Awning light

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:19 pm
by bradbos | 31 Posts

The awning light on my 1999 triton seems to have stopped working. The last time we were away it didn’t come on but we were non electric . Seems that it only works when hooked up. Is this correct? When I’ve got home and hooked it up to charge my battery it still isn’t coming on even after changing the bulb. Any. Ideas?
Peter

Scroll up

RE: Awning light

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:45 pm
by Steamdrivenandy | 1.018 Posts

Normal convention is that it's not supposed be able to light when connected to the car, a split charge relay cuts the power. Maybe the relay is stuck. Another possibility is broken wiring especially if not LED as it can get hot and over time the wire goes brittle.

I had nothing to do on this hot afternoon
But to settle down and write you a line

Skoda Karoq 1.5 Petrol DSG and a 420. A Bailey Phoenix + 420, with oven, microwave, shower cubicle, solar panel, ATC and external gas point.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:48 pm
by bradbos | 31 Posts

Where’s the relay?

Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:43 am
by Aaron Calder | 3.797 Posts

So far as I'm aware, it's built into the BIP unit.

JohnE will advise.

The following quote is from my write up about modernising BIP electrics in the 'How to...' guide section:

"The only "problem" that I found was that the awning light now operates irrespective of whether or not the EHU is connected. I thought this was a small price to pay and resigned myself to it but when John rang to check on my progress, he explained that the original BIP had its own 12V transformer and when its circuitry detected that mains current was connected it then switched a relay to allow the awning light to operate. As the 12V transformer has now been removed, John has wired the system to operate a relay on the printed circuit board when the caravan is attached to the car. This relay now inhibits the awning light from operating when towing thereby preventing me from breaking the law. Clever, eh?'

Forum Administrator
2003 Triton 420 and Audi A4 2.0Tfsi S-line SE Cabriolet

Last edited Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:49 am | Scroll up

Visitors
6 Members and 74 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12660 topics and 106594 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 6