Interesting Info Tyres

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:55 pm
by Greycamper (deleted)

My Tyres were advertising Barum Tyres, So sent email to ask the age of Tyres.

As you know My Tyres is an EU company in Germany.

Answer to my email about caravan tyres

Thank you very much for your interest in us.

We would like to inform you that we consider as being new all the tyres that have been manufactured during the last 2 years. Since the tyres in your order are shipped directly from various warehouses all around Europe according to availability, we are unable to ascertain the DOT number of a specific tyre due to the limitations of our system.

Please note that during ordinary storage over the course of time, the specific characteristics of the material may improve, since the rubber mixture is not immediately subjected to the stresses of driving, and so it may further harden. According to BRV (the German Tire Retail and Vulcanization Trade Association e.V.), tyres stored properly for up to three years are considered factory-new, and up to five years are considered new.

We would recommend that you check our Home page where you would be able to find the option " Production year 2023 guaranteed " and check if your required tyres are offered here.

If you have further questions or concerns, simply send us an email or call us.
With regards,

eribaMotters, FINNWOODY, cruickie and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

RE: Interesting Info Tyres

in Anything Eriba-related Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:37 pm
by Randa france | 13.048 Posts

I posted on another thread that I still have one tyre off my 1999 Troll that was manufactured in 1998 so came new (as a spare) when the van was new.

The reason I still have it is because it was always a spare so was hidden, suitably wrapped up under the Eriba for the whole of its life.

Although I wouldn't dare use it now, I did get it checked out recently by a well known tyre company and they could find nothing wrong with it.

IMG_4291.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

ERIBAFOLK POP UP EVERYWHERE 1999 Eriba Troll 530 pushing a VW Touran 2L TDi Match . FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:52 pm
by John Cross | 267 Posts

Our 2005 troll was laid up for most of its life, the wheels were removed and stored in a dark and cool place for many years. I had them changed once we got the van on the road and the place that fitted the new tyres, said that the original tyres were in great condition.
I gave them to a mate, who used them on his Citreon Berlingo van. He's still using them now.

2005 Troll 540 and 1994 LR Discovery 1 Fred and Diane
Randa france likes this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:47 am
by Valjoneribafan (deleted)

I used My Tyres to replace the Barum tyres on my van for new Barums, I paid a small extra charge for 2022 manufacture,
they arrived with 23/22 date stamped into them, they were less than a month old.
The 5 year old tyres removed looked to be in good condition, when removed there were obvious bulges inside the tyres
and they had had to have massive amounts of balance weights a few months earlier. Appearance can be very misleading.

SOULBLUESMAN68 and Simboc2004 like this post!
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:01 pm
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

I have just replaced the tyres on my 2017 Triton. They were week 24 year 2016. I had decided to let them run until the 7th year as until this year the van when not used has been garage stored with a cover on and up on axle stands over the winter.
I've used MyTyres before so gave them a go. The only 2023 tyres they had were rated D-D [Energy + Wet performance] and would have cost £90+ fitted at an outlet 22 miles away. We are a bit out in the sticks in Devon so home fitting could not be provided by any on-line retailer, although so would deliver to a garage about 8 miles away.
As mentioned earlier, 5 year old tyres can be sold as new and 3 year old tyres as brand new. This does not bode well if you are sourcing them for a caravan.
I decided not to go for the direct Barum replacement due to high cost [£140+ for one tyre] and the surprisingly low rating. After a lot of searching the best performance I could find was a C-A rated Falken. I phoned tyre garages to get an idea of DOT date, but this information is not kept by the warehouses that supply them. The best I could hope for was mid 2022 judging by what they had been supplied with recently.
I eventually settled on the Falken and got them through Protyre who are supplied/part of the Micheldever group. They are w k22 yea r22. They worked out at £76 each, fitted and balanced.

https://www.protyre.co.uk/tyres/4x4-tyre...fa17f4c41e16cee

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.

Simboc2004 likes this post!
Last edited Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:03 pm | Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:35 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

Barum is apparently a subsidiary of Continental. Continental produce the Conti Vanco (various types) which are much more available in the uk and would appear to be the same tyre. When I checked with the supplier (local F1 Autocentre) they said they should be fresh as they sell lots of these for vans, but if the date was too old I could reject them. The dates were about 3 months old when I bought mine.
I got a couple of spare wheels and kept two of my originals which I use over the winter or during long storage periods, and keep the road wheels in the garage out of the sun.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:57 am
by eribaMotters | 5.403 Posts

Steve, it would be useful to know when you bought them so members can get as fresh as possible tyres. I know back in 2014 the replacement tyres I sourced where only a couple of months old, but it is difficult now to get so new.

Colin

Forum Moderator. aka Oscar - Audi A3 1.5 petrol _ ex 430, 552, camplet trailer tent, 310, now a nice white 2017 430.
Scroll up

in Anything Eriba-related Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:16 am
by Stevejoyce (deleted)

This was December 2021 Colin. I think it helped that the fitter was also a caravanner so was aware of the issue.
Another advantage of having a spare set of wheels is that you can shove them in the boot to get new tyres. Handy if you are out in the sticks.

Triton 420 towed by a Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi

Last edited Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:29 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 5 Guests are online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 12659 topics and 106590 posts.

disconnected Forum-Chat Members online 0