said in what to us sounded patronising that they were attempting to train members into the later arrival time 😡
So we’re on a CS just two miles up the road, rang and arrived five minutes later. Couldn’t be friendlier.
We won’t be renewing our membership of the C&MC,only joined during COVID to increase options for sites, next year if all stays as it is we’ll be abroad again.
Just as an aside, later arrival times are a real pain. If like us you’re touring you have to leave the site you’re on by 11am. Most sites earliest arrival is 1, we’ve had one that was 2 pm. That’s a long time between sites if you’re only moving 40-50 miles. We’ve had to sit in lay-bys making ourselves a coffee just to kill time. Much prefer the continental system of just avoiding the lunch time, arrive when you like.

Julie & Neil. 2008 530GT pushing Honda CR-V 1.6 iDTEC SE+
Aaron Calder, Simboc2004, Randa france and like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:44 am
by cabbie37 | 648 Posts

I hope you make it clear to C&MC why you will not be renewing.... I would have been livid...

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:13 pm
by Simboc2004 | 713 Posts

Me too. Last year (in our brief motorhome phase) we stayed at the Exeter Racecourse CNC site, which we loved, however we were told we must park with our rear, driver's side corner to the pitch marker to ensure our side door didn't open facing another unit's side door (or awning), however our van (a Chausson) was continental style and had the door on the "wrong" side. When i suggested to the Warden that we, therefore, needed to park the other way round to ensure the door didn't face the next unit, we were told that a rule was a rule and we must conform... idiotic.

Even worse was that we went with family members (in another van) and would have liked our two doors to face each other, but weren't allowed to and we ended up facing another stranger's door and then had to walk all the way round the van to get to talk to our family.

Utter madness...

Athena, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:14 pm
by Simboc2004 | 713 Posts

CMC not CNC. Doh!

Athena, our 2005 Eriba 430GT, leading our Volvo V70 astray...
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:56 pm

Don’t worry Hugh, I will be explaining to the C&MC exactly how their jobsworth wardens have lost them a member.

cabbie37 and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:02 pm

To me, I think the C and MH Club are reacting to its vast number of campervan owners. Let's not forget that the majority of wardens now use campervans.

As you say Julie, it's nice to turn up before lunch to set up the caravan and then if you wish, you can go out in the afternoon whereas camper vanners park in a lay-by etc for most of the day, do the necessary shopping and turn up at the campsite at around 5pm by which time all the good spots have been taken.

Therefore we caravanners need re-educating and re-training.

Randa

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Julie Grafo likes this post!
Last edited Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:03 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:21 pm

What was really annoying about the Ilfracombe site is it’s a “no facilities” site so they haven’t even got to clean the toilets. What exactly do they do for the two hours between members leaving and arriving? Maybe they cut the grass with scissors to ensure regulation length 😲
Rant over, ‘nuff said.

Crystal, Randa france and Frantone like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:51 pm
by Steve and Debbie | 1.086 Posts

Talking about campervans. Keith Nesbitt is on his last campsite of his 63 day French tour so I thought I would look at the details and found it catered for self service campervans.

"The automatic motorhome area is simple ...You enter, you settle!
The self-service camper area is:..."

http://camping-sainteclaire.com/en/

This is the future

Screenshot 2022-07-01 225500.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Steve

Puck 120 GT - Nissan Pulsar 1.5DCi

Last edited Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:56 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:04 am

https://www.campingcard.co.uk/france/upp...-claire-113364/

Yes, that facility has been outside the gates of the Camping Sainte-Claire site for a number of years now. I don't know if the campsite is privately owned or not but "the owner" is very proud of his campsite/garden which has won many awards. It also has splendid views of the countryside and a very long cycle path (ex railway line).

As it is easily accessible to the motorway and has a number of large supermarkets about 5 minutes down the road, I suspect that he or the council didn't wish to attract heavyweight overnighters onto the lawns of the campsite. Those that are let in are placed on hard standings.

Randa

Last edited Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:06 am | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:42 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

I'm putting my neck on the block for the second time today, so here goes.
I am in favour of a depart by and arrive after time system. For a very small minority of sites it is needed due to site access. Whilst pitch maintenance may not take up 2 hours, I'd expect a good proportion of this time could be spent in cleaning shower blocks etc.
No system is perfect, but a leave before and arrive after lunch timing would sound realistic and reasonable.
What I do find unacceptable is changing systems mid season, for that there is no excuse or reason, just a sign of bad management.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Simboc2004 and Williebraveheart like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:40 pm
by AlanC | 101 Posts

We stayed at the Wolverley C&CC site earlier this year as it is near one section of our family. We arrived after 1pm and were shown a pitch on the grass. We swiveled the van round so the door and awning faced the evening sun. When the warden came back later with another camper I got into trouble for facing the wrong way. He said he had asked which side our awning was on and placed us on the pitch the right way apparently.
Shame he didn't say so to me at the time.
As the awning was up by then, he rather ungraciously came back and said we could stay put.

The following day we went off-site to a farm shop arriving back at about 12pm. The single driveway was full of caravans and motorhomes who had all arrived before the witching hour and we couldn't get to our van, having to wait in the queue until the jobsworth let the new arrivals through at 1pm.
I think the clubs must especially seek out difficult wardens.

BTW, CMC formal policy is not to insist vans pitch A-frame out. As we all have continental vans we are allowed to park A-frame to the peg and the same applied to our VW California (sliding door on the driver's side) when we had one. There is a note to this effect somewhere on the CMC site. Am not sure about C&CC policy regarding this issue.

Alan

Liz and Alan
Troll 530 Touring 2015 now pushing a Honda CR-V

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:42 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 36 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 1